Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone else get a kick out of leveling up in some RPG:s?

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I hate leveling. It is the worst abomination since RPGs.

I dislike having to consciously go out of my way to level up in RPGs, especially when it is required for progression through the story. It's probably the reason why I have went off RPGs in general these days. I used to endure it in the past when I had a lot more free time on my hands, but I cannot afford to spend much time levelling up anymore.

The way I look at it is, level grinding is basically the same in most RPGs. You find an area containing enemies yielding high experience points, keep fighting said enemies using appropriate strategy and repeat ad infinitum until desired level is attained. Almost zero skill or critical thinking is required from the part of the player and yet the process usually takes long time. One can practically do this whilst in a semi-comatose state for hours if necessary as the process is almost passive. I believe that levelling up systems in RPGs should perhaps attempt to be more naturalistic in operation and ensure that the player should not have to "level grind" to finish a game or see all it has to offer. I feel that games should reward skill and progression on the part of the player, not the willingness to number crunch for hours on end. Although perhaps that is a critique of the RPG in general.

If you enjoy levelling, by all means, don't let me dissuade you! However, do you actually enjoy the levelling process, or just the levelling up effect that it produces?
    Casteal is my little sister!

In response to Cless' post, i agree. I like games like Oblivion, because you don't have to just slay monsters continuously to level, just play through and you get your skills from doing things like sneak or alchemy.
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

I prefer levels to go up as a natural concequence of playing. That being said, I don't mind a *little* level grinding, particularly if I'm just one or two levels away from a new skill or substantial stat bonus. If I'm at such a point right before a hard dungeon or boss battle I'll happilly put in the time.

Are you kidding?! Leveling up is so annoying in most rpgs. Ew.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Posting in zombie thread.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Elder Scrolls leveling is fun.

Fuji seems to be having fun playing thread resurrection lately xD

I'm with the people who are okay with leveling happening naturally while enjoying the game. Actually just walking around in circles getting in fight after fight just to progress is counter-productive and annoying gameplay length padding

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It lives! IT LIIIIIIIVESSS!

I love seeing the little numbers get bigger.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

*rolls a natural 20* My shotgun critical hits the zombie and blows its smurfing head off.... HAIL TO THE KING BABY!