Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid questions

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

Default Stupid questions

I have a couple of fairly stupid, yet at the same time good, questions:

How does Kadaj summon using a support (blue) materia?

Why doesn't Bahamut look like Bahamut?

Whatever happened to fighting with materia? (I think someone should have at least a restore equipped...)

I'd rather not get stupid answers.

Special thanks to dark_lord for the sig!

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

dont use the video games rules. just because its blue doesn't mean its support materia. thats just the colours used in a game. before you argue against this if you plan to, can you give me a good reason that it shouldn't be blue other than "it was red on the game".

Why doesn't Bahamut look like Bahamut?

its a different bahamut. think of it as the 4th bahamut. i think its official name is bahamut sin.

Whatever happened to fighting with materia? (I think someone should have at least a restore equipped...)

i guess its not neccasary and it would make the film seem nerdy if everyone was using materia. kadaj using it is enough i guess.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Yeah, fine.

One more thing: Didn't Tseng die? In the temple of the ancients? What's he doing alive again?

I'll try answering your question by ironically presenting another question: didn't Rufus die in that impossible-to-survive explosion that Weapon caused?

There are no "in game" answers to how Tseng survived just how there are no "in movie" answers to Rufus' survival...Square was clever and was attempting to explain Rufus' survival but Cloud conveniently interrupts him.

My guesses: Tseng somehow managed to escape before the Temple of the Ancients imploded.

OR

The loyal Turks (Reno, Rude, Elena) rescued him.

When is Kadaj's summon materia displayed as blue?

As for the survivors. An in-game explanation for Rufus is given in Dirge of Cerberus where Vincent and Yuffie are helping to evac Midgar. You can tell Rufus is being carted away to a medical facility. The truly tyranical can never be stopped by something as widespread as an explosion. Like Shinra, they have to be killed firsthand by warriors like Sephiroth.

As to Tseng. He wasn't actually in the Temple as Cloud and the others were. He wasn't trapped.
    He's a Turk which means he's tougher than average and the Sephiroth he was up against was just a wimpy clone, like Kadasephy. Since he didn't actually fight him, he only got a pretty nasty cut.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

i think Tifa had some Materia equiped during the fight in the church, i think this because of the blue electrical discharge from one of her gloves as they showed in a closeup during the fight...

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    i think Tifa had some Materia equiped during the fight in the church, i think this because of the blue electrical discharge from one of her gloves as they showed in a closeup during the fight...
    That could have been a limit break. Cloud uses blade beam at one point in the movie, and I mistook that for materia at first. I dunno, it could have been materia Tifa was using.

I don't think so. I think that was an aftersurge from Loz's attack. He as an electrical gauntlet.

it looked to me like Loz's gauntlet apears to use hydrolics, but i guess electricity could be the catalyst to activate them, if the handle went to an igniter of some kind, sortta like an electric lighter's igniter but bigger and more powerfull... as for the possibility of limit break, yeah it could have been residual of her breaks i do remember seeing her use at least 3 of them during that fight, so it is possible, i assumed Materia though like Haste, you see how fast they were fighting, especialy after they showed Kadaj absorb the Materia directly into his trenchcoat (armor) i'm guessing, i figured heck maybe the other equips can absorb Materia as well...

Quote Originally Posted by boys from the dwarf View Post

dont use the video games rules. just because its blue doesn't mean its support materia. thats just the colours used in a game. before you argue against this if you plan to, can you give me a good reason that it shouldn't be blue other than "it was red on the game.
    Yes. Here is something I keep telling people, and it applies to every single video game ever made: gameplay isn't canon. Ever. What is canon are the FMVs (being the most realistic depiction of events being played out), and the general progression of the plot. It is impossible for the actual gameplay to be canon because there are infinite possibilities based of every single move the player makes with any button. When you set yourself in that mind frame, you'll understand how the story works a lot better. Otherwise, you just become overly anal and run into problems like, "Oh, why couldn't they have used a phoenix down on Aerith?" People that ask those kinds of questions annoy me to death. Don't become one of them.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."

--Chancellor Palpatine

Final Fantasy VIII: The Lionheart. Book one of my novelization.

"Being a hero is not what will save you, Squall Leonhart. You are searching for the wrong treasure."

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Quote Originally Posted by darksword12 View Post
    Yeah, fine.

One more thing: Didn't Tseng die? In the temple of the ancients? What's he doing alive again?
    play that point again and after Tsenf talks to you and collapses, press cirlcle and talk to him, you'll find he's still alive. i'd guess the turks take him out of the temple and help nurse him back to health. but Tseng doesn't die.

check it out yourself, look at a script of the game or just take my word for it.

loz's weapon is a stungun i think..

Quote Originally Posted by boys from the dwarf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darksword12 View Post
    Yeah, fine.

play that point again and after Tsenf talks to you and collapses, press cirlcle and talk to him, you'll find he's still alive. i'd guess the turks take him out of the temple and help nurse him back to health. but Tseng doesn't die.

check it out yourself, look at a script of the game or just take my word for it.
    After the section with the rolling boulders, you see a scene in which Tseng is inside the temple and Sephiroth stabs him something awful. Is this just a recording?

One more thing about the materia:

If gameplay isn't canon, then why is the materia multicolored? After Marlene throws one, you see that the materia is the exact same colors as it was in the game. I still say the materia was half-assed. They broke one of the rules of materia mechanics, but they still kept elements of the materia system. I can even accept new materias (I.E., Bahamut Sin) and Kadaj and the others absorbing materia directly, but this pathetic attempt to merge existent mechanics with the realistic stuff just gets me miffed. Screw the "gameplay isn't canon" argument. If Square didn't want materia color to corollate to the materia's effect, they shouldn't have done it in the game! It's not that hard to combine mechanics with canon. Alternatively, they could have just made it red in the movie.

All the responses I have received have been poorly thought-up justifications for a grave inconsistency. The movie was quite good, but I can't help but feel some disappointment.

What rules. the game never specifically said that summon materia had to be red and it wouldn't work if it was any other colour.

Tseng was indeed stabbed by sephiroth but the stab wasn't completely fatal and he survived it.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tseng survived, but he was badly wounded. The English translation just makes it seem like he's dead. That, and the fact that he disappears from the game after that point.

It's not certain that Kadaj actually uses that blue Materia to summon Bahamut Tremor. Sure, we see him slide a blue materia into his arm, and it's the same arm that glows with spirit energy whenever he casts a spell as well. But Yazoo and Loz also get that same blue glow when they're trying to cast spells right before they perish, and we can see they they've got materia of all colours in their arms. So it's entirely possible that Kadaj has a bevy of materia in his arm too.
    Or, it could simply be that the Bahamut Tremor materia is an odd one out. After all, Bahamut ZERO is obtained from the blue huge materia inthe original game.

Tifa doesn't use materia during her fight with Loz - the electric discharge comes from Loz's weapon, which uses hydraulic/pneumatic pistons that are electrified for good measure.
    However, right after the fight, Cloud looks for his materia - presumably to help Tifa - and mutters 'damn!' when he sees the empty case.