Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you think FF6 is the best Final Fantasy? Why or why not?

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Lancer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FF_Chick View Post
    I do think FFVI is the best because it brought more nostalgia to me. It's music is a masterpeice for a SNES, that's for sure. It's characters all came to life for me, like Cyan's life, Terra's life, all of their lives came a reality to me. They were both sad, joyful, happy ended.
    I also think this game has the best ending, with everything ending like a game should, insted of just flying off to some random place after a meteor almost hit.
    Also the graphics were amazing, right next to Chrono Trigger, if not better.

Oh, and Kefka is the best villain in FF, Period.

(FFVI fangirl talking. But I'm also a FFIX fangirl.)
    I also really enjoyed FFIX it's definetly one of my top 3 favorite final fantasy games.

If just about everyone agrees that this game is the best then why does FF7 still manage to be considered the best final fantasy? Mabye people are talking out of their "rear ends" :mog: and not even considering FF6.
    Actually, I loved Final Fantasy VII nearly as much as Final Fantasy VI (but I only played to outside Junon because when I saved after Junon when I tried to load the files it said "this data file is corrupted). I thought it had a very unique feeling to it, and they were playing with the censorship freedom without being TOO ott. I found it really fun.

But for the record, VI is my favourite. The first one I ever became truly obsessed with, I love everything about it: music, graphics, characters (aside from Cyan, I never saw what the big deal was with him), storyline, Kefka (I suppose you're right about the too much evil thing, but everyone needs a little random insanity in their lives), levelling system...a wonderful game.

(FFIX owns too.)

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    .....I love everything about it: music, graphics, characters (aside from Cyan, I never saw what the big deal was with him)....
    Well, Gestahl was trying to take over Cyans castle. Cyan sealed off the only way into the castle and fought off all the soldiers outside of it. Kefka then not only killed every person in the castle with poison, but also Cyans wife and child. I dont know if Cyan wanted revenge but he had nowhere to go, now that everything he knew and lived for was gone, and became pretty emo. That was his deal.
    [leeza]Holy crap! This is 855.22 kb! Our limit is 50. Read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them.[/leeza]

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    .....I love everything about it: music, graphics, characters (aside from Cyan, I never saw what the big deal was with him)....
    Well, Gestahl was trying to take over Cyans castle. Cyan sealed off the only way into the castle and fought off all the soldiers outside of it. Kefka then not only killed every person in the castle with poison, but also Cyans wife and child. I dont know if Cyan wanted revenge but he had nowhere to go, now that everything he knew and lived for was gone, and became pretty emo. That was his deal.
    Huh. Touché. He still annoys me though.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

No, it's not the best (for me). 2 reasons: Overrated and fanboys that overpraise it. Just like FF VII. Not saying the fanboys are here, though, but they do exist, in large numbers. Almost as large as FF VII. That's scary.

But even so, overrated or not, it's a magnificent game, that's for sure. A good story, interesting characters, obviously godly music (Did I say I love "The Fierce Battle"?). However, as great as this all is, VI has 2 big flaws (flaws for me, can be good point for somebody else).

Namely, the World of Ruin. Uh, almost everything great fell appart there (even my precious Blackjack, quite literally!). The music remained good, so did the graphics, but the story was gone. Sure, character moments and all that stuff, but really, 50% of the game being one big side-quest is too much for me. I really prefered FF V's way of optional stuff (World3). It was shorter there, and better handled IMHO. In VI, they overdid it.

Second thing I generally dislike is the difficulty. Killing the Final Boss, THE villain that ruined the world, in ONE HIT is a big NO. Sure, you have to work for it, but it IS possible. And honestly, with the Espers, everybody can be reraising Ultima Spamming damage cannons. The idea of learning magic through Espers is a very good one. Clone characters are not. At least in FF VI each at least had his/her own ability (Bushido, Blitz, Tools...), but it started the clone-character syndrome found in VII, VIII, X and XII, which I dislike.

Those are my biggest problems I have with FF VI, and they do hurt the game a bit for me. But it's still a very good Final Fantasy. Just, because of the flaws (flaws in my eyes, mind you), it's not as good as FF V was (for me). Still, no FF fan should pass this one up.

Oh, and I have to say: Kuja > Kefka, in my humble little opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Hi welcome to Zozo, where it's full of sun and the foutains pour with wine.

In about Five seconds you'll meet Dada and he'll greet you with hugs for that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post

In about Five seconds you'll meet Dada and he'll greet you with hugs for that comment.
    BWAHAHAHA

dada was so unscary...he fights reclining! come on miss mayor throw something scary

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post

BWAHAHAHA

dada was so unscary...he fights reclining! come on miss mayor throw something scary

He's not suppose to be scarry! Dada is the kindest person in existance! He was just trying to hug you, but you don't know how to hug right.

Second thing I generally dislike is the difficulty. Killing the Final Boss, THE villain that ruined the world, in ONE HIT is a big NO. Sure, you have to work for it, but it IS possible. And honestly, with the Espers, everybody can be reraising Ultima Spamming damage cannons. The idea of learning magic through Espers is a very good one. Clone characters are not. At least in FF VI each at least had his/her own ability (Bushido, Blitz, Tools...), but it started the clone-character syndrome found in VII, VIII, X and XII, which I dislike.
    Firstly, yes you can kill the final boss in "1 attack" but it's really 8 and you have to level enough to do the damage, and choose the right character, both things the average player won't do.

Secondly, it far from started a "clone" syndrome. The only FF without clone syndrome before it was FFIV. FFI, could all be the same, FFII, can train them the same, FFIII, can be the same class, FFV, if you train them enough, just like FFVI, they're clones. My FFV advance, they all know everything, so how are they not clones? FFVI, no matter what characters have specials, that when it boils down to it, make the character what they are. Of the early FF games, FFVI is the second LEAST clone game.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Gaze Upon the Mega Man! JackNapier's Avatar

BWAHAHAHA

He's not suppose to be scarry! Dada is the kindest person in existance! He was just trying to hug you, but you don't know how to hug right.
    There there, they'll learn someday. Anyhow, I think Kefka was a more worthy villain than Kuja, but Kuja does come closer than any other FF bad guy. I also consider FF9 to be a close 2nd to FF6.

i'll never learn to hug

Quote Originally Posted by Übel View Post

BWAHAHAHA

There there, they'll learn someday. Anyhow, I think Kefka was a more worthy villain than Kuja, but Kuja does come closer than any other FF bad guy. I also consider FF9 to be a close 2nd to FF6.
    Wow, us FF6 fans are all the same. FF9 is definetly the second best. It really reminds me of FF6 it's similar in alot of ways. They used 4 characters in the party and they had many times where the party splits up into groups very similar to what happens in the FF6 storyline.

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

Hey, for the record, Dadaluma attacked ME! I wanted to avoid a fight as much as he did, but then he goes and starts attacking me. Either he was being sarcastic, or he's in the habit of doing counter-productive things.

Special thanks to dark_lord for the sig!

Quote Originally Posted by darksword12 View Post
    Hey, for the record, Dadaluma attacked ME! I wanted to avoid a fight as much as he did, but then he goes and starts attacking me. Either he was being sarcastic, or he's in the habit of doing counter-productive things.
    What is this record you speak of? The only thing that should go on your imaginary record is that FFVI is the best game ever. (staying on topic!)

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have to say no. of the first 6 games, VI has a lot of advantages in that the team started the project with alot of knowledge on how to do what they were doing.

But I don't really like its character development. gameplay and storywise. I gotta agree with the poster that this game def makes clone characters.. The only real mechanism the player has to customize/develop his/her characters is espers. despite a few augmenting statistics, their only purpose is to teach spells when certain classes in FF traditionally don't use spells. But in this game, you might as well teach everyone curaga/arise/flare/ultima/agas etc if you're training anyway. The story for each character really falls off in the WoR, as while you're getting back each character, the game really does not take into effect who's in the party, it might as well be anybody, the storytelling and character interaction just wasn't good.

The second is reason is that everything that was good about this game was made better in the sequels. Music went from MIDIs to...whatever they went to. Much more attention was paid to storyline and character involvement. gameplay and development became more complex and allowed the gamer to have more input on the characters. longer plots and more sidequests. I can get everything from all the sidequests and beat FFVI in about the same amount of time it takes to beat FFVII on a speed-play through and ignoring sidequests.

Maybe it's the best of the first VI, but I would probably still put one or a few of them over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I have to say no. of the first 6 games, VI has a lot of advantages in that the team started the project with alot of knowledge on how to do what they were doing.

But I don't really like its character development. gameplay and storywise. I gotta agree with the poster that this game def makes clone characters.. The only real mechanism the player has to customize/develop his/her characters is espers. despite a few augmenting statistics, their only purpose is to teach spells when certain classes in FF traditionally don't use spells. But in this game, you might as well teach everyone curaga/arise/flare/ultima/agas etc if you're training anyway. The story for each character really falls off in the WoR, as while you're getting back each character, the game really does not take into effect who's in the party, it might as well be anybody, the storytelling and character interaction just wasn't good.

For the Bolded:I think it's like that for -all- games once the villian gets the upper hand. The World of Ruin basically gave you the ability to do what you want with no actual time line involved, which is really when I have the most fun. xD In FFVII I'm pretty sure if there was a timeline, everything would have been dead because I spent a good 30+ HOURS at Golden Saucer being all "Crater? Sephiroth WHo? BAH! OMG MY CHOCOBO'S WINNING! YEAH!!! =D!" At this point I'm pretty sure if I played like FFVII again I'd just stop when I have almost pure freedom. Who cares about killing the villain! I CAN GAMBLE! Same goes with almost every other game I play, in Zelda, the game is one once I can fish! I tend to rebel against story lines and how they are forced though.

For the italic: I don't believe that is true it's right before the final boss, you know it the game knows it, It's pointless to add on random stories when you know the games about to end. I like how in the entire game the game itself hase very few set characters, you get the experience of having a conversation isn't basically force fed to you. There are times when going to Zozo I get Edgar and Sabin, go to the castle, GO BACK to Narshe, get Celes and Locke, for the pure reason of I like Edgar and Sabins thing, and I'm a total Celes/Locke/Rachel fan. It's not like how in some other FFIV games they'll force feed you a chara, and you -know- somethings going to be going on with them, but then it could just be some stupid conversation that has no real relevance to the game. It makes the game (from the people aspect) seem more real, and less scripted due to the fact of alot of things are only triggered by a certain combo of party members.

But then again I loved Chrono Trigger for that reason, so maybe I'm just weird.