Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Newb question from a Major Newb.

Default Major Newb question from a Major Newb.

Hello!
    Final Fantasy XI just came in the mail today, and after installing it and watching the amazing opening video, I was super excited. I have played many other MMORPGs in the past, but the second my character was left on my own... I couldn't move. I couldn't access a menu, or change any options. While most MMORPGs have your typical controls, tutorials, and -menus-, I was surprised when I realized that this did not. After a long, long time of trying to figure out how to even -move-, I couldn't even figure out how to exit the damned thing and had to alt, ctrl, delete to get out.

So please, someone, anyone, save this beautiful game for me. All I want is some option menu where I can increase the graphics settings (it's set extremely low and head-achy atm), and just anything to help this poor, frustrated noob. I know some of these things can be done, but how? I'm getting annoyed looking through the manual and online sites, because none of them even tell me how to exit the damn game, and if it's supposed to be obvious then chalk me up as stupid

Thanks so much guys

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Wow, and I was going to buy it for the computer.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

To open the main menu, I push the minus sign (-) key on the upper right of the number pad.

Although I'm curious to learn how people on laptops with no number pad open it. I wonder if there's a command to open it.

/menu?

It would help if you read the manual, which explains how to access all of the menus and options.

I actually find it easier to control my character and menus in FFXI, than it is in WoW. It feels a lot faster, than reaching for the mouse all the time.

Anyways, for people with laptops, there's an option to set the keyboard to 'compact mode', incase they don't have a numpad (there are some laptops that do have one though). And to actually access the graphical options, there are a few in-game and the main ones outside of the program which deal with bump mapping, resolutions, etc. (and you can even go further with regedits)

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Eye View Post
    To open the main menu, I push the minus sign (-) key on the upper right of the number pad.

Although I'm curious to learn how people on laptops with no number pad open it. I wonder if there's a command to open it.

/menu?
    The hyphen/dash key that follows the one and is two keys before the backspace.

To move it is the keys on the num. pad if you are using the full keyboard. I have to admit it took me a good five to ten minutes with the manual to figure out what the heck I was doing and how to change to the compact layout. Then it took me a few to get comfortable with the controls. Once you do though, it becomes much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    It would help if you read the manual, which explains how to access all of the menus and options.

It would help if the "quick manual" I have actually explained something instead of listing all of the commands with no explanation.
    It would also help if you wouldn't be so rude about it.

I think I just wasn't expecting to be thrown into the game with no direction. I managed to figure it out somewhat, with great help from a friend who taught me the ropes. I did find the manual on the playonline thing, which helped a little bit, but unless you are specifically looking for something it's not a huge help I think- and forget about the one that came with the CD, because it explains nothing, but sends me out to fight ogres before telling me to equip a weapon, etc.

Sorry, I know I come off as very n00bish and dumb, but I was just exasperated about the lack of explanation.. I do like this game now that I'm getting more used to it, I just felt like I had to rant somewhere

Edit: thank you everyone who so helpfully replied I do appreciate it
    Last edited by SoupForInsanity; 05-30-2007 at 10:10 AM.

I wasn't being rude, I was being blunt. You said you had no idea, yet if you did look in the manual, it'll explain it clearly. Seriously, I picked this game up 3-4 years ago and had no troubles what-so-ever in figuring it all out with the help of the manual.

I think PlayOnline even have video tutorials now, that are even more helpful.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    I wasn't being rude, I was being blunt. You said you had no idea, yet if you did look in the manual, it'll explain it clearly. Seriously, I picked this game up 3-4 years ago and had no troubles what-so-ever in figuring it all out with the help of the manual.

I think PlayOnline even have video tutorials now, that are even more helpful.
    And which manual do you have that I don't? The one that came with my game that I bought recently has no information, no explanations, nothing but a list of commands, which if you didn't know how to play the game already, you wouldn't get what they are for, or when to use them. Good for you that you had an all-explaining manual to help you.
    If there are video tutorials, then I guess I must have missed them, because there are no links that I can see. Doing a quick search on google, and I found some on other webpages, but I wouldn't have seen them earlier.
    I don't want to argue with you, but feeling the need to increase your font size and bold it for dramatic effect is a little step past being blunt, hun. No need to be snarky.

So now Im wondering- what manuals -do- you guys have, because mine simply says "quick manual" on the front, with instructions for installation, a billing FAQ, and a quick chart of controls and commands, with no explanations. Is this the same one you guys are mentioning?

Anyways, I am getting the hang of the game now, hope to see some of you on it The Summoner of Leviathan- now that I have gotten some of the things down and have put a few hours playing time in, it is getting much easier like you said I was just pretty much flustered over the dramatic difference (I guess I understand, having been designed for the PS2) of the controls and menus.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't worry about it man.

I played for like two years, and then switched to playing on a different laptop and for the life of me, I could not figure out how to move.

And this isn't that rare of a question. On occassion, I've seen random characters standing still in the middle of town asking out loud, how the heck they were supposed to move their character. It's all just part of that newbie experience.

This game has a pretty steep learning curve. There is a LOT of stuff that you won't know, will never know, unless someone with more experience tells you about it.

I only just recently learned why warp IIs were called D2. Random stuff like this, I'm still learning, even 2+ years into the game.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it's how you learn. There are a lot of helpful people in this game. Try and get into a good linkshell with people who don't mind answering questions, and you'll be fine.

lolol i dont even have the game or have i ever played it or seen someone play it and i know how to move and all that good stuff.if anyone has something they want to find out my theory is research.if you only know the right places to look then youll find it in no time.i ahve the chains of promathia expansion pack though lolol.exploration is the key my friends,playonline helps a bunch.
    (SPOILER)waha made you highlight

Gonna Overdrive your ass! Siegfried's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Don't worry about it man.

I played for like two years, and then switched to playing on a different laptop and for the life of me, I could not figure out how to move.

And this isn't that rare of a question. On occassion, I've seen random characters standing still in the middle of town asking out loud, how the heck they were supposed to move their character. It's all just part of that newbie experience.

This game has a pretty steep learning curve. There is a LOT of stuff that you won't know, will never know, unless someone with more experience tells you about it.

I only just recently learned why warp IIs were called D2. Random stuff like this, I'm still learning, even 2+ years into the game.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it's how you learn. There are a lot of helpful people in this game. Try and get into a good linkshell with people who don't mind answering questions, and you'll be fine.
    Why is it called D2, ive been playing 3 years and I dont know that...
    Beware of my look a like!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dezone 2, which is the name in Japanese. Warp sounds better.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

I was unable to move when I first got the game to, but I was using a laptop without a numpad :P
    Lol the noob days...
    jkhkjg

Thanks again to everyone, I appreciate the support being a n00b
    I just messed with the registry to up the graphics since they were giving me a headache, and sweet holy giraffe everything looks so much better!

For people with laptops (like me) Buy one of these:

Amazon.com: Toshiba PA1390U-1NKP Slim USB Numeric Keypad with 2-Port USB Hub: Electronics

They usually have them at any major department store and it saves alot of frusteration. -_-;
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga