Thread: Gambits: Late to End Game

Default Gambits: Late to End Game

So, I'm about to start to delve into the Subterra. What can you guys suggest for a set of gambits? I basically want everyone to be heavy-hitters with physical attacks (none of that waiting around for high level magics to go off). I've got:

Vaan: Tank
    Death Sword (can't think of the name)
    Demon Shield, Magepower Shishack, Maximillian

Balthier: Mystic Warrior
    Masamune
    Magepower Shishack, One of the final mystic armors

Fran: Fast Warrior
    Zwill Crossblade
    Demon Shield, Magepower Shishack, One of the final Light Armors (the one that actually gives you a speed bonus)

I kinda want Vaan to do nothing but hit things. Balthier does some buffing and healing. Fran does most the buffing and healing. What can you all suggest for a good set-up?

On another note, is the final Dagger worth the trouble of getting? What about the other "Final Weapons"?

Default Beware the Frogs!

Sounds good to me! Just don't let yourself be surrounded by giant frogs! I went to the Subterra and was overwhelmed by so many frogs, I would not make it back to the elevator!!! EEK! I wouldn't know about the Danjuro. That's the final dagger, right? I think it's in the Great Crystal. I would get it, but I accidentally overwrote my game. I'm back to going up Mt. Bur-Omisace again. *Sigh* So anyway, good luck and stock up on those black orbs! Collecting them takes a while. I'm assuming your after the (SPOILER)Phoenix? I never got the chance to meet it. >_<

.:A glitch in time saves few:.

Currently I'm at the subterra aswell. My ideal setup so far is;

1 white/time mage (Ashe/Penelo)
    2 greatsword berserkers (Vaan and Basch, or Fran with masamune+genji gloves)

Gambits for berserkers (although they only work if berserk wears off);

Ally: hp-critical = x-potion
    Ally: any = phoenix down
    Ally: any = esuna
    Foe: Party leaders target = attack
    Foe: Nearest visible = attack
    Self = haste
    Self: haste-status = berserk

For the mage;

Ally: hp-critical = curaja
    Ally: any = arise
    Ally: HP < 60% = cura
    Ally: any = esuna
    Ally: berserk-status = haste
    Ally: slow-status = haste (could be replaced by ally: any = haste I guess)
    Foe: Party leaders target = attack
    Foe: Nearest visible = attack
    Self = haste
    Self = protectga

That's pretty much it. It's not the best setup, but it works for me. Also very important, if the mage runs out of mana, use syphon on your own partymembers to restore it. And don't forget to run like crazy if you happen to encounter a magic pot.

I have but one thing to say about the frogs. Oil + Firega = Yeah a roast dinner, cheers.

Magic can come into its own in the Subterra finally... multihit spells really can help there vs hack and slash.

Well I'm a hack n' slash sort of guy, but I don't remember my setup, and I make everyone's Gambits equal. Meaning they do exactly the same thing, except Ashe casts Protectga on everyone.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Magic takes too long. Set up your gambits to use items instead as this happens instantly with close to no delay. Also Firaga on Oiled foes works wonders.

Ally KO = Arise
    Foe Oil = Firaga
    Ally Disease = Vaccine
    Ally poison = Antidote
    Ally confuse = Smelling salts
    Ally Sleep = Alarm clock
    Ally Blind = Eye drops
    Ally Stop = Chronos Tear
    Ally Silence = Echo Herbs
    Ally stone/petrify = Gold Needle
    (any foe attack gambits after the above)

I don't usually put Ally Sap = Esuna/esunaga on. I do this manually. Esunaga takes too much time.

I also manually cast oil on the foes so that I can maximize the number of foes that will be oiled. Once that's done, automatic roast!

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

My Gambits are different for each of my 2 teams. Team A uses potions and Magick, team B uses potions and Techniques.

On each team I have one "healer" that has all the status Gambits:
    Ally: Status= confused / Smelling salts
    Ally: Status= poison / Antidote
    yadda, yadda, yadda

That leaves the guy (or gal) with only 3 free gambits, one I take for the KO / Phoenix Down and the 2 remaining are attack gambits
    Foe: Char MP > 30% / Scathe
    Foe: Any / Attack

The other 2 characters in my party have a lot more free gambit slots, which I use half for buffs and healing and half for attack.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Hey, Renmiri, do you use both of your teams, or just mainly focus on one, because I just keep all my guys at the same level and vary it out. What do you do?

Well what level are you exactly on right now?

Thanks Polaris for the Awesome Avy and Sig!
    Beaten FF I,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VII CC,VII DC, VIII,IX,X,XII,XIII Dissidia Currently on I&X-2

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    Hey, Renmiri, do you use both of your teams, or just mainly focus on one, because I just keep all my guys at the same level and vary it out. What do you do?
    Same level both. I have the "Magick" team on usually, leaving the Tech guys with full MP for quickenings and summon if needed

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Cloud View Post
    Well what level are you exactly on right now?
    All characters level:

67-Vaan
    59-Fran
    59-Penelo
    59-Basch
    59-Ashe
    59-Balthier

All have custom Gambits (Strictly attack, heal from status ailments, heal from damage, usual buffs like: Bubble, Haste, Bravery and charge at 10% MP. In certain areas or Boss battles, then obviously I change it around, and form a tactic. I only really use Curaga as healing magic, although I'm fully capable of now using Curaja. Sometimes, if I have a Bow and Arrow person in my team, and a Gunner, then I just leave them to heal and then attack. They heal with Curaja after 40% HP is lost).

On a side note, do you purchase Deathbringer after the whole Pharos event? Do you get from the port in Balfeheim?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

yes at balfonheim

Deathbringer 16000 gil

That's so cheap, I've noticed once you know how to fight, getting Gil comes second nature. The amount of Gil which you receive from hunts are not all that, except for a couple of the last ones, if I'm correct.