Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you think FF6 is the best Final Fantasy? Why or why not?

Well, Final Fantasy V and VI are actually the lasts ones I played, from V, only the Advance version.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    i think the main reason i dont think VI is the best is because i didn't play it when i was 8 years old.

that being said, i found kefka to be pretty lame. as an antagonist, and as a final boss. easier than Vayne, and that's saying alot.
    Odd... I played VI when I was much older than 8 (like 14) and I still feel that Kefka was a wonderful antagonsit on the basis that he was unique. He was likable and funny. Yet at the same time he was cruel and maliscious. He was also a consistant antagonist which is more than can be said about most of the FF villains. But we each have our own point of view.

I personally feel a villain that makes you like him before he bares his fangs is far more compelling than a traditional "he is the villain" type character that most RPG's are plagued with.

i think the main reason i dont think VI is the best is because i didn't play it when i was 8 years old.

that being said, i found kefka to be pretty lame. as an antagonist, and as a final boss. easier than Vayne, and that's saying alot.
    I was 9 when it came out and I can easily say I did -not- get far in gameplay.

Vargas was my horrible road block for a really long time. For me at the age, I could play MK3 or Street fighter better than I could FFVI, I wasn't able to appreciate it till much later in life.

Although I have a cassette tape I recorded on my TALK GIRL of Kefka's theme, like right after Edgars castle and before the fight. 'Cause you know, I've been a crazy Kefka groupie even when I didn't know what loving a person was! But then I was all "I don't like this song. " when the caves theme showed up. I was the best kid ever.

yes cmon it has most things that Final Fantasy 1-6 have and the baddest Boss ever
    :rabite: :luigi: :mario:the day will come....................................(holding the suspense).......

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

Odd... I played VI when I was much older than 8 (like 14) and I still feel that Kefka was a wonderful antagonsit on the basis that he was unique. He was likable and funny. Yet at the same time he was cruel and maliscious. He was also a consistant antagonist which is more than can be said about most of the FF villains. But we each have our own point of view.

I personally feel a villain that makes you like him before he bares his fangs is far more compelling than a traditional "he is the villain" type character that most RPG's are plagued with.

i'm being a little sarcastic. but you're right, we each have our own opinion and i respect those who think VI is the best just like I wish the Zozoans would respect the opinion of those who think VII/VIII is the best.

The first FF game I ever played was FF VII, and I loved it. Dearly. IT was one of the things that really got me back into RPGs. But then, a few months after beating it, I picked up a copy of FF III from a Funcoland (remember those, before Gamestop became the unstoppable corporate giant it's evolved into?). And, to my surprise, I found that I thought FF VI , though older, was superior to FF VII. While FF VII was the delicious, flaky pie crust of the series, FF VI was the sweet, sweet carmalized apple filling. I'm assuming FF IX would be the whip cream or something, while VIII would be the piece you dropped on the floor but still try to eat, but those are different stories altogether.

Really, the thing I loved so much was how easily each character class was basically focused around a different character, allowing you to specific characters suited to a specific job, thus each fulfilling a role. While I do think that they could slightly be clones of each other statwise, I don't feel the fell into the trap of being completely the same ability wise except for Limit Breaks, such as FF VII (though I think the Materia did have some advantages).

I also loved Kefka to bits. I was about 13 at the time of playing these games, so maybe I should have found more interest in Sephiroth, but really, I just ended up liking Kefka more. While Sephiroth was definantely a cool villain, I don't think he was a GOOD villain, if that makes any sense. Kefka, however, was simply a badass. I found him a much better villain, honestly.

Really, my top three personal favorites would have to be

FF VI
    FF IX
    FF VII
    The more consciousness, the more will; the more will, the more self. Someone who has no will at all is no self. But the more will he has, the more self-consciousness he has too.-Soren Kierkegaard
    Every people has its own Tartuffery and calls it its virtues.-What is best in us we do not know-we cannot know.-Friedrich Nietzsche
    Trickery, bravery: who asks, in war?-Virgil, The Aeneid, Book II, Line 517

Which FF Character Are You?

Not my top: V is for me. Still can't quite explain why exactly - everything just works.

However, VI kicks ass (I find most FFs do) I LOVED the opera, Ultros, Zozo (esp. for the music, man that went round my head every day for at least a month), the esper system, the HUGE amount of sidequests, and Kefka was damn funny.

The only real downsides are the sudden accumulation of extra characters towards the end. I found it a bit odd. Also the last boss was very easy (but then all FF final bosses I've found easy except for Ex-death and Zeromus). That's pretty much it though. All in all a damn good game, well worth playing - and I've only mentioned my TOP favourtie things about the game!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

i'm being a little sarcastic. but you're right, we each have our own opinion and i respect those who think VI is the best just like I wish the Zozoans would respect the opinion of those who think VII/VIII is the best.
    It's just not in my nature to let a comment like that slide

Fandom is pretty annoying no matter which way you go about it. My pet peeve usually comes from baseless comparisons of games, which is why I've had issues with the certain fanbases for years...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Fandom is pretty annoying no matter which way you go about it. My pet peeve usually comes from baseless comparisons of games, which is why I've had issues with the certain fanbases for years...
    yeah i know.

As far as fandom, I don't let it change my opinion about a game, even though VI is rediculously overhyped for what it is.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

yeah i know.

As far as fandom, I don't let it change my opinion about a game, even though VI is rediculously overhyped for what it is.
    Yes that is very true, but like VII and X as well, all three games have major good qualities of why all three are popular.

Someday we will all learn to get along, just as soon as we have world peace and hell freezes over...

Blog Entries

To me, this is the best FF.
    The grafics were awesome, the sondtrack was awesome the battle system was awesome, everything was awesome!
    I'd give this game a 10/10.

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

No. This was one of my least favorites. It's not a bad game, but the Esper system requires way too much work for me to seriously enjoy the game.

Of course, this is from an overleveler's perspective: by the time I was done, everybody knew the following spells:

Cure, Cure2, Cure3, Life, Life2, Life3, Haste, Haste2, Fire 1-3, Bolt 1-3, Ice 1-3, Flare, Holy, Ultima, Vanish, Doom, X-zone

And nearly everything else. So I kind of overdid it on magic. I bet the cactuars still have nightmares about me.

Special thanks to dark_lord for the sig!

Quote Originally Posted by darksword12 View Post
    No. This was one of my least favorites. It's not a bad game, but the Esper system requires way too much work for me to seriously enjoy the game.
    So what game -was- your favorite, 'cause to me this was one of the most simple 'complicated' summon system. xD Half the time I'd forget to equip materia, I don't even remember 8 or 9's and 10.. well.. 10 was just bad anyways. xD

Blog Entries

Because you get to throw cards at people and kill them with dice.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by darksword12 View Post
    If Sephiroth had a legitimate reason for his evil, he'd be totally AWESOME, but he doesn't.
    That's why I liked him, cuz he did - He was used as a science experiment and drugged and puppetted around pretty much to have justification for his anger and resentment for the world he was born into.