Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think I'll be able to learn reading sheet music in two days?

Banned

Default Do you think I'll be able to learn reading sheet music in two days?

Alright, I have a talent for music, and I do play very often on various instruments.
    The problem is, I'm gonna go on a rehearsal or whatever on a music school in two days, and you're required to handle prima vista (i.e. ability to read and play music at the same time) over there.
    I'm training right now, and, well, it doesn't seem completely hopeless - I can handle this prima vista a little bit, although I often have to stop for a few seconds and check things.
    My reading sheet music is comparable to a seven-year-old trying to read words.

Do you think I can finish this in two days?

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I can't, you might be able to.....If you were Satan.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

If you can't read music to begin with you won't be able to do it in two days.

If you can read music in theory I don't know what the problem is.

Ergo it makes most sense to say you won't be able to read music in two days.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Peter_20, when things get tough and you're not sure if you can go on, if your hope is fading and you don't know where to turn to, please just remember this: I believe in you. I've watched you for many moons now, and I know you have what it takes.

Good luck, Peter. Justice always prevails.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    If you can't read music to begin with you won't be able to do it in two days.

If you can read music in theory I don't know what the problem is.

Ergo it makes most sense to say you won't be able to read music in two days.
    Well, I can interpret sheet music and so on, the only problem is that I find it hard to read it AND play it at the same time.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You're more or less screwed. It takes a decent amount of time to learn to do that. I suggest you get practicing now if you want any hope of doing it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

In two days? No.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Banned

I guess this is one of those days when I manage to get into some kind of fight with exactly everyone.

Oh well, I actually seem to have made some progress already - it is easier now that an hour before, anyway.

So, uh, why would you sign up for this if you needed something you couldn't do? Or why didn't you start this earlier if you signed up for it earlier?

All-in-all, this sounds like a pretty lame thing.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

In this particular situation, referring to <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasites_Lost>"Parasites Lost"</a> is probably the best thing to do. Go pick up that Holophonor!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This is not like learning Omni Slash where you get a bag of it from some random arena and you know it all of a sudden.

EDIT: and I alway wonder why Omni Slash come in a bag form.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's a manual which you make the characters read. That's why they say "I don't understand this" or something like that if you give it to the wrong person, or before they know all the other limits.

That also shows that they don't just suddenly get it, but need extensive knowledge about fighting before they understand how to do them.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It must be that knot on that bag, they really do need some extensive knowledge before they can untie it and consume it.

EDIT: I mean, it is pretty hard to untie a knot with those kind of hands they have!
    Last edited by Christmas; 05-01-2007 at 07:09 PM.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

if you could learn the music in advance with sheet music and submit most of it to memory so you can glance at the sheet music for reminders, that would work depending on how good you are but if its completely new to you it doesn't look good. give it time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

boys from the dwarf has a good point if that option is available to you. If not then i would say you may struggle. Do you know how long the piece is? or any information about what it is. Fortunately a lot of music follows similar patterns so if you are familiar with similar pieces that may help (for example Pagannini's caprices tend to have similar ideas or a lot of Bach's work) try to familiarise youself with common patterns in the style it will be (again if you know what style it will be).

Beyond that, good luck, give it a shot you have nothing to lose. And go to the doctor when you get back.
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche