Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: this game makes me feel old

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I just beat it; thanks everyone for the tips.
    Man this game was awesome in every respect.
    10/10
    It's good to hear that friend, but would you replay it any time soon? I would give it another one week!
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

I definitely will be replaying it soon, but I agree, a few days off is in order. I only hope my work schedule and other extra-curricular stuff will allow me the time.

I've basically kept the same set-up for most of the game - I'm now tying up loose ends before hitting the Bahamut. In my party I have the following basic set-ups:

Thief/Tank/Party Leader (Vaan, Penelo)
    Heavy Hitter (Basch, Ashe)
    Ranged Fighter (Balthier, Fran)

Vaan and Penelo equip a sword/dagger and shield. Basche and Ashe equip 2H weapons and Balthier and Fran equip ranged weapons. I rotate each pairing so that the character at the lower level runs with the party.

All of the characters have the basic healing and quick-kill Gambits:

Self: <10% MP - Charge
    Ally: Any - Raise
    Ally: <20% HP - Curaga
    Ally: <40% HP - Cura
    Foe: HP = Critical - Attack
    Ally: Any - Esuna

Penelo and Vaan have the following (and are equipped with Thiefs cuffs). They (ideally) attempt at least one steal from each mob, then go for the mob with the lowest HP. They only go for each mob once because the Heavy Hitters should knock each foe off 100% health after the steal:

Foe: HP = 100% - Steal
    Foe: Flying = Flare (or another damage spell or Telekinesis)
    Foe: Lowest HP - Attack

Ashe and Basch will run around and stop the Thief from redundantly stealing, then go for the enemy with the lowest HP. They also make sure that the party has Protect between fights.

Foe: Flying = Flare (or another damage spell or Telekinesis)
    Foe: HP = 100% - Attack
    Ally: Any - Protectga

Balthier and Fran hang back and are usually the ones to bail the party out if they get in a mess. They also keep Libra and Shell up, and haste anyone who gets slowed.

Ally: Slow - Haste
    Ally: Any - Shellga
    Self: Libra

Which leaves plenty of gambit slots for 'situational gambits'. For example, if lots of enemies are using a specific status effect, you can put in a cheaper healing spell above the Esuna gambit. Having Chronos Tear and Cleanse gambits helps where enemies use those status efects.

Using that rough set-up, I finished Ridorana in the high 30s, if I recall correctly.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by -N-
    Should I have concentrated my magickers into one particular magick type or should I have kept them general?
    I kept all of my characters in specific classes, but mostly because I didn't want every character to play exactly the same. It's personal preference and there are benefits to both, but it's up to you. Neither is really better than the other.

Should I even bother with Technicks?
    There aren't that many that are really useful, but you'll want telekinesis, steal and charge for sure.

And how many weapons do you usually specialize in?
    I have each character master two types. Again, I didn't want them all playing the same. Same deal for armour.

Do all characters need to be the same level or can I get away with only using three the entire game?
    I only used three the whole game. At the end the others were so low in level that the best they could do is try to revive everyone else before getting slaughtered if my main party died. Only happened once or twice, but I didn't want to take the time to level six characters for the whole game.

Is a conventional "class restriction" a la FFT better or worse for this game?
    Like I said before, not really better or worse. I prefer classes since it gives some variety to the characters. I hate having jack of all trades characters. It just makes things boring for me. But when you white mage gets killed by a boss and you're scrambling to heal them before someone else gets killed it's pretty exciting. And since I focused on three characters, I didn't get enough license points throughout the game to do any more of the license board than necessary to complete their self imposed class abilities. I think that sort of helped me stick to it. I could have had characters who could do a little of everything, or excel with certain magicks and weapons. I found the latter worked best for me.