Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony use slaughtered goat as promotion stunt

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Yay. Someone took the time to read the whole thing.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I'd understand if Kratos actually killed and ate goats in GoW2, but contextually speaking it's not justified in the least making it even more odd.

Basically if you want this crap to stop then let us Europeans have the bloody games the same bloody time you do! You DO realise this is a protest right? We just haven't said so.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

It's still better then the Spanish toreadors, though rather weird for a geek meeting. I can already imagine the titles:

“Geeky Company (Sony (c (tm (r)))) sadistically murders an innocent goat to satisfy the bloodlust of their geeky customers.”

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I thought people were supposed to do that.
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grinenshire View Post
    “Geeky Company (Sony (c (tm (r)))) sadistically murders an innocent goat to satisfy the bloodlust of their geeky customers, unlike Nintendo, who we all love without question. LOL WII!.”
    Fixed for truth-of-the-matterness.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Spammerman View Post
    I didn't. The story is actually summed up in the first 2 sentences, the rest is the journalist's bauble.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinenshire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spammerman View Post
    I didn't. The story is actually summed up in the first 2 sentences, the rest is the journalist's bauble.
    Was talking about Tsukasa's quote.
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Couple of points for people who didn't read the article:

-The Magazine was recalled. It never reached 'normal' newsstand circulation, but people who subscribed to it already have it.

-This was not intended to be a public ad, instead it was an invite to a number of European press--none from the UK, where this magazine comes from.

Bad taste on the part of whoever decided to run that image in their mag, but they sure are feeling it now.

Given the product they were promoting, it's great. Definitely not something for the masses though, hence the recall once Sony got wind of it.

Hey guys, lets all take things The Daily Mail say seriously!

In other news, asylum seekers are eating our pets!
    Last edited by Maxico; 05-01-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Word/s.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

The worst part of that article is they somehow managed to tie it into violence in video games being bad. I think using a real goat was stupid as a marketing tactic though

I'd have been harsher towards Sony, but whenever I see stupidly written and sensationalist articles I always feel compelled to defend whoever they're about.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Blog Entries

Oh God, the Daily Mail got hold of it, you can now feel safe in the fact that everything it says will be totally wrong.

there was a picture here

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    YES

What's really funny is that I'm here at work (its lunchtime), and my boss walks by while I had the article opened and literally says "WTF?" So I explained the stunt, and he says "crazy." and walks away.

I guess how you take this depends on where you come from. I used to hang out with a kid whose dad had a herd of sheep (a small farm, actually), and the age of...oh I dunno....maybe 12 or younger I saw him slaughter a sheep. He literally just cut its throat, and pinned the animal's head into a "bleed hole" in the floor of his shed, with his foot, while the animal kicked for its life as it bled to death.

Likewise, I successfully hunted and snared my first rabbit (which we later ate in rabbit stew) at the age of 5.

So a dead goat carcass? Big frickin' deal. I actually know a dude who has a few goats he'll soon slaughter (if he hasn't done so already).

The game is about an ancient Greek God, and a violent Greek God, at that. Its just a promotional setup to display the power of an ancient Greek God. Of course a freshly slaughtered goat is necessary for that
    Last edited by crazybayman; 05-01-2007 at 04:47 PM.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

It would have been better had they stuffed the goat with candy and used it as a pinata but instead of a stick they would use a battle axe

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    It would have been better had they stuffed the goat with candy and used it as a pinata but instead of a stick they would use a battle axe
    There ya go

Instead of "pin the tail on the donkey" they could play "Slaughter the Goat".
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybayman View Post
    I guess how you take this depends on where you come from. I used to hang out with a kid whose dad had a herd of sheep (a small farm, actually), and the age of...oh I dunno....maybe 12 or younger I saw him slaughter a sheep. He literally just cut its throat, and pinned the animal's head into a "bleed hole" in the floor of his shed, with his foot, while the animal kicked for its life as it bled to death.

Likewise, I successfully hunted and snared my first rabbit (which we later ate in rabbit stew) at the age of 5.

So a dead goat carcass? Big frickin' deal. I actually know a dude who has a few goats he'll soon slaughter (if he hasn't done so already).
    I really don't think most of the people upset about this feel that way because of the gross factor, bro. Anyone that's stepped out of the city for a day can handle a dead carcass, I'm sure. All of the examples you mentioned involved EATING the animal that was killed, implying that you were using it for something other than a party prop. I could be wrong about that, but otherwise it doesn't sound like you really get it. It's beyond just gross -- it's inhumane.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    And I'm going to completely contradict myself by laughing at this. XD