Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pirates of the Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    I like how she did not show any signs of aging whatsoever in the "secret" ending after the credits (of which it seems none of you have shown any indication of seeing). She probably gets to live forever, too. Contracts are also renegociable by playing a little bit of Liar's Dice. Will and Elizabeth are as good as dead, since he came back in year ten, and she was there with her son, as well. The only thing that could coherently continue is Barbossa/Sparrow and the Fountain of Youth.
    I saw the ending, in fact I said I didn't like it. And hence my entire argument about how she should think of a clever way to spend more time with him. The entire thing was about them manipulating things, and now when it really matters neither her or Will can think of anything? Seems kinda dumb

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    "Secret" ending? You what? Tell usssssssss.
    If you stayed after the credits, just like the first two movies, you were treated to a special scene that slightly set up the next movie. Note that these are also viewable on the DVDs; do not press "next scene." Instead, you will have to manually fast forward for these, and if you overshoot, you'll miss and have to restart the movie.

The first one, after the credits, Jack the Monkey goes back and picks up a coin from the chest. This is why Jack the Money is undead in the second movie, and also a possible reason why Isla de la Muerta sank.

The second one, the dog becomes the god of the native people, and is prepared to be eaten. In the second movie, this is possible, because as Jack escapes, the people begin chasing the dog.

The third one, we are treated to an unaged Elizabeth Turner (formerly Miss Swann), and an approximately nine year old son waiting on the coast of the island. There is a one minute delay as they wait for Will to come back, and then, you think he's not coming back (Tia Dalma failed to be there for Davy Jones).

However, the screen flashes green, indicating that one has crossed over from the Locker. The last thing you see is a pan-shot of the Dutchman, the wife, and the son. Essentially, this wraps up the Turner family story, as everyone has returned as promised. We can assume that Will gets to stay until sunset, as he arrived at sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    I saw the ending, in fact I said I didn't like it. And hence my entire argument about how she should think of a clever way to spend more time with him. The entire thing was about them manipulating things, and now when it really matters neither her or Will can think of anything? Seems kinda dumb
    As you said before, she could easily be a part of the Crew, if she so desired. At the end, Will also says that it's not about waiting the ten years, so much as it making the most of the one day. This seems to imply that he does not want her to oblige herself to him, only to keep his heart safe.

Metaphorically, people live on through their offspring, and if this indeed true, then she's already spending time with him raising his son in solitude. However, I wonder how he got all those upper-class clothes.

I prefer this ending, to be honest. He does have an air of destiny about him. Now if only this did not interfere with my extreme distaste of determinism, I would embrace it more wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by Tavrobel; 05-29-2007 at 07:33 PM.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    "Secret" ending? You what? Tell usssssssss.
    If you stayed after the credits, just like the first two movies, you were treated to a special scene that slightly set up the next movie. Note that these are also viewable on the DVDs; do not press "next scene." Instead, you will have to manually fast forward for these, and if you overshoot, you'll miss and have to restart the movie.
    Oh right, thank you. I did wonder about the monkey...

I was disappointed with PoC 3. It just did not have the charm and humour that I have come to expect after watching the other two movies. The movie just seemed to be one action scene after another, with a not great explanation of what was going on. The movie was all right but not great. The only parts that I really enjoyed in the movie was Jacks' insanity. I would give this movie a rating of 6/10.
    Now for some words of wisdom:
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.....hmmm wait just a minute.

Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada."
    - Britney Spears, Pop Singer

Anyone know where I could see the secret ending only? I missed it and don't feel like downloading the whole movie for that one part.

Also, I read that in a deleted scene, it says that (SPOILER)Will is free from his duty to the Dutchman when he returns after those 10 years, because Elizabeth was faithful to him all the time. Davy Jones would have been free too if Calypso had waited for him but she didn't.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually read that in the FAQs on IMDB, but I'm not sure that could be taken as canonical. Maybe DVD commentary in a few months will clear it up for good. I would prefer to think that he got to come back, but I seriously doubt it.

And Elizabeth can't just die and go work on the Dutchman. You have to 1) be a pirate/sailor, 2) die at sea, and 3) contract with Davy Jones/Captain of the Flying Dutchman to work for him for a hundred years at the outset before you die. So it isn't as simple as "Oh, I'm dead, let's go work with hubbie!"

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    I actually read that in the FAQs on IMDB, but I'm not sure that could be taken as canonical. Maybe DVD commentary in a few months will clear it up for good. I would prefer to think that he got to come back, but I seriously doubt it.

And Elizabeth can't just die and go work on the Dutchman. You have to 1) be a pirate/sailor, 2) die at sea, and 3) contract with Davy Jones/Captain of the Flying Dutchman to work for him for a hundred years at the outset before you die. So it isn't as simple as "Oh, I'm dead, let's go work with hubbie!"
    Ah well, firstly, She's the Pirate King, so #1 is all set. #2 can be done quite easily, and #3 can be done quite easily as well.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

1) Pirate King, fulfilled, as the Jackal said

2) She's on a friggin' island, of course it would be easy for her to die at sea

3) I get the feeling that dear William can also make deals, as well. His father worked for him, so the contract could possibly be the same, except with a different purpose.

Assuming she ages and is able to die naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Zante View Post
    Anyone know where I could see the secret ending only? I missed it and don't feel like downloading the whole movie for that one part.
    Try YouTube. The first DVD has been out for several years, and I would expect the same of the second.

I am not sure of how long these will be up, but here they are: also, beware the terrible quality.

I can't find the first, but the DVD has been out for a very long time.
    II: YouTube - Pirates Of The Caribbean Dead Man's Chest After Credits
    III: YouTube - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End end scene
    Last edited by Tavrobel; 05-29-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

I've heard from many reviews that, in my own words, "After a while, you just admit you have no idea what the hell is going on." Even though I haven't seen it yet, I will eventually.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void View Post
    Honestly, I loved the scene where they got married in the middle of a fight while riding a Maelstrom. That was completely, unapologetically over-the-top and I loved it for that. The sheer ludicrous nature of it made it impossible for me not to be entertained.
    I just loved it. So over the top!!!

You are an angel!!! I missed this, thanks!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

1) Pirate King, fulfilled, as the Jackal said

2) She's on a friggin' island, of course it would be easy for her to die at sea

3) I get the feeling that dear William can also make deals, as well. His father worked for him, so the contract could possibly be the same, except with a different purpose.

Assuming she ages and is able to die naturally.
    1) Just because you are a pirate, doesn't mean you're a pirate forever. She gave up her piece of eight, and the Brethern was broken, so she's no longer Pirate King. She looks like she's just hanging out with her kid now, which makes her not a pirate/sea-farer. That isn't explicit by the end scene, no, but it pretty much seems that her life as a pirate is done with.

2) She has to die AT SEA. In a boat, on the ocean. They were very explicit about this, just as they were about the need to be a man/person of the sea. Again, she has a kid, she probably doesn't travel so much anymore.

3) You could be right about that. Now that I think about it, the whole hundred years' contract thing could've just been a way to showcase Davy Jones' cruelty after he cut out his heart. We don't know if that's imposed by the individual captain or by the duty.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I wanted the monkey to die

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    1) Just because you are a pirate, doesn't mean you're a pirate forever. She gave up her piece of eight, and the Brethern was broken, so she's no longer Pirate King. She looks like she's just hanging out with her kid now, which makes her not a pirate/sea-farer. That isn't explicit by the end scene, no, but it pretty much seems that her life as a pirate is done with.

2) She has to die AT SEA. In a boat, on the ocean. They were very explicit about this, just as they were about the need to be a man/person of the sea. Again, she has a kid, she probably doesn't travel so much anymore.

3) You could be right about that. Now that I think about it, the whole hundred years' contract thing could've just been a way to showcase Davy Jones' cruelty after he cut out his heart. We don't know if that's imposed by the individual captain or by the duty.
    1) However, she was at one point a pirate. Davy Jones attacked the British Merchant ship with her dress on it in the second movie. The crew readied the British for Davy Jones until he got there, when he promptly said "no survivors." The people on the ship also performed some pirate duties.

You could chalk it up that he was looking for Turner because of the key, but my interpretation was that the crew would capture any seafaring people.

2) I think you missed my point that on an island, the distance toward deep water is not at all very far. It's not quite like she is on the coast of a continent; just a no name island that does not seem very big.

I'm not disputing that she has to die at sea. I am simply making a point that it would easy for her to do so.

3) True, but he could easily accept contracts. I have a feeling that the contract that Will makes is wholesomely benevolent. It could be like a stepping stone toward death for those who don't feel that they are ready for it, and that time served is just to de-sensitize people.

Plus, I think he would need a crew to rock the ship enough to get it from world to world, unless the Kraken is a reincarnating monster whose purpose was also corrupted, but I highly doubt it.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think dying at sea means more 'lol you're a sailor and get tossed overboard in an accident' than 'lol you swam out too far in a semi-suicide attempt to see your lover' but IANAS so I dunno for sure.

I liked the movie. I'd have to watch dead man's chest again, but I think I like it better than that one. But it's not as good as the first. There were way too many instances of 'hay, let's bring back funny things that were fresh and new as a tribute to the first two!' and then they aren't fresh anymore, because you're like 'dude, you pulled that one already'

I thought the crabs were great. Did you notice (SPOILER)callypso was crabs too?

um, will and elizabeth get a rotten deal, it reminded me too much of the ending to (SPOILER)His Dark Materials

It drug on pretty long though. Stu and one of his friends were like 'hah, I bet this will go on for another twenty minutes!' and then later 'man I was just kidding about the twenty minutes but dude :O' I came out of the movie with no fingernails left.

I thought it was a little girl

imho i liked the movie. It did drag on for a while but i payed attention and i noticed that some things tie in later in the movie. And that ending was evil. Another "pirates 4 iffy" ending. But overall i liked it and i was shocked at all the spoilers.

The chocobo network is undergoing some technical dificulties.