After having watched almost every episode of the cartoon on YouTube, I just had to dig up my copy of Earthworm Jim (well alright, I downloaded the ROMs because I don't have the games anymore) and got back to playing them.

I always thought it was a real shame that the Earthworm Jim franchise had to just die. It was one of the best games of its time, in terms of gameplay and just how much effort when into the games in general; cutscenes (sparse as they were) didn't just re-use in game sprites, but would actually have some work put into them. All the animations were fluid, even the stuff in the background looked great, and although the first one was sodomisingly hard (I never got past "Tube Race" until I used savestates on an emulator) they were still impressive titles that really showed what the 16-bit consoles could do.

I've never played Earthworm Jim 3D so I won't go into that.

Also, there was that cartoon. Unlike other cartoons that tried to hard to implement as many elements of the actual games as possible and ended up being incredibly silly as a result *glares angrily at every Mario cartoon*, Earthworm Jim only used the characters, and then used a very absurd sense of humour that would attract older viewers too. And who could forget the classic recurring line "I must not fear, fear is the mind killer, fear is the little death that brings total oblivion"?

So, anyone else here care to share their thoughts?