Page 15 of 98 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415161718192021253565 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread! 2007-2008 Season

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I was so tempted to take the bait, but thought it's far too early in the season to be arguing with Liverpool fans over that 3rd place
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah that's the problem with there being so many bloody Arsenal fans here! I usually try to get Resha or Cz going but I usually end up in a debate with you

Cz thinks he's too good to deal with a lowlife like me with regards to football these days. He only cares about iissues like Gandalf vs Harry Potter.

I'm not going to argue over third place because I honestly don't think we can get it. The Blackburn game wasn't disappointing so much for the result as the fact that we played exactly the way we did last season. On this evidence, we're still going to struggle against tough-tackling opposition, and still not going to take our chances in front of goal. With upcoming fixtures against Man City, Portsmouth and Tottenham, and our defence Gallas-less, I can see more results like the one we saw yesterday. Unless we can take six points from those games, I can't see us being anything more than a cup team this year.

I thought we stood up very well to Blackburn's physical approach. If it wasn't for Lehmann's error, we could well have won. I think it bodes well for the coming season, we're giving as good as we get. Or at least we will be until we hit a five game winless streak sometime in November.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 08-20-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah, what's the point of arguing over third place when we're obviously going to end up there?

What?
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

England 1 - 2 Germany.

Well, someone has to say it.
    England, you lost against a German B-Team. We had 11 injured players, with around 6 that were important regulars in the team. England had a few injured too, Michael Owen for example definitely wasnt in form, but he didnt have many chances to prove himself. We had to completely change the formation and player posi<b></b>tions (Lahm in defensive midfield anyone?).
    Honestly, both teams played poor football. I think Germany showed the worst football out of both teams in the first 10 minutes. After that the game was merely mediocre, with lots of mistakes on both sides. England had managed a few good moves but were mostly relied on the inexperience, nervousness and failed passes of the German B-team, with the exception of one or two really good plays. Germany managed to create a few chances, and not out of Englands mistakes. They were quite well played. But yeah, their were only few of them.

I think the best player on the pitch was the Germany coach Joachim Löw. He showed the most spirit out of everyone. He was also really daring with some of the decisions he made.

Articles

First of all, Mark Lawrenson and John Motson-
    - MEEKAH? No. It's Micah. My-cah. Got it?
    - John Terry and Rio Ferdinand coming up for a free kick or corner is not a wonderous tactical innovation that needs to be announced with grandeur each time it happens.
    - The New Wembley! The Rebuilt Wembley! Wembley! New Wembley! Oh just smurf off.

Good god Frank Lampard and Kieron Dyer were, well, dire. I would be shocked if that oaf John Terry did not come out in the media and say that Frank has proved his critics wrong. No. He hasn't. Great, he scored a goal...and missed two good opportunities when passing it to/leaving it for a team mate were a much better option. And poor old Jermain Defoe, to know that McClaren would rather see Dyer up front than him!

After the Brazil game I said in this very thread (or at least, I assume it was this one) that I hoped I would never see Alan Smith lining up in England's no. 9 shirt again. I still very much hold onto that hope.

Not even going to bother with Paul Robinson; the media will do that for me. But David James is not a viable alternative. Yeah, he's doing fine for Portsmouth, good for him. But the man chokes in big games and messes up just as badly as Robinson does. Never forgiving him for single-handedly costing us the title with error after error ten years ago!

Positives, well, Richards was good until he took that knock on the knee, Joe Cole and Wright-Phillips were inventive, and I thought Carrick didn't do too badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Croyles
    Honestly, both teams played poor football
    Absolutely.

McClaren out! Now, who can we replace him with? Well, Man City have a 100% record so far, let's see if we can't entice their mana...oh, right.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

WHAT A SHOT by Pander though. After that awful defending against Richards, he redeemed hismelf slightly. I was loving the passing preceeding the shot.

Lahm was pretty good in defensive midfield surprisingly. Turns out he used to play that posi<b></b>tion in the Bayern youth squad. I love him, such a little guy, but he's an extremely good defender. He won 80% of challenges.
    Despite Lehmann making some mistakes he also made one pretty good save and a couple of really good actions.

What are your predictions for the headlines of The Sun?

Im somewhat relieved that a German B/C-team can win against an A-/B England squad in England. There were many first timers in our team.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Denmark 0 - 4 Ireland

Great result. Probably because Staunton wasn't present. What a mess of a man. Trust me England, when it comes to both managers, the feelings are mutual.

Oh & I've said it many times before i'll say it again. Frank Lampard isn't worth a for neither club or country. Its gotta be Becks, Gerrard, Hargreaves, & Joe Cole in midfield. At least, thats what I think!

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    WHAT A SHOT by Pander though.
    It was bloody fantastic.
    What are your predictions for the headlines of The Sun?
    Knowing The S*n, a reference to either 1966 or World War II.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Denmark 0 - 4 Ireland

Great result.
    Yeah, winning 4-0 in Denmark is fantastic. I looked at the team sheet of Denmark and it did not look weak to me. Did you see the match? If so, how did Agger and Finnan do?
    Its gotta be Becks, Gerrard, Hargreaves, & Joe Cole in midfield. At least, thats what I think!
    Yeah. Or shunt Gerrard out on the right and install Carrick in the middle, if Beckham is lacking fitness, like he clearly was tonight.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

For The Sun, I predict something along the lines of "Robbo lotto howlers and lucky Germans" or something along that line.

It would have been a really interesting game if both sides were playing their normal line ups.
    Dont shoot me, but I think Germany would have won by a larger margin in that case. Something like 1 - 3. If on a bad day then something like 2 - 3 or 2 - 2. Hard to say though. Out of all the current teams in Europe, Germany's is probably one of if not the most balanced team. Considering that before 2005, Germany was utterly rubbish, im chuffed. Today they played awefully

I want England to do better and I hope they make it to the Euros. They will have to drastically change a few things though.
    Maybe the Premier League has so much competition that the players dont get along with each other? I dont know, maybe they care more for their clubs than their national team? Its sort of the same situation with Spain, a really strong league, a pretty mediocre national team.

I believe the Sun's headline on the back page was 'What A Load of Robbish' - doubtlessly they save the 1966/WWII references for when the teams meet in the World Cup or Euros

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Yeah, winning 4-0 in Denmark is fantastic. I looked at the team sheet of Denmark and it did not look weak to me. Did you see the match? If so, how did Agger and Finnan do?
    Didn't really see much of Agger to be honest, all I could catch were the highlights as I missed the match because of work. Finnan did his job well, but he's like Richard Dunne in that you know that you have steel in your defence with them. In the first ten minutes that speedy bastard Rommedahl made a run past him and we nearly conceded an early goal. Apart from that the defence was solid. That's why even if we don't score many goals, we usually don't concede much either (apart from that Cyprus shambles of a game) with them there, and Given in goals to boot. The main positives we can bring from the game was the good performance, everyone played as a team.
    Yeah. Or shunt Gerrard out on the right and install Carrick in the middle, if Beckham is lacking fitness, like he clearly was tonight.
    How is Beckham gonna make that whole transatlantic situation work? Its obvious he wants to play for his country, but i'd imagine the general public wouldn't even mind if he missed an odd friendly every now and again. I say keep him for the big games when you really need to call on him. As it is right now he's wearing away his minutes on the pitch by the truckload.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles

2-0 away to Sunderland is a good result, especially when both your centre backs get injured (poor Sami )...and Momo finally scored! The Pennant-Sissoko lovefest that usually reigns supreme in my posts will now continue unabated after that game, as they both played really well, and also mad propz to Torres. Didn't score (Craig Gordon was incredible) but he led the line well and always looked dangerous.

Xabi, though. Ohhhhhh Xabi, Xabi, Xabi. Don't know what's wrong with him, but if he keeps this up, Momo should be preferred until Masch gets over his Copa America hangover.

Those injuries might be a problem for you. Supposedly Carragher's got a broken rib, which could keep him out for a bit. On the other hand, none of your upcoming fixtures look particularly taxing, so you might cope after all.

We really ought to have brought in a centre-back over the summer. With Gallas and Senderos missing, and Djourou on loan at Birmingham, we're back to the old standby of playing Gilberto as a makeshift defender. He's a decent replacment, but a back-up who's natural in the position would be preferable.