Thread: So what was Jecht's problem?

Banned

Default So what was Jecht's problem?

Possible SPOILERS below!

---

Anyway, I never really understood why Jecht was always picking on his own son.
    What was his problem?
    He constantly goes "you is da suxx, you can't do anything, moron, you're weak" etc.
    And then suddenly Auron comes out and tells Tidus that Jecht loved him, and didn't know how to show it...?
    What was that?

If Jecht loved Tidus, then why the heck was he acting like such a bastard all the time?
    How did his being unable to show his feelings make him bully his own son?

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

Jecht wasn't exactly acting like a bastard, he was just trying to toughen him up and motivate him. However, Tidus believed that was how Jecht really thought of him, which is where his hatred for Jecht comes from.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Firo Volondé View Post
    Jecht wasn't exactly acting like a bastard, he was just trying to toughen him up and motivate him. However, Tidus believed that was how Jecht really thought of him, which is where his hatred for Jecht comes from.
    How do you motivate someone by saying things like "you can't do it!"?

You don't. Thats why Jecht was flawed as a father.

It's because Jecht had a subconscious sexual attraction to Tidus that made him feel a need to say he hated him all the time just like everybody that says they hate Tidus.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Jecht's view of strength was flawed, not his parenting tactic (no less disagreeable, nonetheless). In order to make Tidus successful in his eyes, he had to motivate Tidus, by putting him down, so that Tidus would feel threatened by his inferiority, and aim to surpass his father. This tactic almost works, and Tidus is almost able to surpass his father (if he has not already done so); however, it also has the unfortunate side effect of making Tidus hate Jecht.

Though the best way to help someone occasionally requires that you hurt them (when parents yell at you for coming home late, it's out of love and concern, not hatred, as many people seem to think), Jecht clearly crosses the line into needless pain.

The game also mentions that Jecht was usually drunk, also. In one of his spheres, it mentions that he will quit drinking after attacking the Shoopuf. In another storyline scene, Tidus challenges his father after being scolded. He tells him "stop drinking, then, if you're so great." To this, Jecht responds "why do today what can wait for tomorrow." He's usually too drunk to develop a sensible concern.

Whether or not they have had sex with more women is up to debate. Manly men, they are.

i don't think jecht thought he was doing anything wrong, it was just his own brand of tough love. besides we found out that the reason tidus hated jecht was because whenever jecht was around his mother wouldn't give him any attention at all

Why do you imprison your saviour?

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Some tough macho men think showing love is a sign of weakness. And that being tender to their sons will make their male sons be sissy. Old fashioned thinking.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

... really? I just thought he hated him???

NAh, I got the point early in the game, he was doing what we today call "CoNsTrUcTiVe LeArNiNg" A.K.A TOUGH LOVE

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Jecht's view of strength was flawed, not his parenting tactic (no less disagreeable, nonetheless). In order to make Tidus successful in his eyes, he had to motivate Tidus, by putting him down, so that Tidus would feel threatened by his inferiority, and aim to surpass his father. This tactic almost works, and Tidus is almost able to surpass his father (if he has not already done so); however, it also has the unfortunate side effect of making Tidus hate Jecht.

Though the best way to help someone occasionally requires that you hurt them (when parents yell at you for coming home late, it's out of love and concern, not hatred, as many people seem to think), Jecht clearly crosses the line into needless pain.
    I like this explanation best :P

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    It's because Jecht had a subconscious sexual attraction to Tidus that made him feel a need to say he hated him all the time just like everybody that says they hate Tidus.
    That's pretty gross! Tidus was 7 back then.
    Signature removed for exceeding the 250 pixel height limit.

~Void

Tav explains it pretty well, so I'll go with that.

I also thought about the fact that Tidus' memories of being a kid are a bit cloudy (I know mine are very cloudy when I try to think before the age of 10). A lot of things could of been misinterpreted on Tidus' behalf.

Then again, there's always the fact that some parents are just complete jerks.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Tidus is not real he is a dream of the fayth.... Jecht is not real, he is a dream of the fayth. The fayth dreamed Jecht hated Tidus and so that was that
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Actually no, according to the Ultimania, the fayth dreamed the initial Dream Zanarkand inhabitants 1,000 years ago and those got married and got dream kids who in turn got more dream offspring.... Nowadays DZ is not very controlled by the fayth at all. Witness Jecht getting in contact with Sin by accident.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs: