Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone actually play this game on the NES?

I played it on the NES, we got it for Christmas way back in the day when it cost $50 dollars.
    Sigless

Same here. The NES version of this game is the first Final Fantasy I played. It's too bad newer versions don't include maps, bestiary, and a list of all weapons, armor, and spells like the NES version.

Nah. I have only been hooked on the series for 2 years (and have completed X, X-2, XII, III and played all of them ) so I don't really want to bother going on eBay and buying a NES and the game. I own it for PSP and have only retireved the first crystal so far... :rolleyes2

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Quote Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
    Same here. The NES version of this game is the first Final Fantasy I played. It's too bad newer versions don't include maps, bestiary, and a list of all weapons, armor, and spells like the NES version.
    Yeah, I loved that you pratically got a walkthrough with the game.

I owned it for NES but, like most Nintendo game cartridges, it died. I came across another one owned by my neighbor a couple years later and bought it from him only to have it die not long afterwards, too.

I would be one of the many gothic_fantasy alluded to in the original post, having not heard of the Final Fantasy games until after VII had been released. As a result, I have only ever played the enhanced remake of FFI for the PlayStation. I thought the PS1 version was brilliant, and to be honest, have no intention of playing the NES version. However, I've been looking out for a copy of Dawn of Souls.
    And when he gets to Heaven,
    To Saint Peter he will tell:
    One more soldier reporting, sir -
    I've served my time in Hell.

- Sergeant James A. Donahue

I'm playing it right now!
    I use to have it for the NES but it died.

Thanks to Sir Edeon X for the amazing sig!

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Didn't play it on a NES emulator until about 2003 or 4. Was never released here in Britain, plus the game is older than I am. I spent my childhood playing Sonic the Hedgehog! I think I prefer the DoS version because it doesn't irritate me as much as the NES one does at times. Perhaps I'm just a wimp though.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

No I didn't. Back when I had a NES I was just a kid and was very much into games like Mario, Kirby and Battletoads etc. I didn't know that much, if anything, about games back then, and I didn't know that there was a game series called Final Fantasy until 1997 (yep, FF7 everyone). Anyway, I've bought the remake (Final Fantasy Origins) and I'm pretty satisfied with only having played that version.. although it would of course be cool and retro to own the original NES game.

I dont own it for the NES but did play it at a friends once quite a long time ago. But ive got it on PSP now and am happy with that

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Yeah, my first.

Wish I could find my original cart.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I got it for my 7th birthday. I got stuck in the Marsh Cave until I was in grade 6 (kinda forgot about the game in the meantime).

Played? Yes. Beat? No. Or rather, not with the NES cartridge, which was a rental. I beat the NES version on an emulator, many years after its release.

I think the farthest I went with the rental was to the Temple of Fiends, and Garland beat me hard. I was only seven and didn't understand English, so I have a good excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Takara View Post
    I think the farthest I went with the rental was to the Temple of Fiends, and Garland beat me hard. I was only seven and didn't understand English, so I have a good excuse!
    Being 7 and not understanding the language of the game may be a good excuse, but it's still the first I've ever heard of someone losing to Garland.

Absolutely. While I love the NES version, I like the updated versions more because there is no swinging at enemies that aren't there and all the spells work. FF1 is a somewhat difficult game, and it gets much harder when your guys are swinging at thin air...

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

There's a way to fix that. Instead of button mashing, try thinking about whether the monster is going to die and adjust who attacks who by it.