Thread: Mal Ring Set

Default Mal Ring Set

I was looking at the various rings in the AH and noticed some very odd rings. They are the Malflame, Malfrost, Malgust, Malflash, and Malflood rings. They usually go for 5-10k on my server but they do nothing but hurt your stats.

I was wondering if there was a synth recipe for them or something that would explain why these worthless rings sell for so much. Just do note they come from lvl 36-40 NM Bogys in Gusgen Mines and have a rare tag stuck on them.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

+10 resist stat seems pretty spiffy o_o;

I don't believe there is any synth/desynth for it... no NPC sell price...

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, they don't sell very often so they probably aren't that great.

I guess if you were going to fight some boss who was heavy on a element they would be useful.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

The way elemental resistance in FFXI calculated is beyond crap. They really do next to nothing. In a situation where you are worried about a particular elemental damage you will almost always do better by wearing something that will improve your stats in some other way. If you're a DD you will do better wearing rings that will help you bring down the mob faster (Acc, STR, etc.). Mages would also benefit more from wearing rings that generally help them in other ways.

There are only a handful of instances where elemental resistance can be useful. Jailer of Faith uses insanely strong Earth attacks and hammers you with petrification and Stonega V. Even so, it's nailing everyone and once our tank tried a resistance build and half way through the fight said, "F**k it, this isn't working."

One of the better situations it can be used in is for a PLD tanking Jailer of Love. The general strategy is a particular placement that allows the PLD to not take any physical damage and just sit back and eat huge nukes of varying elements. However, a PLD would have to have a full set of resistance gears of every element to really do this and inventory space procludes that. I think our PLD generally would use whatever stacked resistances he could get from gear he already had on him for that.

The other big one is for Bahamut. PLDs will often use a very high Fire Resistance build as well as getting buffed by WHMs (with AFv2 legs) and Bard's with Soul Voice and Crumhorn +1 to attempt to survive Tetra (?) Flare (though you could pull it off without all of that most likely if you play it smart). A good build and fully buffed can get you around 500ish resistance. However considering a WHM's Barfira alone can give you 120-130 (depending on merits) and a BRD with soulvoice can do the same, +10 on a pathetic little ring is gonna do jack crap for you.

The short answer... why do people buy that crap? Because they are stupid. The rings are painfully easy to farm up from NMs that have virtually zero competition and spawn very regularly. It's ridiculous to pay more than 2-5k (dunno exactly where the economy is anymore) on them.

I personally almost never saw them move on the AH on my server when I played, otherwise I'd suggest sell them and take advantage of other people's idiocy.

I remember reading patch notes that said Elemental Resistances usually go up with level and now it either doesnt show it the same way or its just removed, so there might be diminishing returns on these things, where it might help alot when theres a lower ammount or lower level but as you go higher its a different story.

As for the Mal Rings themselves, it might have been useful once, but under the current system it might not...i have no clue. Elemental Resistances arent worthless..but how much is too much or just how much +/-10 alone is not that apparent at this point in time..:x At least to me.

Fire does seem to be the most important and most used one however.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3