Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: windows vista

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Default windows vista

I'm on a new system running Windows Vista and I'm a bit lost.

Every time I open Windows Live Messenger it gives me an error message and closes the program. Why is this happening?

Also, is there any sort of security optimization or settings I should set on a new Vista install?

is it an error about needing to install flash in order to run properly? I just click cancel and Windows Live Messenger runs perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    I'm on a new system running Windows Vista and I'm a bit lost.

Every time I open Windows Live Messenger it gives me an error message and closes the program. Why is this happening?

Also, is there any sort of security optimization or settings I should set on a new Vista install?
    Could you maybe quote the error messege? Can't do much without it.

I bet I know. Go to messenger's folder in Program Files and right click the .exe and select "Run as Administrator". Bet it works. If so we'll go from there. If not, then I can't help and I'll bow out

Yeah, what's the error message?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Patched it and it's fixed.

Why can't I save files to Program Files even though I am an administrator?

Patched it and it's fixed.

Why can't I save files to Program Files even though I am an administrator?
    Could be some anti-stupid-user protection. Vista loves that sort of thing. Check the properties.

Should I bother getting Vista Home Premium, or should I just stick with Home Basic?

Should I bother getting Vista Home Premium, or should I just stick with Home Basic?
    I'd stick with the one you've got. It's just an OS.

And if you're concerned about Premium being any better in this regard, I doubt it.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

If you want Aero, then get Premium. Home basic will look like XP or won't have the special compositing effects in the other versions of Vista since it doesn't have Aero.

If you really want a pretty desktop, install <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ">Linux, Beryl and Emerald</a>.

Out of pure curiousity, does Vista Premium or Ultimate have any useful features that Basic lacks? Fancy 3d desktops excluded.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Microsoft periodically release updates under the category of "Extras" which potentially will be made available only to specific versions of Vista.

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx">Here</a>'s the official comparison chart; I personally haven't used Home Basic, only Ultimate, so I don't know about the differences there actually are. Knowing Microsoft, the cheaper the version, the more unreasonable the limitations get.

Well Aero surely looks pretty, but I'm not buying a new OS just because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    If you really want a pretty desktop, install <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ">Linux, Beryl and Emerald</a>.
    It does certainly have a lot of flashy things, but I think it's a bit much. I do like the effect you get when closing a window though, that's probably the best bit.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    It does certainly have a lot of flashy things, but I think it's a bit much. I do like the effect you get when closing a window though, that's probably the best bit.
    A lot of it is just for show, but many of the desktop effects are very functional. IF you ever use Linux, I definitely recommend trying it out. The problem is that it's not stable enough to run as a full time desktop environment.