Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP3 Player

Default MP3 Player

Hi guys, I didn't know if this subject belongs in the Lounge or not. If it doesn't, I apologize to the mods.
    I'm getting an MP3 player or Ipod this weekend. I need one that will not give me a hard time transfering songs from whichever player I have to a new computer.
    I have heard that you cannot do that with an Ipod. That's kinda scary if your hard drive crashes or you get a new comp.
    The two alternatives I have been considering are the ZUNE and the Sansa by Sandisk. Any suggestions?
    Thanks everyone!

You can transfer your songs from your ipod to your computer. I had to do this a couple months ago when my computer crashed. Soooo it is possible and it's pretty easy to do. Although I don't remember the exact steps for it. =/

Shouldnt this go in Help?
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

I don't understand why people think iPods are "not mp3 players". I didn't buy my iPod to be trendy or cool, or even to watch movies (even though I have FMA episodes on it) I got it for the mass music lovings.

Also, itunes has a setting that even if your computer has no songs it won't delete them from your iPod. I had accidently deleted a folder with almost 500 songs in it, and I procrastinated against plugging my iPod back in because I was afraid to loose them all, but after downloading songs I wanted to carry around with me, I plugged it in and realized that even though they arn't on my computer anymore, they're still on my iPod.

Oh but yeah, rambling. I'm pretty sure the transfer from iPod to computer will be easy, I've never done it, but I know you can do it, they're just going to all be in the iPod format.

iPods interface through iTunes is needlessly more complex than it should be. Computer literate people may not mind having to use a program for transfer purposes but it seems like a potentially buggy needless middleman. Plus from what I'm hearing there'll probably be things set up in the near future that iTunes can impliment to see if you have your MP3s lisenced or registered or whatever. i.e. you paid for them online, or ripped them from an actual CD and not just downloaded somewhere.

I would -highly- suggest getting some off brand MP3 player. Most hook up via standard USB (unlike iPod). And once your computer recognizes it, it works like a standard external storage device / hard drive. Meaning you just go to My Computer and there it is. You copy whatever you want on to it. Like moving files in a normal standard fashion. No extra program necissary. You can't do this with an iPod for some reason. I've yet to dink around with my friend's iPod much as they're just too much of a headache, but they seem to store songs as hidden system files or some crap. You can't just copy/paste your media. It has to be through iTunes. Which I don't trust. Because then they can do any legal crap they want with iTunes and you're forced to comply or give up. AND the battery issue. Which Apple may have fixed, I don't know. But last I heard iPods still have an internal battery which is only good for like 500 charges, then it craps out. And you have to send it in and get it repaired/replaced, or buy a battery off eBay or something and look up tutorials online for a needlessly complex battery replacement. Which my friend recently had to do. Or rather, I had to do for him.

Which leads me to really hate iPod as a media device. Its just pretty... nothing more

Mine was a Zen from Creative. Simple copy/paste. Easy pleasy. Screw iTunes :]

Reno's my man! <3 Fire_Emblem776's Avatar

I have a sansa mp3 player. And i use real player to transfer music to it, its a hell of a lot easier then I-Tunes.

I really appreciate the input. Thanks everyone! I placed this thread in music well, because it deals with Mp3 players.

Snip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I would -highly- suggest getting some off brand MP3 player. Most hook up via standard USB (unlike iPod).
    ? I have an iPod Video (transfer mp3s to and from it with no problem!), and I plug in using a standard USB... so huh?
    Last edited by Cipher; 04-17-2007 at 11:13 PM.

| Beati Pauperes Spiritu; Quoniam Ipsorum est Regnum Caelorum |

It plugs into the computer with standard USB. The jack in the iPod itself is not standard. Regular MP3 players can use a generic USB cord like a digital camera and such. And how do you transfer? Drag and drop through windows, or through a program?

I would get a Creative Zen. Avoid Sansa like the plague. All 3 Sansa players I bought died within 2 weeks.
    "Reality is that which,
    when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away".
    Philip K. Dick

It plugs into the computer with standard USB. The jack in the iPod itself is not standard. Regular MP3 players can use a generic USB cord like a digital camera and such.
    Oooh, okay. Had a blonde moment, I suppose.

And how do you transfer? Drag and drop through windows, or through a program?
    I drag and drop. Then again, I'm also a College IT Student, so it might have seemed easy to ME. Just gotta tell your computer to show hidden files and folders and look in the iPod Control folder. Not to mention that they're still mp3 format, so I never have to use my converters.

To OP: If you want to go something other than iPod, my second and third suggestion would be Zen and Zune, respectively. Very high quality mp3 players, worth every penny you pay for either (and then some).

| Beati Pauperes Spiritu; Quoniam Ipsorum est Regnum Caelorum |

my cell phone holds 128 mb and works as an mp3 player which suits me just fine.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by starseeker View Post
    I would get a Creative Zen. Avoid Sansa like the plague. All 3 Sansa players I bought died within 2 weeks.
    Creative Zen are the best in the market IMO. They are easy to use, effective, and transfer music to & from your media player (or whatever other device you use) with ease. Just slap in the supplied USB and off with you.

Str8 Pimpin'

Get a no-name player. They work just a fine and have no stupid programs written for them. They might not look terribly good optically, but most of them have Sony components inside anyway. Just make sure they don't have any parts that can break off easily. I advice against joysticks in MP3s.

I've gotten some really good advice from you guys. I really appreciate it a lot! Thanks!