Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star Wars Prequels

As LunarWeaver stated, the dialogue was the problem. The actors would've been fine, but the awful lines they were given were most likely too difficult to act properly.

Otherwise, I love Star Wars, it's so great
    Last edited by Medi; 03-22-2007 at 02:34 AM.

Rye made this!

Darth Maul kicks ass
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Darth Maul kicked ass, and has not been duplicated in amazement since.

What did they do to up the talent in the subsequent two sequels in the PT?

episode 2: flipping muppet, and a 2v1 light saber duel
    episode 3: a CGI robot with not two, or three, but 4 light sabers. Obi Wan however instead of spending some 20 minutes dueling him cuts off his hands right away and it's suddenly a chase followed by a gun fight

"So uncivilized"

Granted episode 3 had a pretty extensive final 1v1 dual with no gimmicks. That was very good to watch

ps: "Obi Wan" copied Ryan Wieber's stance multiple times in the movie

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8NE5elL30w4

2:58-3:00

I didn't mind the prequels. They left me sorta disapointed because it looked like what happened was that they spend 80% of the budget on CGI and almost no time on a script. Ep2 was probably the best, because there was a sort of love interest between Amadala and Anikin, there was Ani struggling with his emotions, etc. You know stuff that made me give a crap about them.

There were really only two things wrong with the prequels. First off, they kept interrupting the thin plotline to introduce characters from the OT. I don't mind Yoda, but by the time you've introduced Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, and a 10 year old Bobba Fett, not to mention a totally contrived scene where Yoda travels to Wookieland and "just so happens" to meet a Wookie named "Chewbacca", it's old. Nobody smurfing cares about Owen and Beru. Chewbacca didn't even have to be born yet, nor did Bobba. Stop the fanservice. The other thing was the feel. It felt like a 2-hour tech demo, with the plot only serving to set up the next action sequence. I honestly never expected to be bored of lightsabers and space battles, but since the plot and characters were so thin, there was no one that you were really cheering for. The effects were good, but you just never cared if the Jedi won. There was nothing at stake.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Episode III and Episode II need less action, better dialog, more story and less special effects. I don't know what could be done with episode I...no jar jar doesn't seem to be enough. Maybe just a total re-write and re-invention.

The only one I deem worthy is episode II.

As far as star wars goes. No. Just no.
    Entertainment value is through the roof. But the acting, and dialogue was terrible. The love story was so bloody painful, I actually skipped all the scenes with anakin and padme acting all "ooo i lovey-wuvy too you pumpkin face *smooch*" Piss off with that you prigs.
    Granted, the original trilogy wasn't much better, as far acting & dialogue goes (except for Harrison Ford, who really made those movies. Best actor in the whole 6 movies), but as it was said before, it was the character. Great, the way that the characters were portrayed, was fantastic, and couldn't have been done any other way.
    The 1-3 characters were over acted, Samuel Jackson as Mace Windu was just an embarassment to the series. He was the worst for over acting.
    I hope they make 7-9, but with a different director, and writer. It has some great potential, but with Lucas going all batsh*t insane, he can't do it anymore.
    Oh well. peace out.

-Proxy

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I agree that it would have been much better to start at the beginning of the Clone Wars. The Clone Wars were (albeit only slightly) familiar, as it had been mentioned (fine, only one line) in the original trilogy. A lot of the stuff that happened in episode I was really just an extended set-up for the events in the Clone Wars. As much as I'd hate to see Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Niesan is awesome) and Darth Maul cut out, the series wouldn't be totally lost without them.

The prequel trilogy tried to cover too much ground in three movies and the story got spread thin. Anakin's fall should have started sooner (the brief scene in episode II turned out to have nothing to do with the reasons for his inevitable fall). I mean, let's face it, the original Star Wars trilogy was never really about Luke Skywalker. I do believe that Lucas himself has said that the whole series is about Vader. I think the prequels should have reflected that more and given Anakin's descent into darkness a little more development instead of throwing it all together in the third movie.

On another note, I don't blame any of the cast for the poor acting in the movies; there was very little they could do with the crappy dialogue. That's really what did it for me. Then again, the dialogue in the original trilogy isn't exactly spectacular either. I agree with Hamee's assessment of the big difference between the originals and the prequels. The characters in the original trilogy were just better. Very few characters in the prequels came off as anything interesting. Anakin should have been far more interesting than the typical angsty teenager, Padme was annoying (and I love Natalie Portman), and the villains weren't anything spectacular. It's absolutely terrible when the best villain from the trilogy is the guy who had more lines in the promos than in the actual movie.

I think the late River Phoenix probaby would've been a better Anakin Skywalker than Hayden Christensen.