Page 51 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3141454647484950515253545556576171 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread! 2007-2008 Season

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    The best defence is offence.
    The best defence is eleven men behind the ball. Remember Reading on the opening day of the season?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

To be fair to them, I think that was 10 men...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Blimey, what a cracker between Chelsea and Aston Villa. And Cashley Cole sent off. So whatever happens to Arsenal today at least something good came out of it.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Let's never mention yesterday ever again.

Chelsea v Villa a few days ago, now it's Tottenham v Reading that's providing all the insanity. I just hope Arsenal don't lose now (we've lost the last two seasons at Goodison Park, argh) or I won't be watching MOTD tonight to see the highlights of the Spurs game XD

with half hour left you should have lots to look forward to, esp with Man U having lost.

EDIT: Also, sympathies to the family and friends of Phil O'Donnell (Motherwell Captain) who collapsed and died towards the end of their 5-3 win today.
    Last edited by blim; 12-29-2007 at 06:58 PM.
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Yes, it's very sad to see another footballer die, it's so odd that we've had a few in the last few months

But on the Arsenal front, top going into 2008 (though we are playing New Year's Day, so it may not be for long into 2008 XD). We still look to have problems, especially playing away, but considering what the outlook was back in July or August (who was it here who said we'd be overtaken by the likes of Newcastle now?), I am happy with how it's going at the halfway point.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Yes, it's very sad to see another footballer die, it's so odd that we've had a few in the last few months
    Indeed. Perhaps someone should look into the training practices of modern footballers.

Also, I will say it. I was wrong with what I said about Arsenal at the start of the season. Still think they're a bunch of fancy dans who deserve a good old fashioned kicking, though.

And I will say again I do believe there's still a lot to play for for Liverpool and Chelsea in the league, it only takes a few games to change things.

Even with Chelsea's offside winner today!

Blog Entries

Poasting to acknowledge the Swans' giant win over Leeds with 10 men today

there was a picture here

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Let's never mention yesterday ever again.
    Actually, can we never mention today again?
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

West Ham deserved to win. Having said that, Everton did too. I can't believe so many of the decisions that went Arsenal's way today. But eh, I guess we all get those games.

Gutted to lose the lead but I'm sure by the end of January we'll be back up there, unless something pretty bad happens.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Everton deserved to win?! Come off it, a team whose defence in the second-half made Santa Claus look stingy (as one paper put it) didn't deserve anything out of that game. They had us on the ropes at half-time and it was very bad defensive mistakes on their part rather than any dodgy decisions that scuppered Everton. I know the scoreline was flattering but still...a 4-1 win can be flattering, indeed. But I don't think I've ever heard of a 4-1 win where the losing team deserved to win!

Sorry for the cliche but we showed character yesterday in the second-half to come back.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 12-30-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

What I can take out of that game as it is is a wry grin about the supposed 'long ball' tactics of Everton that we actually out-played Arsenal's midfield yesterday and forced them to adopt long ball tactics in the second half.

But for a handball goal (I didn't see anything wrong with it initially but when I saw replays it was clearer) and an uncharacteristic blunder by Yobo, I think Everton could have won that game. At 3-1 I think Arsenal took the wind out of our sails and clearly one side was more confident than the other after that. I think the 4-1 scoreline flatters Arsenal in all honesty.

Everton's results against the supposed 'big four' are, in my opinion, what prevents us from breaking into the top four again. We've managed one point of fifteen against them (from a 1-1 draw with Chelsea). However when I remember that we deserved something out of the derby, we were only narrowly beaten by Man Utd both times and that we more than matched Arsenal in the first half of yesterdays game, I can't really complain.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles

I think it's winning games that they really shouldn't that set the truly top sides apart from their competitors.

Also, Liverpool "held" by Man City? Well I'm more than satisfied with a draw so whatever, Orange UK Home Page and BBC Ceefax!