Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The dumbest moments in FF8

The stupidest, most 'wtf' part to me? When Squall, Zell, and Selphie are going to Timber in an underwater train, but for some odd reason sunlight is shining through the windows.

HOWL MOCKERY AT THE CROSS

lol. i would have to say the dumbest part is the fact that they all grew up together and didnt know it cuz of the gfs. i was like "... *rolls eyes* whatever..."
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTifa View Post
    lol. i would have to say the dumbest part is the fact that they all grew up together and didnt know it cuz of the gfs. i was like "... *rolls eyes* whatever..."
    I wonder, if you try going through the entire game without GF's and you reach that part, then what the hell can they say?
    HOWL MOCKERY AT THE CROSS

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

xD I think we're meant to assume that they used GFs throughout their SeeD training, even before the events shown in the game. After all, Squall starts the game with his own GFs, and we're told that SeeD get their strength from the GFs. Aside from the them, Selphie used the GF she found as a child, and Irvine hasn't used them enough to have memory issues.

I agree that it's a really contrived series of events, but it basically works out.

Blog Entries

After reading that recap site, I'll have to add the obligatory "anything featuring Laguna" and "Selphie's obsession with checking her shoes for dog poo" to the list

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    1. The fact that people still insist on the R-U theory even though there's a lot of evidence against it, and it was clearly created by Rinoa haters.
    2. The fact that people dismiss the orphanage scene as "Deus Ex Machina"(sp?) purley because they didn't notice a ton of subtle clues leading up to it.
    3. The fact that people can't understand why Squall "suddenly fell for Rinoa" when there is NO SET TIME FOR THE GAME and that there where hints that he was devolping feelings for her as ealry as the parade.
    4. The fact that people dismiss the Gunblade becuase they can't understand the point.
    5. The fact that haters of this game practically force everyone to hate it - no other game has it that bad.
    1. RU theory is as valid as any other theory, and shouldn't be discredited just because you don't agree with it.

2. Okay. Its not Deus Ex Machina. It's hinted at earlier in the game. It's still a stupid plot device imo

3. ...don't have an opinion on this one

4. Okay, here we go. Humor me. explain what the Gunblade is all about. Explain HOW it's a good idea, and how it would be advantageous in combat. I spar, and I know that using a sword with a handle at the angle of the Gunblade would result in (best case-scenario) VERY bad control ()ie awkwardness) which would lead to less force on blows, and (worst case scenario, but much more likely) the handle (or your wrist) snapping like a twig. Ever wonder why swords have their blades at a 180 degree angle to the handle? And what exactly is the trigger and barrel for? If you pulled the trigger, the barrel would explode since there's nowhere for the bullet to go, causing major damage to you and anyone who happens to be in extremely close proximity. And just so you can't say "A gunblade doesn't have to fire bullets, it causes vibrations, blah blah blah yap yap," a reading from the book of Websters.

<dl><dt class="hwrd">Main Entry:</dt><dt class="pron">Pronunciation:</dt><dd class="pron"> \ˈgən\ </dd><dt class="func">Function:</dt><dd class="func">noun </dd><dt class="ety">Etymology:</dt><dd class="ety">Middle English gonne, gunne</dd><dt class="date">Date:</dt><dd class="date">14th century</dd></dl>1 a: a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory b: a portable firearm (as a rifle or handgun) c: a device that throws a projectile

5. idk about others but I don't mind the plot. It's the awful gameplay that gets me. (Also, the fact that my FFVIII disc one is FUBAR, and nobody else has it)

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Despite the etymology of the word 'gun', the fact remains that FFVIII's gunblades work the way its described in the canonical 'Ultimania' guidebook: they use blank rounds, and the energy surges through the blade adding extra force/high-frequency vibration to the blow.
    Yep, it's a silly concept, and I'd agree that the handle shape and angle would make some gunblades very difficult to use properly - Seifer's, for instance, where it's at nearly a right-angle to the blade.

As silly as it would be in our world, we need to bear in mind that FFVIII takes place in a world where magic powers can deflect bullets, and a teenager with armoured gloves can defeat an army tank by punching it

Alright, nut in the much more realistic world of FFVIII is it too much to ask for that the "realism" isn't half-assed? They could have made the gun blade be a gun with a small blade under the handle for extreme last-minute defenses. Just a thought, I could prolly come up w/ something better.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by arcanedude34 View Post
    Alright, nut in the much more realistic world of FFVIII is it too much to ask for that the "realism" isn't half-assed? They could have made the gun blade be a gun with a small blade under the handle for extreme last-minute defenses. Just a thought, I could prolly come up w/ something better.
    Yep, there are indeed plenty of things they could've done - until the Ultimania guide cleared things up, I was adamant that the bullet was fired from the barrel-less chamber, directly parallel to the blade. It explained why there's no visible barrel, and how the gun aspect could possibly be useful. Heavy sword blow + high-caliber bullet = twice the hurt. It also explained why the bullets in Squall's gunblade case, shown during the black-and-white montage at the start, seem to have tips rather than being blank. Pity that didn't turn out to be the case though.

I think that disliking this game because gunblades are improbable and impractical is a bit silly. It isn't reality. Throughout VIII there was this dynamic between reality and fantasy, and I quite liked it. Although I doubt anyone here would be that shallow.

Don't get me started on R=U. All I will say is that just because something is possible, does not mean that you can accept that it has any merit. There are so many flaws in the theory, it is a joke.

VIII definitely does have some dumb and implausible moments, but so do most stories. Go read Lolita or Madame Bovary or any great piece of fiction and there will be some seriously suspect circumstances. My favourite one in VIII is that Garden floats towards Fisherman's Horizon.
    a) What are the odds of it floating towards that exact location &
    b) What are the odds that the place it lands will be full of ex-Esthar scientists?

Blog Entries

The gunblade was there so that the game designers could test out the nifty new vibrating controllers (minds out of the gutter please), give you something to do other than attack and draw, and yet still have everyone's favourite FF leader style of weapon, a sword.

Realism doesn't come into it

I miss it. The steel sky. Aerisfanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTifa View Post
    You know what else is huge coinsidence? Is that Edea took care of them
    Forever obsessed with the one and only flower girl <3

yea seriously. now thats just a plot twist thats so cliche and thrown together. so .... idk.... kinda like replacement princesses. omg. i just beat the original tactics yesterday and when i found out that ovelia was a replacement i just went "...*facepalm* omg garnet!!!" ff series is just repeats of other ff's and they seem to be getting lamer as they go on, starting at 8. dont get me wrong, i loved the game, and it will always hold a special place in my heart as my first final fantasy, but tactics/7 = win/last good ones.
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    1. The fact that people still insist on the R-U theory even though there's a lot of evidence against it, and it was clearly created by Rinoa haters.
    2. The fact that people dismiss the orphanage scene as "Deus Ex Machina"(sp?) purley because they didn't notice a ton of subtle clues leading up to it.
    3. The fact that people can't understand why Squall "suddenly fell for Rinoa" when there is NO SET TIME FOR THE GAME and that there where hints that he was devolping feelings for her as ealry as the parade.
    4. The fact that people dismiss the Gunblade becuase they can't understand the point.
    5. The fact that haters of this game practically force everyone to hate it - no other game has it that bad.
    6. The fact that people don't understand that Ultimecia was introduced in the first disc of the game(using Edea's body as a host/shell to hide her true identity), simply because they didn't pay attention to the story.
    Or that some people who already know that, still bash her for... No known reason.

Quote Originally Posted by f f freak View Post
    Again you don't understand. They wish Ultimecia had never been in the game. They wish Edea was the Edea from discs 1 and 2 throughout the whole game. It was a crap plot twist. This is why people wish Ultimecia had never been in the game.
    And those same people loved the plot-twist of Sephiroth(from the first half of FFVII) not being the real Sephiroth, but Jenova. Those people don't wish that Sephiroth had never been in the game, and replaced by Jenova.
    Funny how things are, uh? :rolleyes2
    Last edited by The Crystal; 08-24-2008 at 12:51 AM.

The dumbest moments in FF8 (the moments of the player after the game)...When people after playing the game come to this thread to tell the dumbest moments in the game. You're all wasting your life away trying to come up with the most useless answers to the most useless questions. If that isn't dumb then me having to explain this to you is. Live a little people. Live!

I am a Jester. Jest people Jest.