Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Computer Concepts

Default Advanced Computer Concepts

I am simply wondering what everyone's opinion and views are on their favorite computer setup, and quite possibly their advanced concepts toward setting up a good, solid rig. I am just kinda poking around looking for some more advanced concepts and other fun things to play with.

Well, right now, I am planning on installing an XP base, load that up with all my video games, and then run a VMware** server running my Slackware in the back drop ><, another VM of XPpro in the background with my with my sensitive and secured windows apps in it, and possibly another partition dedicated to learning about different Linux Apps.

I want all this on one computer just to be cool, and well, I plan on devoting the other computers to my game design and so on. I am just looking for tools and other fun little programs that I can use to effectively make my everyday programming, book keeping, interweb browsing, game playing life all the easier. Also, just looking for people to badass their computer set ups and opinionated IT standpoints.

**VMware is just a system that lets you emulate other operating systems on your computer at once. Available at VMware: Virtualization, Virtual Machine & Virtual Server Consolidation - VMware (totally worth it)

I wouldn't ever bother with WINE or VMWare. Too much processing, often glitchy, and is not as easy as dual booting operating systems. Dual Boots for the win.

Although, I don't mind having to restart to use a different operating system and I have to admit this is really, really cool.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

I've never really been a fan of VMWare. It's a great idea, but it just has too much overhead for my not-so-powerful machine. I ran XP Pro under VMWare in Gentoo for a while and it was quite usable for the most part, but I just got annoyed with the occasional stutter and longer than normal loading times for things. I prefer dual-booting (actually I'm quad-booting. ).

Now if they release <a href="http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/">VMWare Fusion</a> for Linux anytime soon I'm on that pretty quickly.

I don't really like RAID much, because it seems like a waste of disk space but if I had a lot of data that I had to keep I woud probably use a hardware array.

Currently my setup is this:<table border="0"><tr><td>
    Main PC:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    2GB RAM
    GeForce 6600GT 256MB VRAM
    Seagate 300GB HDD
    Asus A8N-SLI deluxe mobo
    </td><td>
    Other PC:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2GB RAM
    GeForce 7600GS 256MB VRAM
    Seagate 300GB HDD
    Asus A8N-SLI deluxe mobo
    </td><td>
    Laptop:
    Acer Aspire 3500
    1.5Ghz Intel Celeron
    512MB RAM
    80GB HDD
    64MB integrated shared VRAM (yuck)
    </td></tr>
    </table>
    My main PC quad-boots Gentoo, Arch, XP Pro and Vista, and runs my webserver for the rest of my network.
    Other PC runs XP.
    Laptop dual-boots Arch and XP Pro.
    I also use my phone on wifi and stuff; it runs WM5 and I hacked Familiar Linux onto a bootable miniSD card for it.

For programming, I like to use Anjuta (GTK C IDE) for Linux or Visual Studio 2005 for Windows. All of my media is on Linux. I run XFCE4 with Beryl 0.2.1. Most of the time WINE is good for my Windows needs (it runs Oblivion, so that's good enough for me ).

Ciddieless since 2004

VMWare is okay, but you really can't run resource-consuming programs on it efficently. Usually I use it for testing, and running Windows 3.11 when the notion hits me

If you're going to run Linux, then perhaps you should set it up on a seperate partition or disk. You really would get the most out of it, as opposed to VMWare.

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    I don't really like RAID much, because it seems like a waste of disk space but if I had a lot of data that I had to keep I woud probably use a hardware array.
    When I was trying to install Linux on my computer (on a non-RAID hard drive) GRUB got painfully confused with my RAID. Install could see the partitions, but the bootloader woudn't install. When I did get it working Linux suddenly wouldn't recognise the partitions on my RAID - ergo, all my files were inaccessible. Bye bye Linux...

RAID and GRUB/Linux don't like each other. At all.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Quote Originally Posted by ZeZipster View Post
    I wouldn't ever bother with WINE or VMWare. Too much processing, often glitchy, and is not as easy as dual booting operating systems. Dual Boots for the win.
    Yeah, I am looking to have my server and game design running on one machine, asynchronously. So yeah, it would look like virtualization for me. We have been doing a lot of work with VMware on production class servers at work, and we hardly experience a miss in the beat.

Realistically, we have virtualized and saved ourselves about half the amount of computers on our racks, and there has been no real performance hits (that I am aware of) thus far.

That is just amazing!

I ran XP Pro under VMWare in Gentoo for a while and it was quite usable for the most part, but I just got annoyed with the occasional stutter and longer than normal loading times for things. I prefer dual-booting (actually I'm quad-booting. ).
    Interesting, and thanks for the tip. I just need windows to have the direct hardware access - though I never admit to being any good with WINE (I did get it to play WoW though) I didn't really think it a feasible alternative.

I am most certainly in the same boat as you with RAID, I am not a huge fan of it, lest it is mirrored. Seen to many a RAID die due to write errors in parody to ever think twice about any serious speed raiding. I know I am in a minority on that though (at the local cooperate level)

For programming, I like to use Anjuta (GTK C IDE) for Linux or Visual Studio 2005 for Windows. All of my media is on Linux. I run XFCE4 with Beryl 0.2.1. Most of the time WINE is good for my Windows needs (it runs Oblivion, so that's good enough for me ).
    I will certainly look into Anjuta. I think you had mentioned it once on this site, and I looked into it a little then, but then got pulled away. I am looking at dropping KDE and going with XFCE / Beryl, as it is what my roomate ( a bettar linux man than I ) runs. He is quite fond of it.

VMWare is okay, but you really can't run resource-consuming programs on it efficently. Usually I use it for testing, and running Windows 3.11 when the notion hits me
    Yeah, the slackware I am running in the VM is just a minimalist server with a few of my tools. I really don't think I need much. I am also a bit lost as to where all these bad experiences come with. I love the thing.

stuff about GRUB
    LiLo!

Ciddieless since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by bipper View Post
    LiLo!
    Don't.

Just... don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Odaisé Gaelach View Post
    LiLo!
    Don't.

Just... don't...
    I do it outta love.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

XFCE4, while not as lightweight as flux or blackbox, it still pretty light and it doesn't come with all of the crap that KDE does. I'd rather have flux as my WM, but since it's a WM and so is Beryl, that's a no go. XFCE is the closest I can get.
    I like Qt better than GTK, but it's a small tradeoff given the themes available. Thunar is quite a nice file manager - better and lighter than Konqueror so if you don't need the extra features it's a shoe-in.

I guess you could say Anjuta is "just another IDE", but I've found it has everything I need, when and where I need it, which I can't say for some others like Eclipse.

Quote Originally Posted by Odaisé Gaelach
    When I was trying to install Linux on my computer (on a non-RAID hard drive) GRUB got painfully confused with my RAID. Install could see the partitions, but the bootloader woudn't install. When I did get it working Linux suddenly wouldn't recognise the partitions on my RAID - ergo, all my files were inaccessible. Bye bye Linux...
    Ah I forgot about that thread. If I recall correctly, SuSe Enterprise had working hardware RAID support, right?
    I guess I'd settle for software RAID, since all it will cost is a few extra CPU cycles.

P.S. That video has inspired me to set up VMWare again and try to make it work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    P.S. That video has inspired me to set up VMWare again and try to make it work nicely.
    Let us know how that goes for ya

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I've got VMWare running fairly nicely now. It was a bit of a mission to get it going now.

Firstly, I don't want to register it because (as of yet) I still don't like it enough to pay money, and Workstation requires that I pay money. That left me with the option of using Player, which I installed from Portage. I had to make a virtual machine to run with Player, but you need Workstation and therefore to pay for that. There are a few online VM generators, but I never had a lot of success with those.

So to make the VM, I decided to install QEMU, an open source emulator with the capability of making one. The problem is that QEMU won't compile under gcc4 because of changes to the compiler from gcc3. So I installed gcc-3.4.6, and switched to the proper profile and gave QEMU a try with portage again. Portage didn't seem to like that the kernel was compiled with a different compiler to the current one, so I tried the binary on the website. The binary had trouble loading some of the libraries that I didn't have installed.

Then I tried the source from the website, and after a few attempts at finding the right ./configure I managed to get it compiled and installed and working. I used QEMU to generate an xp.vmx and install XP, and was quite able to boot into XP running the VM with Player.

It's a bit faster that it was last time I tried it, and a lot more stable too. That was probably caused by a combination of using 64 bit Linux and me not really knowing what I was doing. I've got bridged networking, sound and graphics hardware acceleration working too. Still a bit much overhead for my liking, but I think I can deal.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I preferred VirtualPC when I was playing around with virtualization, but I'm not sure if that piece of software has been updated in a while.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I am just getting done setting mine up thus far. I installed slackware on VMware server (was free, I just had to sign up for key) I installed an image from scratch instead of importing one in (I have always had better luck this way)

It was fairly effortless so far. The overall graphical side of my VM runs like a turd. I just got slack 11 with base XFCE on board. No matter, I am using it as a strict server anyways, and have a handful of services running on it. My computer is a 2.4 ghz, 6 year old machine with 1 gig of 333 DDR. It wants to slay me right now I can play the MUD with out chop, and that is basically a sign of what I need it for. So success there.

It is slightly funny, cause running the linux install with windows atop, spawned less headaches. The chop was hardly noticeable.

With your set-up, O_o, did you have any pointers on lowering the chop through the VMware. Outside of upping my ram of course? Just curious, as like I said, when slack was the base, and windows was emulated, it went smooth cakes. Now it has a good chop with windows being the base, and linux being emulated. I haven't had much time to play, but I am not sure where to point the finger at, at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I preferred VirtualPC when I was playing around with virtualization, but I'm not sure if that piece of software has been updated in a while.
    Yeah, I have heard nothing but good from it too, but I do not think you can emulate linux through it. At a recent NOREX meet up (an IT summit of sorts) we all discussed how the virtualizations were going, and VMware was used by everyone in the room but two companies (out of about 20 or so that were using virtualization). Though, the two that were using it were completely happy with it's performance.

Ciddieless since 2004

Yeah, I have heard nothing but good from it too, but I do not think you can emulate linux through it.
    I'd be stunned if you couldn't.

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Odaisé Gaelach View Post
    Yeah, I have heard nothing but good from it too, but I do not think you can emulate linux through it.
    I'd be stunned if you couldn't.

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
    What Works and What Doesn't in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004
    I think this is out dated. I havn't even tried 2007 yet. Either way, the past option of running linux is a M$ environment has sundered this option. I may try it later, to give it a GOE, but I would rather see if anyone else had any decent luck running slackware or at least Arch on it first. There is also the fact that I DO NOT support Microsoft's business model in any way shape or form; but if it is the best option, it is the best option - yaknow.?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

It is slightly funny, cause running the linux install with windows atop, spawned less headaches. The chop was hardly noticeable.

With your set-up, O_o, did you have any pointers on lowering the chop through the VMware. Outside of upping my ram of course? Just curious, as like I said, when slack was the base, and windows was emulated, it went smooth cakes. Now it has a good chop with windows being the base, and linux being emulated. I haven't had much time to play, but I am not sure where to point the finger at, at the moment.
    I'm running a Windows guest on a Gentoo host, so I don't know if it'll be relevant but the biggest performance increase came from the SVGA driver that comes with VMWare Tools. Coupled with 512 MB of RAM for the VM and DirectX support I'm able to play Morrowind without too many glitches.