Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pirates of the Caribbean

WAY too much Johnny Depp in Worlds End. Everything I loved about the character in the first movie became an irritation in the third. The beginning bored me to near death, but I agree, it picked up in the middle. Did anyone else just want to vomit with Keira Knightley's performance? The highlight of the movie was the ending battle scene and Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa.
    "Why should I do good, when being bad is what I'm good at."

Ye gods, why are people still going to see PoTC?! Has everyone else in the English-speaking world been brainwashed by Disney executives? Do people now prefer to watch this complete codswallop to quality film-making like, say, Zodiac?

The first film was okay, I'll admit that. The plot was pretty standard and Geoffrey Rush was good. The story obviously wasn't written for that somewhat bizarre performance by Johnny Depp, which did make it kind of fun. That said, Orlando Bloom might as well be a wet fish made from wood, although the acting ability of said fish would far exceed his own "talent". Keira Knightley always looks like she ought to be mounted on a horse and discussing wines of the 15th century with other damsels.

But at least the plot was coherent.

The second film was longer and ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. Did no-one else recognise this? It wasn't exactly a subtle point. It might have been highlighted by the numb feeling in your bum (if you were enjoying it) or the entirety of your body (if, like me, you would have rather watched Hulk Hogan's entire back catalogue of films with a spike up your bottom). Johnny Depp was doing the same thing, which was old by the second film. Bloom and Knightley had more screen time - good for lovers of furniture, but bad for everyone else. And it didn't make any sense. A bunch of people looking for a bunch of things that may or may not help them does not constitute a plot. It constitutes a big mess. And it wasn't funny... at all.

I'm not going to see PoTC 3, so I may be wrong. It might be the greatest film ever and resolve the 700 pointless subplots in the second film, but as I have invested absolutely no emotional attachment to any of the characters whatsoever*, I wouldn't care.

* With the possible exception of Orlando Bloom's character. I'd probably go and see all 168 minutes in order to observe, with glee, an excruciating death for a man who is considerably outclassed in the acting stakes by a dead monkey.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

I saw its, and I thought it was much better than the second one and at least as good as the first BUT (SPOILER)WILL AND ELIZABETH GOT MARRIED IN THE MIDDLE OF A PIRATE BATTLE!
    How stupid is that? Elizabeth just annoyed me more and more: she was like a permanently huffy little girl all of the time, all she did was snog people and be righteous. Ug, hate both the character and Keira Knightley. Totally agree with Callisto. I actually liked the plot twist with Tia Dalma, thought it was good. Me and my friend were silently celebrating when (SPOILER)Will died, and it was such a shame when he came back again. Sigh. Oh and I liked the Johnny Depp scene with all the minicrabs.

The fact that they didn't get Chow Yun Fat to do much kick ass kung fu fighting made me sad.

Anyhoo, generally it was good.
    Last edited by scrumpleberry; 05-26-2007 at 01:39 PM.

i saw it last nigth with my girlfriend..but..we made out like, 3 times...we missed some of it..and yea, kinda ruined the movie, but, at least i got to make out, right? lol
    Too big.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Burtsplurt View Post
    * With the possible exception of Orlando Bloom's character. I'd probably go and see all 168 minutes in order to observe, with glee, an excruciating death for a man who is considerably outclassed in the acting stakes by a dead monkey.
    (SPOILER)You won't be disappointed. Even when he is (in some capacity) revived in the end, you can enjoy that he will only be able to be with the woman he loves for one day every ten years. I'd imagine that's even more satisfying that merely a painful death.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

This movie was boring as hell to me. The second one was much better. Seriously, I was going into this movie expecting funny action scenes, what I get is waaaaaaaaay too much dialogue. There were some funny parts obviously, but most of it seemed to be 'try-too-hard comedy bits', as the OP called it. And then some really lengthy and cringe worthy moments that out-smells the cheese from the other movies.
    I just really did not like this movie.
    Last edited by Croyles; 05-27-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post

The fact that they didn't get Chow Yun Fat to do much kick ass kung fu fighting made me sad.
    That would be because Chow Yun Fat doesn't know kung fu. The only martial arts fighting he does is at the guidance of a skilled fighting choreographer and many many retakes when he buggers the sequence up.

He's a unbelieveably good actor, he has a great deal of charisma, and he's in shape and can do a great deal of stunts, but kung fu just aint his gig.

as for the film itself, thumbs up from me. Jack sparrow was great as ever. I liked how he seemed to be back to the conniving and scheming Captain Jack Sparrow that was five steps ahead of everyone else despite coming accross as a clown. In the second he seemed a little too much of a clown and not quite as in control as before. Despite that I liked how Jack is sorta insane, those bits were hilarious and brilliant. Him and Barbosa clashing over control of the Pearl were also great. I would have liked to see the other pirate lords do something useful, and all the double crossing did get tiresome, but It was still a great flick.

as for a fourth, I say hang it up. Go for a TV series centered around how Jack Sparrow first ticked off the east india trading company and came to have that brand on his forearm.
    Last edited by Ishin Ookami; 05-28-2007 at 02:01 PM.

I thought it ended really well. Making a fourth one would be reeeeally stupid. I liked it the most out of all three, mostly because Geoffrey Rush was absolutely spectacular.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, although I do agree that the World's End part did drag a bit and was more than a little odd.

Honestly, I loved the scene where they got married in the middle of a fight while riding a Maelstrom. That was completely, unapologetically over-the-top and I loved it for that. The sheer ludicrous nature of it made it impossible for me not to be entertained.

It was good, I'd say. Toss up between that one and the first one. Generally well-written and thoroughly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishin Ookami View Post

That would be because Chow Yun Fat doesn't know kung fu. The only martial arts fighting he does is at the guidance of a skilled fighting choreographer and many many retakes when he buggers the sequence up.

He's a unbelieveably good actor, he has a great deal of charisma, and he's in shape and can do a great deal of stunts, but kung fu just aint his gig.
    It wasn't really a serious statement, but oh well.

I wasn't into POTC until I play Kingdom Hearts II, then I just rent the second movie (DVD).

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    The ending made me very very sad. And I DON'T think it was a good ending for Will and Elizabeth. It was just so sad. Like, do you guys realize how bitterly tragic it must be to be separated from someone you love for 10 years at a time? I dunno, it seemed such a devastating end (to me) but the movie treated it as if it wasn't really a big deal. That bothered me a bit.
    I completely, 100% totally agree with you. I felt especially bad for Elizabeth. Her father dies, and she sees him on his way to the afterlife. Then Commodore Norrington sacrifices himself so she can escape the Flying Dutchman and she has to watch that. Then she watches Davy Jones stab her husband in the heart, and along with Jack Sparrow, makes helps Will stab the heart of Davy Jones, thus charging him with ferrying the souls of the dead at sea to the afterlife, and is thusly separated from him for the vast majority of her life.

I felt that the movie was crazy unfair to both Elizabeth and Will. They had sacrificed the most, and had remained steadfast throughout the entire series, and this is how they're repaid? Ugh. Screw you, Calypso.

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    my friend and I were thinking about this. That means, assuming they were in their 20s, they see each other for maybe a week of their remaining lives. Pretty much hell. Now, if she finds the fountain of youth and lives forever just like him...
    I also don't get why she couldn't just work on his crew. I mean his dad is on the crew freely.

THE JACKAL
    No, you have to die to work on the Dutchman. You're never free to work on it or leave. 100 years service is required of you.

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I felt that Jonny Depp wasn't nearly as awesome as he was in the first two movies, but I can't quite place my finger on the reason why.
    I thought the same, mainly because he's not as much of an enigma anymore. They took that away by making him insane and then placing him in a situation from which he needed to be rescued.

I thought a lot of the movie was very forced. The concept of (SPOILER)Pirate Lords and the (SPOILER)Pirate King didn't really sit that nicely in the story. The fight scene where (SPOILER)Will and Elizabeth got married, right in the middle of everything, well, come on Disney, wtf?

I liked the movie though. The special effects were totally kickin' rad, and the ending was a feelgood ending, but the story seems to be five or so different ideas fighting for the role of being the main plot. The first was better than the second by a long shot, which was again heaps better than the third.
    Yeah, I thought the getting married in the middle of battle was dumb. I think that was fan-pandering, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishin Ookami View Post

I was sooo happy that Chow Yun Fat was in the film. He's one of my favorite actors ever. I wish they had featured him a bit more.

Overall I liked the movie. The pacing has greatly improved since the first one came out in 2003. It didn't seem like it was nearly three hours. I also liked the fact that they left the characters alone. They were developed enough by the second film, it was time to just let them behave like normal.

I think Will Turner got shafted so hard, even though he's one of the more interesting characters. I think the film still pandered way, way to much to Jack Sparrow. Don't get me wrong, I love Jack Sparrow, but he's not really an interesting person, is he? What'd he do in all these movies? He eventually decided to be a nice guy by choosing to let Will live as opposed to taking immortality for himself. That was unselfish. One unselfish act when faced with a man's death doesn't mean the character has grown. He was the same Jack Sparrow as ever. His motivations are himself and the sea.

I was really impressed that the story did take such a close look at Davy Jones and Tia Dalma/Calypso. Davy Jones quickly became one of my favorite characters in the second movie, so I was happy to know more about him. I was also glad I was right about Tia Dalma. I had her pegged from the get go. xD

And as always, Captain Barbossa = Best Pirate Ever. Geoffry Rush stole the freaking show in this one.

So, aside from Will & Elizabeth getting the shaft, a little too much of Jack Sparrow not doing anything, a little too much of Commodore Norrington getting nixed for no reason, I had a pleasant experience. Hurray Pirates! Way better than ninjas.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    my friend and I were thinking about this. That means, assuming they were in their 20s, they see each other for maybe a week of their remaining lives. Pretty much hell. Now, if she finds the fountain of youth and lives forever just like him...
    I also don't get why she couldn't just work on his crew. I mean his dad is on the crew freely.

THE JACKAL
    No, you have to die to work on the Dutchman. You're never free to work on it or leave. 100 years service is required of you.
    Except as soon as Will took over the Dutchman, he told his dad that he was free, and his dad said he was staying as debt to his son for saving him.

But from what you're saying about dieing to work on it, she'll live her life, see him 7 times in her life, than if their smart, she'll work on the Dutchman after she dies and see him for 100 years...

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I like how she did not show any signs of aging whatsoever in the "secret" ending after the credits (of which it seems none of you have shown any indication of seeing). She probably gets to live forever, too. Contracts are also renegociable by playing a little bit of Liar's Dice. Will and Elizabeth are as good as dead, since he came back in year ten, and she was there with her son, as well. The only thing that could coherently continue is Barbossa/Sparrow and the Fountain of Youth.

Anyways, I enjoyed it, and it made up for the second movie. Lots of twists and turns (at least for a Disney movie), and Johnny Depp is awesome. He could have a movie where he's going insane and it's just him in front of a camera for three hours. It would rake in 100 million opening day. He's just that awesome. Keith Richards was probably 10 million dollars per word.

Now if only the pirates and the fleet had actually fought at the fortress. And an unjustified death for Admiral Norrington, and Tia Dalma got seriously owned by Barbossa. What a shame; not that I'm anti-Barbossa, I'm just pro-Dalma.

"Secret" ending? You what?

Tell usssssssss.