3 13.04%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATB vs. Turn-based battle

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    If an enemy keeps attacking you (more than once) while you are thinking what will be the best strategy and your party is almost ko'd before you have finaly decided...someone (especially someone new to this kind of play) will start to keep pressing the attack button or overlevel his/hers characters in order to win the hardest enemies.
    On the contrary turn based battle,i think encourages the player more to think and to form strategies in order to beat his enemies.

Anyway,both systems have their cons and pros...
    I've yet to see an FF game that didn't let you pause or switch to wait mode, both of which give you time to think. Honestly though, if you're familiar with the battle system, it won't take that long to come up with a strategy. I think it encourages learning it inside and out while also forcing you to think fast on your feet and be responsive to change. Turn based really doesn't involve you planning any more carefully in my opinion since you're still left to respond to the unexpected; you're simply forced to do it slowly. The only real exception is FFX where there is actually a strategic benefit to the turn based nature of the battles.

Quote Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
    I prefer taking the time to plan my moves, locate where everything is, rather then having a mad rush of enemies are attacking me, i can't find what i want, the bam, i'm dead.
    It's called "Wait". Or try slowing down the ATB timer, it's under "Config" in most of the games with ATB.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

ATB for me. It makes the flow of the battle faster and more strategic.