Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What.... ... ! -WHAT?!- *grabs paperbag to breathe in*

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

within temptation (oh ya, loads dont have a clue)
    er...there was one a few days ago, err...DEEP PURPLE
    i almost stopped breathing but i just had ta reind them of smoke on the water and theeeeeeeeeen they knew....oh they knew..

I am not a man

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I try not to let it bother me. The people now who listen to popular music will get pissed at future generations for not knowing what they listened to. I mean, with out research, we don't exactly know what was truly popular back in the 30's, 40's, and 50's (yeah, yeah...Elvis) or something. Not a big deal to me.

Instead of getting pissed when someone doesn't know of a band I like, I take a little time to tell them about the band and ask them what type of music they like so I can tell if they would like it or not. If I think they would seem to like whatever band is in question, I would suggest they give it a shot or I would put it on if the option was availiable.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

"Tu..pac? what's that? Is there a Three-pack, and a four? Is it an album, or something?"

I loled. Ive never listened to Tupac myself, but STILL xD
    She also had no idea what G unit was, and thought 50 cent was a band.

Most of my music most of you will never have heard of. At school, I'll wear a hoodie with 'PMMP' on it, its a popular Finnish band and I got the jacket imported. Everyone calls me a "Pimp" and not one person in my school know who they are. It makes me feel quite special ;]
    Nearly all of my music has that response, people will scroll through my Ipod and then be like "..what"

Quote Originally Posted by Poetically Pathetic View Post
    I'm used to comments like that. It still shocks me when people say 'Who is From First to Last?' or 'Who is Reggie And the Full Effect?', but it's not as surprising since a lot of music I listen to is more not-mainstreamish. I would be stunned if someone hadn't heard of Depeche Mode (who I haven't really listened to, honestly, so I don't know if I like them or not), or NiN. Seriously, who hasn't heard of those two bands?!
    and oh cause' From First to Last arnt Mainstream at all, no? haha.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Pft, I don't get surprised at all when Average Joe hasn't heard of my non-mainstream band. Low expectations makes for more positive surprises.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Worst experience with this was when I was wearing a Pink Floyd shirt to school with the Dark Side of the Moon logo in the front. This kid in my history class of coursed asked, "Pink Floyd?? Whose that???" Another time I was listening to Led Zeppelin rather loud and someone heard it and didn't know who they were either. Needless to say I cried myself to sleep those nights.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post
    "Tu..pac? what's that? Is there a Three-pack, and a four? Is it an album, or something?"

I loled. Ive never listened to Tupac myself, but STILL xD
    She also had no idea what G unit was, and thought 50 cent was a band.

Most of my music most of you will never have heard of. At school, I'll wear a hoodie with 'PMMP' on it, its a popular Finnish band and I got the jacket imported. Everyone calls me a "Pimp" and not one person in my school know who they are. It makes me feel quite special ;]
    Nearly all of my music has that response, people will scroll through my Ipod and then be like "..what"

Quote Originally Posted by Poetically Pathetic View Post
    I'm used to comments like that. It still shocks me when people say 'Who is From First to Last?' or 'Who is Reggie And the Full Effect?', but it's not as surprising since a lot of music I listen to is more not-mainstreamish. I would be stunned if someone hadn't heard of Depeche Mode (who I haven't really listened to, honestly, so I don't know if I like them or not), or NiN. Seriously, who hasn't heard of those two bands?!
    and oh cause' From First to Last arnt Mainstream at all, no? haha.

Well, they weren't a year ago. You know, when they were good.

wait...they haven't heard of Depeche Mode? deprived. they (and you guys, too) should download Personal Jesus. not the one by Marilyn Manson, it gets stupid after too many plays. the one by Lollipop Lust Kill is okay. but download. my dance class is bringing back a dance to the original DM version, so i'm super pumped up for it! it's so cool!!

oh, and nobody i know has heard of Assemblage 23, In Strict Confidence, or Decoded Feedback. granted, they are techno artists, but the songs are cool. maybe they're popular overseas and i'm not aware of it...
    Last edited by dance of the infinity; 04-21-2007 at 03:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac
    on a more serious note to anwser your questions...are you a virgin?
    if thats so I think what you need is some afternoon delight...

I don't really know why you'd be shocked if someone hasn't heard a lot of the non-mainstream music that you listen to. There's so many artists and bands along with different genres; all in different countries.

I would never really act shocked or surprised if someone hasn't heard bands and artists that I like, such as Jeff Buckley, Augie March, The Shins, Mick Hart, John Butler Trio, (old) Alex Lloyd for some examples. Granted one of those is pretty much my Elvis (Jeff Buckley); that wouldn't mean that other people have to have known about him or I'd "break a chair over their head" or whatever you crazy forum goers do.

It really depends what music people are into. If they are into one or two types of music, then chances are they won't know much about a totally different genre. But things like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, David Bowie, Elvis and other extremely famous world-wide bands and artist, are something that everyone should know about.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Is is so hard to believe that people can not hear of bands they're not really interested in? Chuck Berry had more of an influence on rock 'n roll than any other artist, and I bet you I'd be lucky if I could get 50% of the population under 30 to name 2 of his songs.

I don't see why artists like the Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, etc. have such a holier than thou air to them. My dad doesn't know any Beatles songs other than "Let it Be" because he didn't listen to rock back then or now. Yet if you asked him what his favorite James Brown or Little Richard songs are he could list at least 15 for each. I swear some classic rock fans are getting worse than hipsters.
    What I've been listening to: