Thread: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Version

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Lancer View Post
    After mastering Pokemon games in 3rd grade I can now say that a 2 year old kid that is stupid can beat Pokemon games. I'm sorry but I've seen five year olds that have mastered these games. It makes me feel sick to consider Pokemon games good they are far too easy and are really only for kids between the age of 6-11. I'm sorry if I'm being harsh but I'm telling the truth. I can completely master one of these games in a day- no sweat.
    As a single player 'just get to the end of the game' thing, yeah it's easy. You can effectively go through the core single player experience with a single well balanced team. If you want to play it like that, that's fine. $30 and 20 hours well spent.

There's a lot more to Pokemon than that.

There's the whole 'Catch 'em all thing' that they've tagged onto it from the beginning. Each new game adds around 100 more. Diamond/Pearl has 493 Pokemon--and then Male/Female variants of 95% of them. Sure, that's not for everyone, but a big draw originally of Pokemon was the Collection aspect of it.

Along with this, there has been Pokemon Breeding since the GBC days. Besides making a copy of a Pokemon you already have, breeding allows for unique traits and learned abilities that the Pokemon would not normally have. There is an incredible amount of depth to creating a specialized Pokemon through breeding that goes far beyond pairing 2 opposite gendered Pokemon.

Then there are the contests. Again, these are not for everyone. In fact I barely even touched them in previous games and regarded it as a throwaway extra. However in D/P, contests are actually a lot more involved. Previously, all you could do was use certain attacks at certain times to win over the judges in a few categories, and that was pretty much it. Now, there are 3 stages to the contest.
    Note, this is from the one contest that I played (and failed at) in this game.
    First, you 'decorate' your Pokemon with various things that come up on the touchscreen: clouds, bows, sparkles, hats, stars, w/e. Perhaps you can purchase/obtain more and varied items through game events. That part is set to a time limit, and you are probably graded on matching stuff and organization.
    Second, you make your Pokemon dance. This goes into a rhythm game similar to DDR, stuff comes on screen and you have to press the appropriate button at the appropriate time with the music. This is where I failed horribly, as my Japanese reading isn't very hot and I didn't quite understand how it worked. But I was surprised and delighted to see something like this in the game.
    Last, is the tried and true 'do attacks to impress the judges' stage.

In previous games, you could use Pokeblocks or something to improve certain stats for these contests. There's probably something like that in this game. I've seen odd machines that are probably the mixers, but haven't tried to use them.

Linked to the Pokeblocks, there are several spots around the game where you can pick/plant/grow berry trees. So if you like gardening, Pokemon has your fix

Then there is the Underground. Every area in the game has a corresponding Underground area that you can access as long as you are standing on the ground. This means, as big as the land on top is, there's about as much space underground for you to tinker with. This is where you can excavate stuff (including Pokemon fossils and the Evolution stones) through a pretty nifty minigame, set up your secret base, and likely do some other stuff.

These are all things I encountered with my 2 weeks of playing the game. With the huge language barrier it presented and my short time with it, there's likely a few things I have not seen and don't know about.

All of that is just the stuff for *single player*, not even touching multplayer/online once. If you do step into multiplayer (particularly online), the value expands infinitely.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    set up your secret base
    Could you elaborate on this evil genius-ness please?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

The Secret Base was introduced in the 2nd generation of Pokemon games (Gold/Silver). In those games, you pick a suitable place to have a sort of cave or treehouse 'hideout'. It had a 'Laptop' with the same functions as a PC, and there were several items you could use to decorate and customize the space. (My favourites were these floor tiles that play a musical note on a scale when you step on it.) Depending on where you chose for your base, it could be several different shapes. When you linked up with a friend, your secret base gets transferred into their game as well. If they find your secret base, they see all the decorations you did as well as battle you with whatever Pokemon you had at the time of the transfer.

I don't know all the details of D/P's bases, since I haven't done it myself (couldn't figure it out). I imagine it would have at least the same features. This time, instead of hunting around for special trees or mountain holes, you just go into the Underground and can make it there somehow. I mentioned Capture the Flag before--this is where it happens. You and another player try to find each other's secret base first and bring it back to your own. You can set traps and such all throughout the Underground to prevent their progress. Apparently when you win, you get some kind of upgrade for your base.

Lots o' stuff in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erdrick Holmes View Post
    I heard this game will use the mic to talk to people you're playing with online. I can see people complaining about this.
    I thought we agreed you wouldn't go around rumor-mongering?
    Dude, just go look up info on it, I think it says stuff about online play letting you talk to your opponent via the mic.

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

Trix made me want it even more

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psyniac_123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by No.78 View Post
    I have to preorder Pearl now from america or wait till september for UK release... It's a predicament.
    A valuable source, (SPOILER)Wikipedia tells me we in the UK will be waiting until but the 1st of June for it, just one month after America.
    Dear God, it's a miracle.
    I hope wikipedia is right O_O
    jkhkjg

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    I heard this game will use the mic to talk to people you're playing with online. I can see people complaining about this.
    I thought we agreed you wouldn't go around rumor-mongering?
    Dude, just go look up info on it, I think it says stuff about online play letting you talk to your opponent via the mic.
    It was confirmed a long time ago, as well as being a featured article in an issue of Nintendo Power some issues back.

They likened it to cellphones, or something of the sort.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think that when you reserve it you get a free stylus, but its kinda lame, so I won't be using it.

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

I already have like..6 stylus', so If I miss out on getting one I won't be too bothered x3

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll probably be getting Pearl. I haven't really played a Pokemon game since the second generation...

FFXIV Character

I wonder if EoFF will have it's own Pokemon trading section. From what I understand, they disabled friend codes for these games, so you can openly trade with anyone, and after you trade, you get to see where the new pokemon owner LIVES(REAL LIFE), which is sort of weird, to be honest, but it only shows which country you're from, not anywhere closer.

I don't know which one I'd get. I like the Diamond Version specifics better but I find Palkia from Pearl way cooler than Dialga.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I think I'm getting Pearl and my friend is getting Diamond. He recently got Leaf Green and I got Fire Red, so it worked out nicely. Pokemon is fun. Although I curse Snorlax with every breath I take.
    I caught both of them. Did you use the itemfinder under the ground where they were located? You'll get some leftovers if you didn't.
    I also caught both of them. I caught the Route 16 Snorlax after I defeated the Elite 4 though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Game's out. Who's got it? I got Pearl, and I've spoken to two other members on IM already who have the games.

Special Things I've Done With Pokemon:

-Tested it with the Japanese Diamond version I got while I was out there. They work and talk just perfectly! Just...different languages.

-Transferred Manaphy from Pokemon Ranger.

-Got all 3 starters by trading with a friend's fresh copy.

Anyone else have the game yet?

FFXIV Character

I do.

DO NOT SPEAK OF THIS GAME IT HAS TURNED MY FRIENDS INTO MARCOS!(not a good thing hes a short annoying kid and he only talks about pokemon you could say cheese and hed relate it to pokemon I SWEAR!)