Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718223262 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread! 2007-2008 Season

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

1) Kitson didn't deserve a red card.
    2) I respect Reading a lot.
    3) But that was a disgraceful way to play a game. If you're in the Premiership, you should play to win. 1% of the game played in United's half says it all, really.

Disappointed and really, really frustrated. Still confident that we'll win the title, but I'd rather watch a League Two game than that kind of game, United or not.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Man it's like nothing's changed from last season x_x STILL way too much passing, I wish they'd shoot more, guh, frustration, but oh, Rosicky did actually take a few shots, and I'm so happy for that. He seems to know what's up.

Hleb and Rosicky were brilliant today. And I'm really impressed with Sagna as well; he was making some awesome crosses into the box and passes around as well (although his hair ). We need more headerers. Headerererers. For alla them cornerererers.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Yeah but we've never been the sort of side that can respond well to "Hoofing the ball into the box, and netting it in with the head" I don't think that's Wenger's style of play, along with the passing. I want us to cut down on the flashy stuff even more, and get on with a couple of long shots.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    3) But that was a disgraceful way to play a game. If you're in the Premiership, you should play to win. 1% of the game played in United's half says it all, really.
    I don't agree. Steve Coppell chose the tactics that he thought would be most likely to get points from the game. Whether it's offensive or defensive, it doesn't really matter. I'd rather watch attacking football, yes, but there was a whole lot to admire about that game. I can't remember the last time I saw a team stick to a rigid man-marking system - I found that fascinating to watch. It's like watching a tactical exchange in snooker - there's no potting, but it can be just as engaging.

I still think you need an out-and-out striker. Crosses seem almost pointless at the moment, and that's such an important source of goals. Anything that can get defenders facing towards their own goal has to be good. And there's no-one to hold up the ball and allow players like Rooney and Ronaldo to run off. I think someone like Mark Viduka (on a free) would have done a good job for you for a season or two. It just provides more attacking options - it looks a bit too one dimensional at the moment, and I think Coppell recognised that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Burtsplurt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I don't agree. Steve Coppell chose the tactics that he thought would be most likely to get points from the game. Whether it's offensive or defensive, it doesn't really matter. I'd rather watch attacking football, yes, but there was a whole lot to admire about that game. I can't remember the last time I saw a team stick to a rigid man-marking system - I found that fascinating to watch. It's like watching a tactical exchange in snooker - there's no potting, but it can be just as engaging.
    I still don't like it... I mean, I would have liked it if they tried to get the ball and break on occasion, but they just booted the thing as far away as possible at all times. Oh well, we'll win the next games, I'm sure.
    I still think you need an out-and-out striker. Crosses seem almost pointless at the moment, and that's such an important source of goals. Anything that can get defenders facing towards their own goal has to be good. And there's no-one to hold up the ball and allow players like Rooney and Ronaldo to run off. I think someone like Mark Viduka (on a free) would have done a good job for you for a season or two. It just provides more attacking options - it looks a bit too one dimensional at the moment, and I think Coppell recognised that.
    That's where Saha and Soljskaer come in. Both fully fit and training at the moment, it's just a case of them getting back to the position that they can play in the first team. No point in purchasing an out-and-out striker when you have two just a week or two away from being fully fit - managing four lead strikers is easy. Managing five would be a bit much. Luckily for us, Saha is able to come back from injury and start scoring immediately, he's scored something like 37 goals in 66 games in the past two season for us in the middle of all those injuries.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Im just gonna intrude here and say that my promoted team beat the DFB Pokal winner (equivalent to FA Cup) 0-2 in Nürnberg!
    Oh yeah oh yeah!
    Oh and gratz to lucky Arsenal!
    Lol at poor Lehmann's first touch of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    Yeah but we've never been the sort of side that can respond well to "Hoofing the ball into the box, and netting it in with the head" I don't think that's Wenger's style of play, along with the passing. I want us to cut down on the flashy stuff even more, and get on with a couple of long shots.
    I hope he decides to darned well give that style of play a shot, because out of all our players, the only two I've ever seen take long shots and wild chances are Eboue and Rosicky. The others seem unwilling to shoot unless they're standing right in front of a defenceless goal, and want to pass until they are. And people like Rosicky win us corners. I think we should try and give it a shot. Adebayor might be something, and I have hopes for da Silva.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

That game was ridiculous. Reading are supposed to be a premiership team, not flipping Wycombe Wanderers. I swear, I hope to god other teams don't catch on to that because that was so frustrating to watch. I'm pissed.

As for the red card, I believe Kitson deserved it. With the speed and angle in which he came in with his foot, he could have broken Evra's leg.

Str8 Pimpin'

Quote Originally Posted by Resha View Post
    I hope he decides to darned well give that style of play a shot, because out of all our players, the only two I've ever seen take long shots and wild chances are Eboue and Rosicky. The others seem unwilling to shoot unless they're standing right in front of a defenceless goal, and want to pass until they are. And people like Rosicky win us corners. I think we should try and give it a shot. Adebayor might be something, and I have hopes for da Silva.
    I've never really liked Adebayor for some reason, he just isn't my cup of tea for a forward, he can prove difficult to be tackled but isn't the best scorer either, I've never seen him header though, and Arsenal players are renowned for their flaws in the aerial aspect of the game.

Eboue shouldn't even be shooting! The strikers should be doing that, and I haven't caught a glimpse of the new signings yet, haven't really been into football for about a year and a half.

On a side note, can't wait for Football Manager 2008, gonna definitely choose the Gunners.

I've never really liked Adebayor for some reason, he just isn't my cup of tea for a forward, he can prove difficult to be tackled but isn't the best scorer either, I've never seen him header though, and Arsenal players are renowned for their flaws in the aerial aspect of the game.

Eboue shouldn't even be shooting! The strikers should be doing that, and I haven't caught a glimpse of the new signings yet, haven't really been into football for about a year and a half.

On a side note, can't wait for Football Manager 2008, gonna definitely choose the Gunners.
    He ain't the best finisher, or the highest scorer, but I'll give him one in the sense he really manages to get in great positions to score (although you could argue that's his job -- blegh -- if only he worked on ACTUALLY GETTING THE BALL IN it'd do him oodles of good!) x_x too bad he doesn't. I haven't seen him header overmuch either xD but I can hope.

he does, though; he takes shots and crosses beautifully when he flanks down the right <3 and I wouldn't even care if some of the others tried ecstatic shots half as much as he does.

He ain't the best finisher, or the highest scorer, but I'll give him one in the sense he really manages to get in great positions to score (although you could argue that's his job -- blegh -- if only he worked on ACTUALLY GETTING THE BALL IN it'd do him oodles of good!) x_x too bad he doesn't. I haven't seen him header overmuch either xD but I can hope.

he does, though; he takes shots and crosses beautifully when he flanks down the right <3 and I wouldn't even care if some of the others tried ecstatic shots half as much as he does.
    Then the lad should be demoted down to attacking midfielder, if the best he can do is cross. Although I don't wanna sound grumpy, we've now officially lost Henry and need someone who can actually net in some goals, we can't have more passers like we had for the past five years. I feel optimistic about Da Silva's Brazilian heritage (sounds a bit sad...) and my bro told me he's a good player.

Can't wait to see him in action, is the Premiership show on tonight?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Armisael View Post
    You're a Gunners fan, i already love you! ^_^
    Pretty much the whole of EoFF are Arsenal fans, so expect to love a lot of people. I think it's just me, Burtsplurt, BoB, Rocket Edge and DK defending EoFF against the North London tyrants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge
    I swear, I hope to god other teams don't catch on to that because that was so frustrating to watch.
    Believe you me, you're going to get it every other week. That's the reward of the champions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard
    Eboue shouldn't even be shooting! The strikers should be doing that
    From long range? I'd say that's more of a midfielder's job, as you want your strikers to be in the box.

I think people (namely those on the Teletext football talk page, something which I have just discovered) put waaaay too much emphasis on the first day of the season. A half-strength Spurs lose, so suddenly they're ? Torres doesn't score, so now he's a flop? I fully expect to read about how United are going to come third or fourth tomorrow.

If only England didn't have a striker crisis, I'd be satisfied that Toffee git Rooney was injured (although I am not one to wish injury on players, there are a dozen or so who are exceptions, and he is one of them). He sure knows how to pick the worst times to break bones in his feet as far as England is concerned.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Oberschütze PsychoticWalrus View Post
    Pretty much the whole of EoFF are Arsenal fans, so expect to love a lot of people. I think it's just me, Burtsplurt, BoB, Rocket Edge and DK defending EoFF against the North London tyrants.
    Yeah, but as the old saying goes it's "quality, not quantity" that is important, and as we all know Arsenal scum failures are the lowest quality people on the planet

Anyway, despite my sadness at my lack of being able to (h), I was very happy with our start to the season. Stuffed West Ham on their own turf, all of our new players fired and were causing trouble all over the place. Elano especially looks to be the business, and Petrov was always going to perform brilliantly.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Ahem. I'm not a filthy North Londoner!

Still, I got a laugh out of Spurs losing because of how much people have been rating them to come 4th this season. I don't imagine we'll fare very good against them on Tuesday though.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I was under the impression the only Arsenal fans were me, Resha and Cz. Where'd all the rest suddenly come from? XD

Doesn't bode too well that we started the season in the same way as we spent of most last season, going behind and spending the whole game toiling to get back level or in the lead. I'm not sure what to think yet, I do know that Blackburn away next weekend is the sort of game we really have to perform in this season.

And yeah, a good laugh seeing Spurs lose anyway.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"