Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Penelo - Transient Extraordinaire

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Default Penelo - Transient Extraordinaire

Seriously, can someone tell me what the hell she was around for exactly? She just seemed to kind of get roped in with Vaan (who also feels like a third-leg at the best of times, and as an unwanted interloper at the worst), and then proceeds to be completely inconsequential to anything but battles if you decide to use her. Really, where's the motivation besides just tagging along? She always feel like either a severely underdeveloped character or a sixth party placeholder to even out the battles without any thought given to exactly why she's there.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

what she has more MP that most of the party, and therefore becomes my main healer.
    I'm back who mised me.
    Tumble weed roles across the ground.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

She is there to make you buy the sequel
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Adult doujinshi.

An unknown quantity Disco Potato's Avatar

Plot-wise I think (SPOILER)it was her capturing that eventually led the party at that point to first learn about nethicite (but I haven't played the game in a while so that might be wrong), but after (SPOILER)Bhujerba I really don't know.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

She's there to be the clever astute one to counter vaan's insipid dullness.

Seriously, she makes the connections between a lot of things.

I know i love her, and would use her in my party all the time if I wasn't trying to level everyone up equally xD

She didn't want to be seperated from Vaan like she was when he taken off to Nalbina, since he's one of few people important to her that she has left, and due to his nature she can't trust him not to get pulled off to a dungeon again. She's trying to watch out for him. And her general purpose over the course of the story is to interact with Larsa and help show the human side of the Empire. Vaan is in the party for potentially any number of reasons. He wants to find out what kind of man Basch truly is and why Reks admired him; he wants to see Dalmasca restored and the best way to do that is to aid the resistance; he wants to be a sky pirate and one of the best ways to learn would be to learn from a master (Balthier).

I guess people would be happier if there was some empty and ultimately meaningless motivation for them all to be there. "A Princess needs her bodyguards" in the manner of "A Summoner needs her Guardians" or something. But it's not because the characters are somehow bereft of motive that people have this problem - it's that they expect the spoonfed "we're all here for X", whereas the game places a greater onus on the player to pay attention to the characters and work this stuff out themselves.

I don't really understand why people keep asking this question. Clearly, she has been with Vaan since they were children-- they're pratically brother and sister. She went along because she wanted to keep Vaan safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Basch
    I guess people would be happier if there was some empty and ultimately meaningless motivation for them all to be there. "A Princess needs her bodyguards" in the manner of "A Summoner needs her Guardians" or something. But it's not because the characters are somehow bereft of motive that people have this problem - it's that they expect the spoonfed "we're all here for X", whereas the game places a greater onus on the player to pay attention to the characters and work this stuff out themselves.
    Exactly. What I like about this game is that all the characters have different reasons for being on the quest-- Basch wants to protect Ashe, Ashe wants to restore her homeland, Vaan wants to avenge his brother, Penelo wants to make sure Vaan doesn't get himself killed, and Fran and Balthier want to stop Cid and scoop up some loot along the way.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Vaan forgets his brother right after Jahara. Penelo forgets herself after Bhujerba.

Face it. XII is oodles of fun to play, but it is not much in the way of story telling. The fact you have to make it up as you go is not a virtue, it's plainly bad script writing.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Face it. XII is oodles of fun to play, but it is not much in the way of story telling. The fact you have to make it up as you go is not a virtue, it's plainly bad script writing.

Anyone who has seen the ending has to agree with that

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

The ending was really the only good part.

It doesn't make sense that the party practically ran around the whole world with each other, but they hardly spoke to each other, in every toher FF practically every town or dungeon you stop in the party communicates with each other and not just for a second.

Yellow Winged Angel

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah and Ashe (SPOILER)just dumps the people who saved her life and her kingdom. that was so lame!!!

Blog Entries

That really annoyed me it also doesn't make alot sense since the people she saved the world with are all she has left in the end.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post
    That really annoyed me it also doesn't make alot sense since the people she saved the world with are all she has left in the end.
    QFT

Yes, after all that talk about friendship from Vaan and all her angst ridden face at Balthier's fate she tuns out to be a cold blooded bitch ?

Blog Entries

What good is peace if you have no one to enjoy it with serves her right