Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grindhouse

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Grindhouse

I can not wait for this movie to open. Primarily, I'm curious to see how well Eli Roth does with a Tarantino script (at least I'm fairly sure Roth is directing "Death Proof" and Rodrigez "Planet Terror", but I could be confused) as they tend to have varying levels of artistic and gratuitously violent content. I'm also wondering how the double feature will compare to other exploitation films. I'm a big fan of Romero, so it'll be interesting to see how the sickos in "Planet Terror" work out.

It's also interesting to see Rose McGowan in the role of Cherry. She hasn't done much of anything that I've been particularly interested in lately, so I'm excited to see what she might have to bring to the table.

And Bruce Willis is making an uncredited cameo in "Planet Terror" so of course that excites me in ways I shouldn't talk about.

Use this thread to talk about Grindhouse, grindhouses you know that might still exist, exploitation films, or to admonish those of us interested in these types of things for our lewdness and debauchery.

Also, what's your favorite exploitation film? I'm partial to Night of the Living Dead, even though it's really depressing, as well as The Last House on the Left, but that's because I'm a vengeful person.

Finally, do you feel that all films of this genre lack any artistic merit whatsoever? I won't argue that the body of Eli Roth's work (notable films include Hostel and Cabin Fever xDDDD) is pretty much cannon fodder for those finding the genre contemptible, but can you really compare those films with great pieces Shaft or The Wild One?

And I just wanted to make a thread.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Psh, Night of the Living Dead wasn't exploitation. I don't think Last House on the Left was either, though I'm not 100%. NotLD was just horror!

I'm pretty sure Tarantino is directing Death Proof. They're really pushing the flick as being Tarantino and Rodriguez.

Actually I just looked it up:
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0462322/fullcredits#directors
    Rodriguez and Tarantino for the main segments, Roth and others just doing fake trailers.

I'm really pumped about this/these flick(s).

Yeah Grindhouse looks good, but I'm hoping Tarantino goes back to his roots and makes a good gritty realistic film again. Don't get me wrong, Kill Bill was good, but I just don't think it stands up well against the likes of Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown.

I'm hoping his next film after Grindhouse, Inglorious Bastards will lean more on the realistic side than sensationalist.

As for Robert Rogriguez, I saw the trailer and when the woman straps on that rifle to her leg, I couldn't help but chuckle. He'll never change. :P
    What I've been listening to:

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I really want to like Grindhouse, because I really dig Tarantino and Rodriguez's work with Sin City. But I think it just looks...stupid, bad, and kind of disgusting. Bruce Willis is another major plus, but the lady with the gun leg counteracts the awesome of the directors and Bruce Willis and is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen. Maybe the reviews will turn out positive, but I think it's looking pretty awful.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

This movie looks smurfing stupid. I'll watch it all the same, seeing as it's a Tarntino film.

I really am hoping that it does not suck ass - like the previews portray it as. But the hope seems glum.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    I really want to like Grindhouse, because I really dig Tarantino and Rodriguez's work with Sin City. But I think it just looks...stupid, bad, and kind of disgusting. Bruce Willis is another major plus, but the lady with the gun leg counteracts the awesome of the directors and Bruce Willis and is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen. Maybe the reviews will turn out positive, but I think it's looking pretty awful.
    I'm thinking the same thing...although if reviews are positive then it will still not change that I think this movie looks incredibly stupid. I will just wait for Sin City 2.

FOA: ok so inbetween these two movies (which are apparently 70 mins each) theres going to be like an intermission of trailers for movies that done exist (they're called fake trailers) Eli Roth, impretty sure, is directing one of these 'fake trailers' Rob Zombie is also doing one!

im excited to see this one lol!

[Life is Eternity in a nutshell]

You know, I really wasn't impressed with either of the Kill Bill movies, and the trailers for Grindhouse look equally unimpressive.

Agreed: the whole "leg rifle" thing tends toward the ridiculous.

All this said, I'm sure I'll rent it at the video store simply because of who's involved.

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

Eli Roth decided to direct a movie about a killer that goes on his spree during Thanksgiving. Tentatively entitled Thanksgiving. I probably won't see it though becaus I am not a big fan of movie theaters or Quentin Tarantino. His movies kind of bore me. Rodriguez, however, is a very good filmmaker. So conflicted.

I'll probably wait for the DVD or go see it while I'm visiting my girlfriend. Who knows.

Looks spiffy, I organised to go see this way back in January even.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by *ETERNAL FANTASY* View Post
    FOA: ok so inbetween these two movies (which are apparently 70 mins each) theres going to be like an intermission of trailers for movies that done exist (they're called fake trailers) Eli Roth, impretty sure, is directing one of these 'fake trailers' Rob Zombie is also doing one!

im excited to see this one lol!
    I see. And I thought Rob Zombie might be involved at some point, since Sherri Moon is on the bill. Thanks clearing that up for me, y'all.

And the whole POINT of these movies is to be ridiculous and over the top. Exploitation films are meant to be dedicated first and foremost to sex, violence and gore, and other icky "non-artistic" things. However, I feel, that the best exploitation films (again, Night of the Living Dead and Last House on the Left as examples, because they are graphic) have subtle thematic qualities that focus on pertinent social issues of their time. Night of the Living Dead heavily focuses on the lack of responsibility of the military and the United States government, while The Last House on the Left is a commentary on youth culture during the war in Vietnam. (SPOILER)What I find the most interesting about the latter is that it also works as a metaphor for what the youth during that era experienced by way of forced loss of innocence, and the duty of the parents to rectify this situation.

As a huge fan of both Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriquez this is probably the film I'm looking forward to the most this year. Ih, I want to see this movie so bad!

Survival Is Ruthless The Real Dark Messenger's Avatar

I love QT and I am so looking forward to this movie. But I am really upset that they are talking about splitting it to two movies when it hits the cinema here in DK!

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Man, the gun-leg chick is like half the reason I even want to watch this movie. She is going to be AWESOME. I probably like her so much because she reminds me of the Scotsman from Samurai Jack, and he was a badass, but yeah.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Why does she remind you of the Scotsman?