Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need anything particular to play this game?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

As I said earlier, using the PS2 is not an option if you are European, like Peter_20 is.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinenshire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinenshire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    People have reported that they've gotten FFXI to run on PS3. But there's no current support for it.

PC's better for MMO's anyways, imo. =\
    Meh, I think PC is better for pretty much everything, providing you can upgrade the hardware often enough to run games at top notch quality. Consoles are cheaper in the sense that all games are writen specifically for the hardware provided, thus loosing less firepower on multicompatibility.
    The only things I'd play on PC are MMO's, Adventure (Myst series, Dreamfall, Grim Fandango, etc) RTS and FPS. Everything else I'd rather have on a console, simply because offline RPG's, action and platforming games are more comfortable playing on the couch / in-bed.
    That's what we love about laptops.^^
    Laptops aren't that powerful, yet. The desktop replacements have so many hardware issues and would literally burn the sheets of your bed if you had it in your lap. =P

But yeah, there's not many PS2 RPG's and stuff for the PC, emulation doesn't really work for those. But emulation for SNES I can understand. =D

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

PS1 emulation works just fine though. For PS2, they're getting there. Many games will run, but have minor graphical glitches. You need a ridiculously powerful PC though, if you want more than 5 fps.

I have a question, I have a toshiba laptop with windows xp on it, and about 7.66 GB on it. Will FFXI run on it or is there any hardware or software i need or could use to make the game run smoother?

The more important specs are: RAM, graphics card, sound card, and processor. Memory isn't very important.
    Sigless

Um, the game is like 8GB or so, so it won't even fit on your laptop.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I'm not really concerned about the space, I can get around that, what I'm mostly wondering about is things like: do i need windows vista for the game, is there any additional software or patches i can get that make it run smoother like directX or something like that.
    Last edited by Kaowaul; 04-30-2007 at 03:25 AM. Reason: spelling error

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It fits on lap tops >.>
    Too big.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Only if you have enough spare space, meaning 7-8 GB. And why would you need vista for a 4-year old game?

Quote Originally Posted by eternalshiva View Post
    It fits on lap tops >.>
    Uh, what? Not every laptop is the same. >.>;

He said his only has 7.66GB on it, which is not enough for FFXI. I'd also suggest around 512MB+ RAM and a 128MB+ video card. You could try it with a 64MB video card but you'd be turning down a lot of options in the game.

No, you don't *need* Vista for this game. You won't need Vista until DirectX10 games start coming out, which will probably be next year. And if your Windows is legit, you can easily download DirectX9.0c from Microsoft's website.

Edit: Let's say that you were able to fit FFXI on your hard drive, you wouldn't have much space left, if any at all. And that is not a good thing.

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I never said -his laptop- I said laptops! :P <3
    Too big.

I'm not worried about the space on my laptop
    I really think you sould have the option of making male mithra in FFXI.

I'm asking questions because i want to get FF11, since i don't have it, or know anybody who has it. I also want to know where I can or should buy the game.
    I really think you sould have the option of making male mithra in FFXI.

yea PC or if you have xbox live then go 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaowaul View Post
    I'm asking questions because i want to get FF11, since i don't have it, or know anybody who has it. I also want to know where I can or should buy the game.
    We've answered your questions, so what's the problem?