Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This game is NOT similar to Dragon Quest!

Banned

Default This game is NOT similar to Dragon Quest!

Everyone says that this game was strongly inspired by Dragon Quest, it was pretty much a carbon-copy, bla-bla-bla.
    But seriously, I never knew what people were talking about.

I mean, where ARE the similarities?
    The graphics are different, the styles are different, the technical aspects are all different, the music is different, the stories are different - I could go on forever.
    FF1 has a much more complicated plot as well, and its PROLOGUE consists of the whole story in Dragon Quest ("level-up-and-save-the-princess-from-bad-guy").

Oh well, where are the similarities, anyway?

I've never heard this game compared to Dragon Quest. I'm not saying that it never has been compared, just isn't as frequent as you claim.

Personally, I don't see many similarities either.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The first Final Fantasy is pretty much a copy of Dungeons and Dragons. Maybe that's what you heard?

Otherwise, besides being the first games in long-running RPG series, they are quite a bit different in terms of style and presentation.

There could have been people saying the two games are similar about the time these games were originally released here. As RPGs weren't as plentiful as they are today, Dragon Quest (then-Warrior) came out about a year or two before Final Fantasy and since people weren't too used to RPGs, I guess they generalized the supposed similarities.

Random battles, a top-down angle view, buying stuff, towns, character building, talking to a king, rescuing a princess, crossing a bridge into more dangerous territory, etc. all the simple stuff that people experienced after playing Dragon Quest back in the late 80's probably gave them a different look at Final Fantasy when it came out. Both of them had cult followings and [I]Nintendo Power[I] magazine was heavily promoting these games. Its surprising this subject has come up because I bought both games in '94 (DW-used, FF-brand new!) and didn't really see much similarity.

Its only a part theory as to why some may see the two games as similar, but obviously there are plenty of differences that keep them from being too similar.

The first Final Fantasy is pretty much a copy of Dungeons and Dragons. Maybe that's what you heard?
    Actually, that's one reason the original is one of my favorites in the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post
    Everyone says that this game was strongly inspired by Dragon Quest, it was pretty much a carbon-copy, bla-bla-bla.
    you're either misinterpreting it or someone is talking out of their ass, that statement is right and wrong: FF was strongly inspired by DQ but it's definately not a carbon copy in that it far surpassed DQ in terms of graphics, gameplay, and story, which has always been the 3 strongholds of FF.

When Sakaguchi set out to make the game he wanted it to be a Fantasy in the same vein as Dragon Quest, which was a hugely popular game in Japan, and practically the template for the Console RPG. They just took it to another level (if you ask me). Also FF was completely different in that once you got to the wind shrine the game completely changes - you're in a floating fortress fighting robots... i'm sure at the time people must have been like "WTF???" Also the whole time loop thing was just off the map as far as its contemporaries.

Well, pretty much ALL Final Fantasy/Dragon Warrior/Phantasy Star/etc./etc./etc.-style RPGs had the same ingredients until it came down to graphics and story back in those days. It wasn't until like half way into the 16 bit era when different features started carrying games into different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Well, pretty much ALL Final Fantasy/Dragon Warrior/Phantasy Star/etc./etc./etc.-style RPGs had the same ingredients until it came down to graphics and story back in those days. It wasn't until like half way into the 16 bit era when different features started carrying games into different directions.
    You!

This game is NOT similar to Dragon Quest!
    No, this game is a lot kcufing better.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

my favorite part is choosing the climb stairs from the menu.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

[Q=eestlinc]my favorite part is choosing the climb stairs from the menu.[/q]
    Oh smurf yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    This game is NOT similar to Dragon Quest!
    No, this game is a lot kcufing better.
    Completely

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

No... no its not. But who ever said that it was? Lol, I enjoy this game alot, and have only ever played Dragon Quest VIII. I don't think they are at all alike.

I don't enjoy this game a lot, at all. Seriously, it's out dated compared to today's standards. It's like going to the future and then travelling back in time to the stone age. Basic story + Far too much wondering = Not so good now.

It was influential but that doesn't make it a good game to me.

Yeah, Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy have nothing in common. Except for the all the core gameplay mechanics. Other than that, nothing at all.