Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The great books you have read...

Blog Entries

La Dame aux Camelias... (The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas, son)
    God what a book! I cried, I couldn't stop reading it...

There are some other books from Eça de Queiróz (now translated in english) that are awsome I couldn't stop reading 'The mistery of Sintra street' and 'The Priest Amaro crime'

Articles

A Song of Ice and Fire Series

The Wheel of Time Series

Harry Potter Series

Books by Vonnegut

read the kouga ninja scrolls good book from del rey manga
    as soon as i can get it ill read swlf exile love the legacy series darker is better.
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Pink Grin

Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen.

Catch-22 is probably my favourite book. It's not short, but I think I read it in a couple of days. It's absurd, but hilarious and quite cutting.

Winnie-the-Pooh is great. Seriously! I read it when I was 23, and it was a revelation. Er, that sounds wrong... but it's not.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X is the best piece of non-fiction I've read. Utterly compelling and kind of devastating that he died when he did. He had finally figured out what needed to happen and had come to a realisation.

The Sea of Fertility tetralogy by Yukio Mishima is very good, especially Spring Snow and the final part, The Decay of the Angel feels like a body blow. I also really like The Sound of Waves, also by Mishima - really simple, but so effective.

American Psycho is very funny, even though there's no way it should be. Patrick Bateman is just about my favourite literary character.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtsplurt View Post
    American Psycho is very funny, even though there's no way it should be. Patrick Bateman is just about my favourite literary character.
    I commend you for reading American Psycho. Quite possibly my favorite book, mostly for the reasons you listed. Although I'm pretty sure BEE intended it to be hilarious, yet repulsive.

Another Bret Easton Ellis book I <3 is Glamorama, which is quite similar to Psycho except it deals with the fashion industry...and involves terrorist models.

Other books I enjoy:
    - Harry Potter
    - A Song of Ice and Fire
    - The Stand
    - Kurt Vonnegut
    - The Perks of Being a Wallflower