Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat neutralization/training

Default Cat neutralization/training

Recently.... 15minutes ago
    Our cat(11years old), jumped on top of my Television, which is a angled back model, and proceeded to slide down the back of it, with the card holder that was sitting on top.
    Not sure if the card holder or her did it, but my RFU Adapter for my PS2 came unplugged from that TV, and the connection from it to the cable line is bent to a 45 degree angle.

I have not tested it yet, but at best that means I have to switch out RFU adaptor and cable line when I want to play.

So.... seeing as the cat has been jumping on this TV for 2 years, anyone have obedience/disciplinary advice? Or prevention measures. The card holder has already been moved.

The TV has 2 inches of flat top, then curves down at about a 30degree angle to the back connection points. The cat for some reason wants to get up on top of it quite often... especially when it wants attention.

Sorry if this doesn't belong in this forum.. but it is the help forum.
    Apology in advance.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Barbed wire comes to my mind first
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

After inspection and testing. The RF adapter still runs the playstation 2 just fine.
    However the cable input adapter is... not fully functional
    It is flexible now, and mostly bendable from about 15 degrees to 60 degrees off center. When hooking the cable up to it, cable comes through worse than "rabbit ears", but.. i guess could be played with and possibly made viewable.

Fow now i'll just have to switch the RF adapter with the cable when I want either or... until I get a new RF adapter.

By the way...

Want to Sell 11year old Black/White cat.
    Sheds hair alot
    Doesn't listen or learn tricks
    Is mean, and "play-bites" often
    Wants attention all the time.

/joke I guess, *sighs*

I have the same problem as you, i have 5 cats, 4 of them dont bother me but one always has to jump up and be annoying. I have tried just being persistant and putting her on the floor each time, but she either doesnt learn or enjoys annoying me lol my mum just told me to spray her with water each time she does it, then she will learn not to jump up, but i havnt got the heart to do it so if you find a useful technique please say

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It seems you have a great "cat slide" on your cat amusement park house

Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Awwwwwww...

Oh, I guess I should probably give advice. A squirt bottle on light mist with cold water is always a good discipline tool for a cat. Try to catch the cat every time it does it and give him a squirt. Eventually he will make a connection between sliding on the television and getting a cold wet mist and stop doing it.

The most important thing is to do it immediately after he does whatever you don't want him to do, or else he will not make the connection. Keep a squirt bottle by the television.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The reason the cat wants to be on the TV is because it is warm. Cats love warm spots. If he has been given access to the TV for the last two years, it's kind of too late now for you to change <i>your</i> mind about allowing him to do this.

Maybe try placing something else on the TV that would prevent him from being able to jump on it. A plant, maybe. Or a big stack of books, etc.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantKnight View Post
    By the way...

Want to Sell 11year old Black/White cat.
    Sheds hair alot
    Doesn't listen or learn tricks
    Is mean, and "play-bites" often
    Wants attention all the time.

/joke I guess, *sighs*
    yeah got one of those 3 year old black psycho
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza View Post
    Maybe try placing something else on the TV that would prevent him from being able to jump on it. A plant, maybe. Or a big stack of books, etc.
    The books sound good to me, but I wouldn't put a plant there because if he knocks it over, it can be a pain. Books can just be easily picked up and stacked again.

Hit the top of the cat's ear everytime he does it. I had two and it usually works after a while. Just don't hit his head.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hitting the cat in any way for something that he's already been allowed to do for the last two years will be very confusing to say the least.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Well I'd normally pick the cat up when it jumped up there, and take it straight to the nearest chair/etc, telling it no.
    That for two years, has been.. semi-ok, and the cat never knocked anything over. Today I guess she lost her footing.

You need cacti. Several cacti.

Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    You need cacti. Several cacti.
    Or a laser-trip fence set up around the perimeter triggering a recording of a barking dog.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

the obvious solution is to keep the cat out of the room with the tv. Baby gates maybe?