Page 10 of 98 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516203060 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread! 2007-2008 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't care if they were all crooks. So long as the football was entertaining and there is no matchfixing etc, I'll be happy. The PL is where it all goes wrong, though. It should be run by the FA... although from what I've seen of them they aren't much better.
    There's absolutely no transparency - like you say, we'll never know the details of the Tevez deal. I think that they broke PL rules, were slapped on the wrist with a 5m fine, and then continued to break PL rules by playing Tevez. And this was pretty much condoned by the PL. Back in 97 (I think), Boro broke PL rules and were docked three points. I don't see how the situations are different, except one team is a London club and gets preferential treatment. 5m vs. however much relegation was worth in those days and the loss of several key players (Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson).

And I think there's a lot more to football than entertainment. Heart and passion. I don't think Shinawatra has too much of that. I wouldn't want a crook to own the team I support. "Oh, we won the league, and the money did come from a guy with alleged human rights crimes, but hey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I thought the Tevez deal was like the Mascherano one. Pay a fee to have him on loan for a while, then an option to buy for £(whatever)m at the end of it. Allegedly the Tevez fee is £30m and the Mascherano fee is somewhere around £10m. If it's true, think I know who got the better deal~
    So that money will all go to West Ham once the loan period is up?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If Roman can buy Chelsea, there's no issue over at City at all.

EDIT: I don't believe Tevez/Mascherano were contracted to West Ham in any way beyond the end of the next season or else the one after that, so there is no reason to pay West Ham at that point. It does all stink a lot, yes, but all companies do. That's just the way things go, really.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Edwin van der Saar what the hell

I like Pizarro and Malouda; Pizarro was on the ball almost as soon as he came on. They seem to be better (i.e. more effective) deals than Shevchenko and Ballack last season (although it's only been one game). And boy oh boy doesn't Fergie play his cards close to the chest.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'll take that. Seriously, how often do you see Cech (supposed best in the world) miss three in a row and then, far more notably, any keeper in the world save three in a row against the likes of Chelsea? Their shots were really poor, though, I have to say.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Seriously, how often do you see Cech (supposed best in the world) miss three in a row
    Champions League semi-final, 2007. He missed four in a row.

Regardless of this, I still think Van der Sar is United's weak point, and I still think Chelsea will take the title.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Seriously, how often do you see Cech (supposed best in the world) miss three in a row
    Champions League semi-final, 2007. He missed four in a row.

Regardless of this, I still think Van der Sar is United's weak point, and I still think Chelsea will take the title.
    If Van der Sar is our "weak point" then I think we're sitting pretty comfy, actually. Because he was in "bad form" last season and we still conceded no more than a slightly more defensive Liverpool did.

Kuzscak is in fantastic form as well, regularly making incredible saves in preseason, so we have more than adequate backup (and that's not even mentioning the currently injured Foster at all).

Articles

It's a shame that it's not Liverpool you have to beat then, isn't it?

Besides, if you look at the Premiership table for the end of April, (ie, when Liverpool stopped trying and started playing reserves. For example, Jerzy Dudek and Daniele Padelli played in goal during that period) and Liverpool had conceded 2 less than United. :strut:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Chelsea ironically spent all this time improving their defence and using it as an excuse for their failures at the end of last season when in reality they just didn't score enough goals and should have focused on improving their attack. Now they're starting the season apparently without Drogba (although that isn't confirmed yet) and I'm still not convinced on Kalou and Shev being anything on Tevez, Rooney and Saha.

I'm sure it'll be tight, though, but I think United have improved on their squad in every area whereas Chelsea have improved only in the areas that didn't really need it. Especially midfield!

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've always felt that Van der Saar was the weak point in the United but as BoB said that's not a terribly bad indication of the rest of the United squad.

On the whole I'm quite looking forward to the first day of the Premiership season (yay for borrowing season tickets so I can see the match). We put in a solid performance against Werder Bremen the other day probably deserved a win more than a draw. Apparently we've made an offer for Argentinian midfielder of £10-11 million (better be better than Fernandes for that price) as well as Baines. Everton do make me laugh sometimes; Sunderland had a £6 million accepted by Wigan but Baines himself rejected the move. For some reason, we decided to then bid £4 million (plus a player). We really need the players though.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Have to say, that £11m midfielder is pretty good stats-wise... 19 goals in 60 games for Porto!

Articles

I hope Rafa doesn't bed in any new signings against Villa, or in any away games. He has to go for tried and true, with a Kuyt-Crouch strikeforce and a midfield along the lines of Pennant-Gerrard-Mascherano/Sissoko-Kewell. The newbies can be used as subs later in the game, and can feature more heavily in games at Anfield until they are settled. We need to hit the ground running.

So, some predictions. Chelsea to win the title, providing they have no major injuries like last season. Losing Cech, Terry and Carvahlo at the same time was a huge blow to them, and they dropped a fair few points during that time.

Arsenal to finish 4th ahead of Spurs. I think Spurs have the better players, but Arsenal have the better manager.

Wigan, Derby and one of the other two promoted teams to go down. I think Middlesbrough will be in there, but Tuncay and Yakubu will fight a two-man battle against relegation and they'll be okay. If they get injured or sold or whatever, though, boro will be in trouble. Fulham might not be too far away, either.

As for the rest of the table, it's way too close to call. There are so many half decent sides filling up the Premiership so it'll be interesting to see how all of that turns out.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Chelsea to win the title. I don't know why I think this, I just don't think Man Utd are going to walk it as easily as many think. Chelsea lost fewer games last season, they just need to cut out the draws a little. Last year Man Utd took Chelsea by surprise, and it'll be harder to do that this time.

Liverpool and Arsenal the same as last season. We have a better manager AND better players than Spurs. If Van Persie stays fit that will be a big help.

Relegation: Derby, Sunderland, Fulham.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If I have to predict some random crap, though...

United, Chelsea/Liverpool, Arsenal/Tottenham, Everton next on the condition that Cahill returns for at least two thirds of the season. Wigan, Derby and Fulham to drop. City to do twice as good in the second half of the season as opposed to the first half. Drogba or Ronaldo to get injured for at least four weeks, and this injury to be blamed for the loss of the Premiership by millions of fans of their respective team. Torres to score more goals for Liverpool than he did at Athletico. Villareal to win the UEFA Cup on the condition that they aren't playing against Bayern Munich in the final. If Bayern Munich reach the final then they'll win for sure. Arsenal to waste half their chances by passing the ball around the opposi<b></b>tion's six yard box. Unless Fabregas scores more than eight goals, they'll finish below Tottenham. United to go much further than last season in the Carling Cup. In fact, United to win any Cups they reach the final of.

Heinze to not get to play for Liverpool without pulling a Hamann. Loads of speculation about Ronaldo leaving United. Rooney and Tevez to turn out to be a wonderful combination. Saha to be injured a lot. Uhm. I dunno. I'm just going on tradition here.

EDIT: "Didier Drogba, Claude Makelele, Salomon Kalou, Michael Ballack, Andriy Shevchenko, Wayne Bridge and Paolo Ferreira were also out of the squad." ... "And Mourinho's predicament was not helped by keeper Petr Cech, Glen Johnson, Florent Malouda and Shaun Wright-Phillips all picking up injuries before half-time against United."

...what the hell do they feed these guys? They're so brittle.

<hr />
    And now, in retaliation to the old "But our backline was injured for so long!" excuse...

Terry - 44 (1) - 11 draws, 5 losses
    Carvalho - 51 (0) - 10 draws, 3 losses
    Cech - 36 (0) - 7 draws, 2 losses (21 conceded)
    Cole - 37 (3) - 9 draws, 3 losses
    Ferreira - 29 (9) - 11 draws, 5 losses

SUMS - 197 (13) - 48 draws, 18 losses

VDS - 47 (0) - 4 draws, 8 losses (42 conceded)
    Rio - 48 (1) - 5 draws, 8 losses
    Vidic - 38 (0) - 5 draws, 5 losses
    Evra - 29 (7) - 2 draws, 6 losses
    Neville - 33 (0) - 4 draws, 3 losses

SUMS - 195 (8) - 20 draws, 30 losses

Your preferred backline was used more often than ours was, so shut up. Your problem was that you simply didn't score enough goals.
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 08-06-2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: was able to better sum it up with stats

Top 4: the usual suspects, and I don't really care who wins because it's a two horse race (again). It's boring. I'd like Aresenal to do well because their passing can be absolutely exquisite. Unfortunately, their squad looks paper thin at the moment.

5th: Middlesbrough. Okay, I think we're still lacking a couple of players and I may be a tad over-optomistic, but I think we could have a decent season. With Luke Young at RB, our defence looks very solid. If only Pogatetz (who is awesome) and Woody weren't injured for the start of the season. I don't think Wheater and Davies will be quite the same rock at the back. I'm really looking forward to seeing Tuncay.

Relegated:
    Derby - although I think Billy Davies is a very good manager. He was impressive with Preston NE before he moved.
    Fulham - very average, and the players that have been brought in stike me as Championship material.
    Wigan - I think losing Paul Jewell will be a big blow for them. Leighton Baines is also on his way, and I rate him highly.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'd agree with Derby, Fulham and Wigan going down, even if I'm rather hoping Newcastle will go down for some reason.

I think that provided we can get that Argentine fellow (or someone else decent) Everton stand a decent chance of reaching Europe. Otherwise, I think the top 5 is pretty much set in stone beyond who will occupy first/second and who gets third/fourth. Looking forward to Saturday! Woo for having tickets.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.