Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Tidus' last name

Blog Entries

Knowing nowadays that it's pronounced "Teedus", I can only say his surname must be Golfball.

Tidus Golfball and maybe you will hit da hole in one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Just like Yuna's last name is Braskadaughter, right?
    Actually, typically, females got the names of their mother, not the father. And those names tended to be traded away for the family name of their husband, so they are very rare these days. But we don't ever find out the name of Yuna's mother, as far as I can remember.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Sunshine.
    I found it really funny, that no one, ( even Yuna ), never said his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodnight View Post
    Sunshine.
    No one said his name because you can rename him in-game, and we don't yet have nearly good enough text-to-speech to make that work. And they certainly weren't going to have Yuna's VA record fifty thousand different names. And even if they did, some names are spelled identically, but pronounced differently, so they'd still miss tons.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodnight View Post
    Sunshine.
    No one said his name because you can rename him in-game, and we don't yet have nearly good enough text-to-speech to make that work. And they certainly weren't going to have Yuna's VA record fifty thousand different names. And even if they did, some names are spelled identically, but pronounced differently, so they'd still miss tons.
    That doesn't make it less funny. They should have just not let players change his name, and they should have followed local grammatical procedure when creating his name.

Why the hell do you have a Pony avatar?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Just like Yuna's last name is Braskadaughter, right?
    Actually, typically, females got the names of their mother, not the father. And those names tended to be traded away for the family name of their husband, so they are very rare these days. But we don't ever find out the name of Yuna's mother, as far as I can remember.
    Depends on the region, but no. Matronymic last names were usually unusual in patriarchal societies (which a lot of them were). People commonly used them as backups if the father was unknown, or died before the child was born. Sometimes, a matronym would be used if a mother was of a significant standing. Like if a really rich woman married some unknown guy for whatever reason.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?