Thread: Programing a game

Default Programing a game

Hello everyone...I guess from the title you can understand why I made this damn thread. I'm planing on making a game soon and I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROGRAM!

So...any suggestions?
    If I had a nickel everytime someone asked a stupid question I'd be rich and wouldn't waste my time on these stupid forums

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Learn how to (program).

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Puppet View Post
    Learn how to (program).
    Yes, by going to a college or an institute

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I dont want to discourage you but you have to be some kind of genius to learn that stuff. and lots of money to pay college or an institute..

I would love to have some programming skills too..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

I wouldn't plan on making a game if you can't program. I'd hate to be a programmer anyways, though I know a little bit here and there.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    >>> I dont want to discourage you but you have to be some kind of genius to learn that stuff.
    Noooooo you don't. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    >>> I dont want to discourage you but you have to be some kind of genius to learn that stuff.
    Noooooo you don't. >_>
    Seriously

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Video game programming is not something easy to do nor something that can be picked up in a short span of time. First you have to learn the fundamentals of programming, then learn how to work with graphics, sound, physics, AI, as well as either be able to make your own or get someone to come along and help you make your own media (which means knowing how to make and animate 3D models or 2D sprites, plus being able to create good sound effects and compose music).

If you haven't even started with any fundamentals on anything involving programming or media creation, don't expect to begin making a game "soon." It takes a lot more work than a lot of people want to believe it does.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Even if you knew what to do, it would still take a lot of time programming all of it. But yeah, you'll probably need to spend at least a year or two at learning how to program, especially if you're going to do graphical programming.

This is also why game developers hire programmers to work for them. The actual programming is considered the "dirty work" in game industry :p, the big guys just tell them what they want, and then it's their job to make sure the directors and such get what they envision.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    The actual programming is considered the "dirty work" in game industry , the big guys just tell them what they want, and then it's their job to make sure the directors and such get what they envision.
    Damn monkeys!

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Code monkeys indeed :p
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Rom Hacking utilities are your friend.

>_>

What rubah said.

I used to have dreams of creating my own games from scratch, but I know better now. Even if you program everything you need (itself an extremely tall order), there's always the little question of the art and sounds/music...
    Learn basic programming, and if you (still) want to get program games, you might want to try joining an open-source development team.
    "...a challenge you can solve by leveling up isn't really a challenge. It's a test of patience and not really 'gameplay' at all. Take for example some of the maniacal timed jumps you have to master in Super Mario 2, the Japanese version. If you could simply make yourself jump higher and fall slower by pounding on 10,000 goombas, this would completely circumvent all the design put into making the individual boards difficult. "
    -John Ford, from alt.games.final-fantasy