Thread: Is the GBA version worth it?

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

Default Is the GBA version worth it?

I already have the Anthologies version of this game, but I wanted to know if it was worth the extra money of getting the GBA version used to have it portable. Could you give me your opinions?

An unrelated question: When you buy a spell, do you have to buy a copy for every character you want to learn it? I seem to remember it working differently, but I can't be sure.

Special thanks to dark_lord for the sig!

I have both versions I'm currently playing the anthology for the first time right now, you only have to buy the spell once- then if a character can use it - they will -

I prefer the playstation version but the GBA is an excellent match up to it - The music is ever so slightly less good, but sound effects and everything else stays matched up there - so it's all the same old good FFV - So yeah, it's worth it I think!

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

The GBA version pwns the Anthology version, IMHO. NO loading times, great new translation, updated graphics, greatly ported soundtrack and an all new dungeon with some new super bosses and super weapons. It's totally worth it.

However, if you have a DS and you want to buy V, you might want to wait a tad longer. Maybe they'll announce FF V for the DS, remade in 3D like IV. But if you absolutely can't wait, by all means, grab that GBA version. It's the best version of FF V there is (for now).

And about spells, you only need to buy them once and the entire party will be able to use em.

Ok. I probably would have bought both 5 & 6 advance anyway. I'll pick up used copies.

EDIT: Thanks!

EDIT EDIT: Scratch that. I'll just get 5. 6 is one of my least favorites.
    Last edited by darksword12; 06-08-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Forgot to change the "Reason for Editing" field.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    The GBA version pwns the Anthology version, IMHO. NO loading times, great new translation, updated graphics, greatly ported soundtrack and an all new dungeon with some new super bosses and super weapons. It's totally worth it.
    Agreed on everything but the new translation and the soundtrack. Without headphones the sound is terrible (but that is an easy remedy), and although I haven't gotten that far in FFV Advance yet, I prefer the Anthology translation so far.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The GBA version has much more substantial bonus content in comparison to the other two ports, has an improved translation, and doesn't suffer from the esthetic ailments the other two ports had (slowdown, bugs, crappy sound, etc). It is the definitive version of FFV.

Aren't all the difficulties for the GBA ports dumbed down?

I mean I think it should be easier for portable maybe but yeah - Isn't that a difference?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
    Aren't all the difficulties for the GBA ports dumbed down?

I mean I think it should be easier for portable maybe but yeah - Isn't that a difference?
    V Advance has the same difficulty V always had.

Well that's nice to hear

I would hate it if they wasted their time on remaking V, by giving new graphics and spanking it up. What's the point? There are more important projects to attend to.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    I would hate it if they wasted their time on remaking V, by giving new graphics and spanking it up. What's the point? There are more important projects to attend to.
    Quiet you

After the IV remake, I better be seeing some screenshots of 3D Faris in her full crossdressing glory...

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Agreed on everything but the new translation and the soundtrack. Without headphones the sound is terrible (but that is an easy remedy), and although I haven't gotten that far in FFV Advance yet, I prefer the Anthology translation so far.
    The soundtrack is not nearly as off as the GBA version of VI and I feel it was pretty good. The translation is definetly better as it really begins to define the characters personalities way better. Besides Faris no longer does stereotype pirate talk... that alone makes this version way better.

As for the extra content... I haven't tried the optional dungeons yet but I did find the new job classes to be rather disappointing. They arrive so late in the game that they aren't really worth using, and though I haven't unlocked Necromancer yet... I get the feeling it's a class I would have loved to use in the actual dungeon I acquire it making it utterly useless but then again I could be wrong

Don't get me wrong though, I would prefer V to be remade before the seventh Final Fantasy installment, because it's too much favoritism to be focusing all attention on VII, while others need to be more recognized by the gaming generation today.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

I just bought it yesterday, and it's AWESOME. Love the translation!