Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross or Trigger?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Agrias View Post
    I think we've made it pretty clear that Chrono Trigger is the winner here. Cross had kind of a messed up storyline too. I couldnt quite link the two together. So its Chrono Trigger for me, all the way.
    CC is really less of a traditional "sequel" and more of a side story since all it really does is answer one of the mysteries from CT which was "What happened to Schala?". And in the course of answering this question it just raised so many more...

What's happened to most of the world?
    When did Moore become a military state?
    What exactly happened to Guardia?
    What happened to Crono and Marle?
    What happened to Lucca since most fans don't honestly believe that FATE/Lynx could seriously take her out...
    What happened to Glenn and how did the Masamune wind up the way it did?
    What happened to Magus? (though this is actually touched upon in Radical Dreamers)

The questions about the countries are easy to answer. Time goes on, the people in power change, and the countries change. Knowing what happened could always be nice, but its hardly a big deal.

And face it people, Lynx owned Lucca. The villians this time around are apperently stronger than before.

Still prefer Trigger though.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

...Lavos DESTROYED THE WORLD.

If they could just tie CC in a bit more, i bet it would have been better. But isnt it true that it was made by people who werent the original game designers for CT? Or am i wrong in this?
    ~*Fizzgig*~

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    ...Lavos DESTROYED THE WORLD.
    Nah, he just messed it up a little bit.

I enjoyed Chrono Trigger more because of the smaller cast. When you make a large group of playable characters, such as the one in Chrono Cross, individual stories kind of lose themselves to each other. There is too much sacrifice and some characters seem to be added in there for comedic or random value, and I'm not a big fan of that. Chrono Trigger's cast all had a reason to be there, and it was easy to understand.

That said, Chrono Cross was still an immensely pleasurable experience for what it was, and I appreciated that. I just prefer smaller casts to larger ones. Or a larger cast with equally entertaining stories and a minimum of the "HEY LEMME JOIN YOU TO JOIN YOU!"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    The questions about the countries are easy to answer. Time goes on, the people in power change, and the countries change. Knowing what happened could always be nice, but its hardly a big deal.

And face it people, Lynx owned Lucca. The villians this time around are apperently stronger than before.

Still prefer Trigger though.
    I didn't see a body dammit, so she can still be alive!

CC just needed more explanations as to what happened around the world since the time gap between both games wasn't significant enough for me to believe Moore, which was a damn peacful town, turned into a military state and possibly attacked Guardia. I mean CT only had like four nations so what the hell happened?

CC was a pretty decent game but damn did it take the series into a completely different direction...

I like them both but I did enjoy Trigger more. Cross did a number of things that upset me. I do like Cross's battle system more, though.

Plus, Trigger has Lucca and that gives it golden-flavored awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    And face it people, Lynx owned Lucca.

I hate you KeanuSaltine ;_; (SPOILER)Beneath the love.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    What's happened to most of the world? It is only 20 years later. Probably not too much
    When did Moore become a military state? Someone else answered this above
    What exactly happened to Guardia? Taken out in a war. Probably by Moore since they are now a military state. The end result is that Guardia doesn't have the power it once had and is probably subservient to Moore...or they were obliterated.
    What happened to Crono and Marle? Probably dead due to the war or they are still rulers of the country and just surrendered power/control and blah blah blah.
    What happened to Lucca since most fans don't honestly believe that FATE/Lynx could seriously take her out...Lucca was pwned. That was answered in the game. She was captured. Brought there to Chronopolis to disable the system and the system that she created killed her because there is no way to bypass it.
    What happened to Glenn and how did the Masamune wind up the way it did?According to the new CT animated ending Glenn gets his old body back and becomes a knight of sorts again. As for the Masamune, I don't really think much of anything happened to the sword. This is my own opinion but I think the sword mearly influences the person to do what they want even if it isn't right. We don't see this in Chrono Trigger because Magus is kind of evil at said time and Frog uses the sword to do what he was going to do anyways. The influence is to go kill Magus and he goes off to do that.
    What happened to Magus? (though this is actually touched upon in Radical Dreamers) This is not 100% true since that is yet another alternate universe. At least if I remember correctly that is how it is.

What happens to Magus in Radical Dreamers?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Forgive me if I'm not 100% accurate as it has been quite a few years since I read all the scenarios.

In Radical Dreamers, at least one of the scenarios:rolleyes2 Serge, Kid and a man named Gil (who happens to looks like a bit more menacing version of Guile from CC) are a group of theives sneaking into Viper Manor. Through the course of the game it's revealved that Gil is actually Magus who is looking for Schala and watching her from the shadows since she has no recollection of who she really is.

Fun fact for Chrono fans: While visiting Chronopolis in CC, there is a room that shows off the two main parallel worlds but you can access a machine that gives off a dialogue between Kid, Serge, and Gil from Radical Dreamers. It's this one scene that makes certain fans feel Radical Dreamers counts as part of the Chrono series.

And edczxcvbnm, though I mostly agree with your answers, there are a few that I don't...

The Masamune answer since CC makes the sword corrupt people while it never had anything remotely like that in CT. I just don't feel like either game gives enough info to really explain how it became the way it did.

As for the fate of Lucca, Crono, and Marle... My main issue comes from the kid versions of the characters that haunt Serge throughout the game. It was never really explained and the never gave enough information as to who they really are. Are they actually the "ghosts" of these characters since they may have died at some point between CT and CC? Are they just temporary forms used to communicate with Serge cause something prevents them from accessing the islands like FATE or the Devourer of Time?

If Lucca is dead, then how can she be with Crono and Marle if they are supposedly alive? If Crono and Marle are also dead... who or what could have taken them out since we are talking about two people who helped beat Lavos?

Dammit this is why we need Chrono Brake...

Who says those kid versions are actually them anyway? They don't seem to act like themselves. (Thanks for the Magus explanation, by the way. :P)

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Who says those kid versions are actually them anyway? They don't seem to act like themselves. (Thanks for the Magus explanation, by the way. :P)
    "Alternate universes" was always what I believed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    "Alternate universes" was always what I believed.
    Remember, they were in the dead see, the place where all the futures that never existed are. Those ghosts said thanks to serge Lavos returns. Meaning in one of these futures, lavos returned and killed everyone. Those ghosts were the ghosts from that timeline, not the ones you play in.

SO yes, what jowy said, but detailed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

But they also appear on Opassa Beach in the True Timeline when you go fight the Devouer of Time...

Crono mentions that Lynx and Harle tried to capture Lucca to disengage the Prometheus circuit but the mission ended in failure... but it never mentioned she was killed. Was it as Chronopolis that it's mentioned?

Also... Lucca says that "they" (Crono, Marle, and Lucca) no longer exist in the main timeline. I'm guessing this can be interpreted as them being dead... yet the three "ghosts" talk as though they are the originals instead of alternate versions of them. I'm just saying that when we are dealing with a game where people can time travel and travel through parallel worlds, saying "..we no longer exist in this timeline..." doesn't necessarily mean death...

Conspiracy theory...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    But they also appear on Opassa Beach in the True Timeline when you go fight the Devouer of Time...

Crono mentions that Lynx and Harle tried to capture Lucca to disengage the Prometheus circuit but the mission ended in failure... but it never mentioned she was killed. Was it as Chronopolis that it's mentioned?

Also... Lucca says that "they" (Crono, Marle, and Lucca) no longer exist in the main timeline. I'm guessing this can be interpreted as them being dead... yet the three "ghosts" talk as though they are the originals instead of alternate versions of them. I'm just saying that when we are dealing with a game where people can time travel and travel through parallel worlds, saying "..we no longer exist in this timeline..." doesn't necessarily mean death...

Conspiracy theory...
    Opasa beach is also a place where two different Dimensions cross. It wouldn't be surprising if another dimension crossed it as well, or if they were able to access that area from the dead sea. I mean the Gate to the devourer of time is also there, so its not unlikely that more dimensions cross that point.

and if those are the heroes of the main timeline, it really doesn't change much. Its quite likely that Lynx took out Crono and Marle as well. Given how he was a general in the Poore nation and all, he likely fought against Crono in the War and won. Maybe he even had something to do with Poore becoming a military state. That, however, is completely speculation.

And what possibly could have happened to Lucca then? They obviously don't have her trapped, and if she escaped why are they not hunting her? Also, doesn't Kid Say that Lucca was killed by lynx a few times?