View Poll Results: Which pronounciation is correct?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • ['mæs(ø)mju:n]

1 5.00%
  • [,mʌsʌ'mu:ne]

19 95.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you pronounce "Masamune"?

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by crazybayman
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker
    Now a real question is Murasame. (Mur-uh-Sahm-ay)

And Crazybayman, when using words from other cultures, the rules of the English Language don't fully apply, as the word is not English. So even in English, it is still pronounced with the ay at the end.
    That's entirely up to the speaker how they chose to pronounce it.

If you want to pronounce it in Japanese (or whatever the case may be), then go ahead and try. There's a good chance its probably not entirely correct anyways, if it isn't your native language. What I mean by that is if you said it to a Japanese person, they may not understand you, as your natural vernacular will have you make the subtle pronouciations in english, regardless if you put that "ay" at the end, or not.

Therefore, I pronounce it in English. If I were bilingual in the language that the word is, then I'd probably pronounce it in said language. It comes down to how you read it.

Therefore massa-myoon, or mah-sah-myoon. And I couldn't give a rats a$$ about if there's an "ay" or "eh" or whatever at the end in another language.

And murasame to me is myur-a-same.
    I believe NeoCracker still has a point. You wouldn't mispronounce Spanish or French loanwords that are in English, would you (for an example)?

And yes, Murasame is 'Moo-rah-sah-may'.

Yes, I agree with Zeromus. Masamune and Murasame are actually real words that have correct pronunciations so what some of you are saying is incorrect. However, pronounce it however you want, because no one really cares.

For words like Quistis and Tidus, the pronunciation can and will differ because there isn't a clear way to say these names. Well, Tidus is actually officially pronounced Tee-dus, but w/e.
    The things I could not do yesterday, I shall not fear to attempt today, for I shall never give up on tomorrow. - Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs Crossfire)

I say "ma-sa-myune".

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

If Americans call "Alluminium" "Ill-lum-in-ham" then I can bloody well call Murasame "Moo-Ra-Same".

Now all Americans please leave the discussion. Thanks.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

[QUOTE=Lookout Zeromus_X;2177182]
    Quote Originally Posted by Auragaea View Post
    However, pronounce it however you want, because no one really cares.
    There you go.

Adding that "eh" or "ay" at the end of same or mune sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. Probably because I've only ever read those words in the english text of the video game, and therefore pronounced it like all the other english words in the game.

And as I said before, your tendencies to pronounce every other part of the word in english, probably causes you to not pronounce it as a Japanese person would. So just because your adding that "eh" or "ay" or whatever it is at the end of same, or mune, doesn't mean your pronouncing the entire word correctly.

Case and point:

I've learned some french in my years in elementary and highschool, and knew quite a few words but never had the opportunity to practice them. Anyways, I was in Paris airport, and wanted to order a milk. So I walked up to the counter, and said "du lait, si vous plais". The lady looked at me funny, and said "quois?". So I repeated "du lait", (lait pronounced with a silent t, so its something like a sharp "lay") and she still didn't understand me, so I finally said "milk", and she finally understood and got me my damn milk.
    Last edited by crazybayman; 05-02-2007 at 05:34 PM.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Moo Lra sa may

Mah sa mewn e

Trust me I am the master

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Look if we're going to pronounce everything as it would be in Japanese we're going to have to start calling Cloud "Crowd", and Final Fantasy "Finar Fantaji".
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Japanese Tourist in Crocodile Dundee
    YOU KNOW WHO DAT IS?!?!? DAT CRINT EASTWOOD!!.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post
    Look if we're going to pronounce everything as it would be in Japanese we're going to have to start calling Cloud "Crowd", and Final Fantasy "Finar Fantaji".
    Actually, I'm in a Japanese class and my teacher MS. NEZUKA told us distinctly that the letter "r" in Japanese "ra" "ri" "ru" "re" "ro", is pronounced as an "l" so it would be "la" "li" "lu" "le" "lo".

Therefore, Cloud is Cloud, Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy and Barret Wallace is Ballet Wallace.

Spelling would be something like Kuraodo Sutoraifu, Fuainaa Fuaantashii, and Beereto Waresu.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default For example, I am almost positive that I have spelled the word pronunciation wrong.

And as I said before, your tendencies to pronounce every other part of the word in english, probably causes you to not pronounce it as a Japanese person would. So just because your adding that "eh" or "ay" or whatever it is at the end of same, or mune, doesn't mean your pronouncing the entire word correctly.
    I do study Japanese and I will have to assure you that I am pronouncing it correctly. I am only giving the pronunciation key in such a way that people that don't know any Japanese would be able to pronounce it more or less correctly. If I found some way to record it, I'd be more than happy to say it out loud...

Mind you, I am not telling you have to pronounce it a certain way. I don't really care how you pronounce it, but that doesn't change the fact that there are still proper ways to spell and pronounce these words.

Of course we wouldn't want to pronounce western names the way the Japanese would, since they're supposed to be English names anyway. But Murasame and Masamune are native Japanese words; and should be treated like any other loanword (in theory...).
    Actually, I'm in a Japanese class and my teacher MS. NEZUKA told us distinctly that the letter "r" in Japanese "ra" "ri" "ru" "re" "ro", is pronounced as an "l" so it would be "la" "li" "lu" "le" "lo".

Therefore, Cloud is Cloud, Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy and Barret Wallace is Ballet Wallace.

Spelling would be something like Kuraodo Sutoraifu, Fuainaa Fuaantashii, and Beereto Waresu.
    The pronunciation of 'l' and 'r' in Japanese really depends on the dialect of the person speaking. It is more accurate to say that the 'l' and 'r' sounds are the same sound in Japanese; as is the case with 'b' and 'v, 'h' and 'f', and other 'substitute sounds'.

The transliterating of foreign words into katakana does not mean that a person's name is going to be spelled in romaji when it is in English...Square almost always uses official romanizations of characters' names, and Barret is no exception.

LOL. Ballet Wallace... I'm picturing a muscular black guy in a frilly pink tutu now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookout Zeromus_X View Post

The pronunciation of 'l' and 'r' in Japanese really depends on the dialect of the person speaking. It is more accurate to say that the 'l' and 'r' sounds are the same sound in Japanese; as is the case with 'b' and 'v, 'h' and 'f', and other 'substitute sounds'.

The transliterating of foreign words into katakana does not mean that a person's name is going to be spelled in romaji when it is in English...Square almost always uses official romanizations of characters' names, and Barret is no exception.
    Just so you know (I should have used lol) Ballet Wallace was a joke at CMP's expense.

The Japanese aren't stupid and I would never imply that. Roomaji is an entirely different writing style from Katakana. Barret as a word foreign to Japanese origin would be spelled pretty much the way I wrote it accordingly to what katakana syllables stand for. That doesn't necessarily mean it'd be pronounced that way. And yes, l/r are interchangeable . . . yet my sensei seems to believe it is more correct to use the "l" sound. :rolleyes2

Masamune and Murasame would be spelled in hiragana and pretty much the only sound that receives silence is "u" (ooo) though sometimes "i" (eee) as well. Therefore, MaSaMuNe or MaSaMNe as well as MuRaSaMe or MRaSaMe would be correct. Pretty much only because many Japanese people prefer to talk fast.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

I thought this thread was about pronouncing masamune not a japanese lesson

The problem began when someone started saying that there's a right way to pronounce it. Sure, it's true, but I think most people believed the thread to be as you said, "How do you pronounce it?"