Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pronounciation of "Beatrix"/Eyepatch Mystery

Default Pronunciation of "Beatrix"/Eyepatch Mystery

There's been a lot of pronounciation topics springing up lately, but I wanted to find out the most common way to say "Beatrix" Here are a few of the pronounciations that I have come up with.

The "trix" I pronounce like "tricks"
    -Beee--aahh-trix (I presonally use this one)
    - Beee--uhh--trix (the two are similar I know)
    -Bayy---aahh-trix
    -Bee---uhh---trice (as in tree, and as in ice)
    -Bayy----uh---trice

...And that's all that I could come up with, with my dialect. With that established...how do YOU pronouce "Beatrix"? Oddly enough, I find it hard to stay with one pronoucation entirely and tend to swap back and forth between say....bee--uhh-trice and bee--aa--trix. Does this happen to anyone else?

It is also unknown why Beatrix wears a white eye patch that covers her left eye (I think). Well I admit its a sexy look coupled with her stunning brown hair...it doesn't really seem to serve a purpose that I know of. It doesn't seem to be the type of cloth that would conceal a gapping eye wound/glass eye or something of that sort. But instead I find it to be more of a style sort of thing. Perhaps her training could be/was heightened with the use of one eye. She might of been more in turn with her surroundings and could easily adapt to environments and opponents around her (as odd as that sounds). Not to mention she could brag about her talent with using only one eye. Regardless, it definately makes her stand out as a character. Who can remember the last Final Fantasy Character who wore an eyepatch? And I definately doubt there are any other females fitting this criteria.

Finally, I'd like for Beatrix to have a cameo/be a playable character in the upcoming PSP Final Fantasy title : Dissida. Does anyone else agree that she would look absolutely stunning if she was remastered (with next-gen graphics and whatnot)?
    Last edited by Zanthos; 06-06-2007 at 04:08 AM.

----------------------Beatrix for Final Fantasy Dissidia----------------------

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

I always say BEE-uh-trix.

I never noticed that she had one eye covered. It's probably there just to look cool.

I agree it would be pretty awesome to play as Beatrix again.

By the way... could you tell me what this "pronounciation" is that you speak of? I've never heard that word. I wouldn't be surprised if it DIDN'T EXIST!

(SPOILER)If you don't understand my insinuation, the word is "pronunciation." I'll type it again: Pronunciation. This type of error miffs me a VERY great deal. I'd appreciate it if you could please take better care with your spelling and grammar.

THE GRAMMAR GESTAPO STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by darksword12; 06-06-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Oh F***.

Hahaha...good one. I actually had to open up Microsoft Word to obtain the correct spelling...pro...nun..ciaaa...tion....yeah. Pronunciation of Pronunciation? Anyways I fixed the topic title.

Actually, I was basing my spelling more on phonetics than anything else. Its similar to the whole poe-tay-toe and poe-tah-toe ordeal. Pro--noun--see--ation or Pro--nun--see--ation. Although the latter is technically correct, people pronouce words different, depending on whatever.

In other news...I just took another glance at Beatrix in my sig (Yes, I am a fan of hers) and if I was in her shoes it seems that I got the placement of her eyepatch wrong. If I entered her shoes and looked straight ahead...the eyepatch would conceal the RIGHT EYE. You know of that eye trick thing where you can't tell which eye of a person if your looking straight at them? Yeah...what I mean is...from our viewpoint it looks like her left eye is covered, but its actually her right eye.

You know I also just thought of another great idea along the lines of Beatrix being handicapped by only having one eye. I think it would be neat if Square-Enix would introduce a character (sword fighter most lieky) that had their right dominant arm cut off or injured...they would had to adapt to fighting with their non-dominant hand...but in time they became very adept with the opposite hand. To be honest, I kinda got this idea from George R.R Martin's "Jaime" but I'm rambling on here...
    Last edited by Zanthos; 06-06-2007 at 04:25 AM.

----------------------Beatrix for Final Fantasy Dissidia----------------------

omg darksword12! He spelled a word wrong! If someone's spelling and grammar are not completely flawless it's unacceptable. Speaking of which:
    Quote Originally Posted by darksword12
    I never noticed that she had one I covered. It's probably there just to look cool.
    Oh no! What is that? Is that an error?! You better fix that. Immediately. Seriously though, don't correct people about trivial things like that. You'll just irritate them.

Anyway. I pronounce Beatrix "Bee-trix". I don't know why Beatrix wears an eye patch. Maybe the more important question is why Zidane has a tail, or why moogles have pom-poms on their heads.

Bee-uh-trix

I agree about Dissidia.

Gaze Upon the Mega Man! JackNapier's Avatar

Her sword handling skills probably used to suck big time. Resulting in her stabbing herself in the eye.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

BEE-a-triks

I don't think they thought about it too much when giving her the eyepatch. I think it was just a hairband that grew too big through the drinking of milk and proteing gainage.

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xurts View Post
    omg darksword12! He spelled a word wrong! If someone's spelling and grammar are not completely flawless it's unacceptable. Speaking of which:
    Quote Originally Posted by darksword12
    I never noticed that she had one I covered. It's probably there just to look cool.
    Oh no! What is that? Is that an error?! You better fix that. Immediately. Seriously though, don't correct people about trivial things like that. You'll just irritate them.

Anyway. I pronounce Beatrix "Bee-trix". I don't know why Beatrix wears an eye patch. Maybe the more important question is why Zidane has a tail, or why moogles have pom-poms on their heads.
    Guess it's a good thing the edit button's there.

Fixed!

A post can always be revised, but if you don't know the rule in the first place, it's even worse.

C'mon C'mon

Beer tricks imo.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I pronounce it Bee-uh-trix.

Pronounce
    Pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos
    Who can remember the last Final Fantasy Character who wore an eyepatch?
    That Pirate from Final Fantasy 1 wears an eyepatch. I think his name starts with a 'B'. And so does RSL.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Bikey?

Bee as in honey bee inn + uhh as in uhhhhh idk + tricks as in tricks are for kids

Bee-Uhh-Tricks

Beatrix... thats how I say it

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

BIKKE!

Yar.

Are they relateds?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Hahaha...good one. I actually had to open up Microsoft Word to obtain the correct spelling...pro...nun..ciaaa...tion....yeah. Pronunciation of Pronunciation? :D Anyways I fixed the topic title.
    That's why we all love Firefox' built-in spellingchecking feature.

I say it like the first example given in the first post.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I pronounce her name like "Beat-tricks". She's wearing an eye patch because she wants to become a ninja pirate.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi