Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So I just finished and I am a little confused... (WHOLE THREAD IS SPOILER)

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Bolivar, please play it through first. Not expecting you to LOVE IT LIKE ME XD, but, to play it once fully, would be cool so we could discuss and stuff ^^

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Setzer Gabianni View Post
    Bolivar, please play it through first. Not expecting you to LOVE IT LIKE ME XD, but, to play it once fully, would be cool so we could discuss and stuff ^^
    ? I beat it a few weeks/month or two ago. I didn't post here until I did so.

I take back alot of my comments in this thread about this game. It was very well done. The only problem is the gameplay-to-story ratio, which is a real shame, because in retrospect, this game has a great story. Maybe one of the best in the series? We'll see. Like I said in my last post in this thread, I wanna play through this game again to get a good feel for it. But I started a FFI game, about to beat that, i don't know. i think i'm gonna play through the whole series in order.

Default But... how would you end it?

Renmiri,

I have reread your post a couple of times, and although I appercaite you responding to my post, you really haven't answered my question though? Okay, I get you hate that Vayne went too crazy and out of charcter in the end, and it seems no one can convince you otherwise, BUT, how should FFXII have ended? I mean, what would have been the final battle in your eyes, would you have Vayne join your party and fight who? Or what would have happened? What would have made you happy as a game ending? Could anything have pleased you?

As of now, I can not get a feel on if you TOTALLY hated the story or you just hated Vayne going postal and the lack of Venat story. if you simply hated the whole story and the dialogue, please say so, so I will not be so confused.

a lot of people seem to dislike this game i have such a hard time understanding why. i thought it was obvious why vayne eventually went insane. a group of 6 is wiping out an entire empire. desperate times call for desperate measures. in the grips of defeat he lost his mind. also im sure venat by his side influencing helped too.

and as for Vayne why did he kill his brothers and the senate??? that should be very obvious it was the same reason he killed his father to be in control. he left larsa alive probably thinking the oldest of course would be the ruler.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    a lot of people seem to dislike this game i have such a hard time understanding why. i thought it was obvious why vayne eventually went insane. a group of 6 is wiping out an entire empire. desperate times call for desperate measures. in the grips of defeat he lost his mind. also im sure venat by his side influencing helped too.

and as for Vayne why did he kill his brothers and the senate??? that should be very obvious it was the same reason he killed his father to be in control. he left larsa alive probably thinking the oldest of course would be the ruler.
    Most reasons are because they didn't like the lack of a well defined love story, the lack of interpersonal interaction of the party (though I feel there is enough), and what Bolivar said: "The story to game ratio was off", there is also some issues with the liscence board and gambit system but I find most arguements concerning these to be caused by nitpicking and a general lack of imagination from the player themselves. Both systems are wonderful if you make the most of them.

The cast and plot comes down to personal taste but I feel they get ratted on more than they really deserve. I only wish the future FF's could tell stories like the way they were presented in XII.

As for Larsa and Vayne's relationship... that never quite made sense to me. If Vayne was only after power, why leave his younger (and more loved) brother alive? He's a political liability. It was for this reason I thought Vayne was actually trying to "teach and guide" Larsa into being a kind and good ruler. In his earlier dialogues in the game, I got the impression that Vayne was doing everything for Larsa's benefit. Yet when you get to the last dungeon... that isn't how it's played out, nor is there any real hint except for the short scene where Larsa pleads with Vayne not to demolish Dalmasca. Then you get to the final boss battle and Vayne's final moments and you get the usual "power hungry villain speech".

I do feel that if Vayne's real motive was to set up the world for Larsa and to lead him down the path to be a better ruler than he and their father was, then Vayne would have been a truly captivating villain cause he would be more of a martyr than anything. He "bloodied" his hands and played the role of the villain in order to teach Larsa a valuable lesson about abusing power while at the same time removing the obstacle to humanity's freedom. But alas, the game doesn't do it.

Default yeah..

Wolf Kanno,

Me and you seem to look at this game in the same way. I have really REALLY enjoyed your posts as you seem to open my eyes on a few things. But anyway, I asked Renmiri earlier to no reply, but now I would like to know how you would have liked for the game to end? Or did you think the ending was perfect? What would you have added to the game? If their is a sequal to FF 12, what direction would you like to see it go? yada, yada,

By the way, have you ever played Suikoden 2 or Final Fantasy Tactics, these are two games I am sure you would haved liked as well...

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by FFI Fan View Post
    I asked Renmiri earlier to no reply
    http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ml#post2180056
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    I think I'd make Vayne a bit more nuanced at the end, i.e. more bent on helping humanity - including Dalmasca - get rid of the Occuria and less the mass murderer wannabe. It just got too cheesy.

The entire "freeing men from Occuria" plot was a very interesting twist and very creative IMHO but it got mishandled on the execution. Vayne was made - particularly in the end - as the cheesy 2 dimensional "I want power" clichee bad guy and Cid was made into a loony bin.

Judging by Cid's son the Doctor had been a smart wise guy once, and he was a scientist. Hard to believe he would turn into that lunatic from Pharos tower.

Gabranth was the only convincing, non cheesy villain IMHO.

Ashe's turning her back on people who risked their lives for her was the height of bitchiness to me, that is another thing I'd change
    I think this is what you are looking for FFI Fan...

I almost should link you to half a dozen other threads where Renmiri and I have had a verbal tango on the subject of XII's plot...

Default oops!

Whoops sorry, Renmiri, I saw that before but forgot about it when I made my latest post.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Aye, you should WK

Basically FFX I Fan, considering my opinion on the whole plot, the ending was pretty good. I would have made Vayne less bloodthirsty and more ambivalent about the need to be against Larsa in the end, and would have made Ashe still be good friends with everyone (the beatch just dumped the people who saved her life and her kingdom ) but other than that, it was a pretty good ending.

Had the entire plot been as good as the ending I might not bitch about the story so much. Alas, the end was too little to late for me.... I like XII gameplay, bestiary, world design, etc.. and enjoyed the game a lot, but story wasn't part of what I enjoyed on it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ame-awful.html Still mad about this one

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...nth-later.html I miss Timerk

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...l-fantasy.html I don't really debate with you but your conversation with LazarCotoron was interesting to read...

Most of our other arguments are short and comical really...

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I don't really debate with you but your conversation with LazarCotoron was interesting to read...

Well, you showed me a lot of positive things about XII on other threads, more recent ones. And I agreed, so it wasn't really a debate per se.

But I still think X rules in story telling while XII rules in battle system

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I don't really debate with you but your conversation with LazarCotoron was interesting to read...

Well, you showed me a lot of positive things about XII on other threads, more recent ones. And I agreed, so it wasn't really a debate per se.

But I still think X rules in story telling while XII rules in battle system
    Tactics blows both of them out of the water in terms of both story and gameplay

To be fair, you are one of only a small few of FFX fans I respect on these forums and you have also showed me a few things about both X and XII I didn't see before.

I still believe most of the FFs beat X in every category though

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Pfft! Forgive him Yevon, he has been hit on the head by Gabranth's helmet

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Based on many of the little things that pop up in Final Fantasy XII (most notably many of the bestiary entries), it became apparent to me that the Ivalice of FFXII had far more development and backstory than any other Final Fantasy world today. The potential was all there, and I honestly believe that the development team wanted to make the most of it.

The result, however, was a watered-down version of Final Fantasy Tactic's plot. Tactics has, perhaps, the best plot of any video game I've ever played. Similarly to FFXII, Tactics sported a plot revolving entirely around medieval politics. The main difference is that Tactics doesn't have a number tacked on it. I think that the XII in the title severely limited the complexity of FFXII's story.

It's actually rather disappointing, because it's obvious that FFXII's plot could have been absolutely fantastic. The mediocre story isn't because the team lacked creativity and the ability to make something complex and intriguing, it's because if the plot was anywhere near as involved as it should have been, the result would have been the same as Final Fantasy Tactics--a game you have to follow very, very closely to understand what the hell is going on. Based on how many people absolutely hate Tactics for that reason, dumbing down the plot of FFXII was merely a marketing move.

That's how I feel about it, anyway.