View Poll Results: Which graphic portion do you pay the most attention to?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Box art

3 6.67%
  • Complimentary art

3 6.67%
  • Disc/Cartridge cover

1 2.22%
  • In game graphics and FMVs

25 55.56%
  • I pay attention to them all equally

4 8.89%
  • I don't really care about any of them i just wanna play the game

9 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For the Love of Graphics

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Default For the Love of Graphics

Videogames can be adored for their awesome artwork, whether its the box art, complimentary art, or in game graphics, any of us can just sit back and aodre it. The question is here what game has your favorite in each of these categories and also which one do you seem to pay attention to the most?

Box Art:

Disc or cartridge cover:

book art, complimentary art:

In game graphics:

For me It goes
    FFXII Collector's edition and Dragon Quest VIII these are obviously magnificent, but I just can't decide between the two. FFXII's case is so cold and hard

FFX-2 I love that pose with Yuna holding her pitols

The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask It just has some amazing shadowing and texture to me

and Okami for it's unique Japanese brushwork, no other game looks so good even a next-gen.

Yellow Winged Angel

as long as i know what i'm supposed to be looking at (since the days of NES) i'm happy. if the game is fun, it can look like stick people to me, i don't care. that's not to say that i don't appreciate graphics, they're just not my priority when i play games.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Graphics equals fail. If I wanted to not use my imagination and have other people think for me, I would start wrapping my Christmas presents with shiny paper, and give people air in a box. More packaging does not mean better.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

I think graphics are important.

I know this may seem superficial, but if a thing is aesthetically pleasing, I tend to like it more - books, clothes, games, even animals, yes, even people.

Of course I know that looks aren't the most important think in the world, and because someone is cute it doesn't mean they aren't a serial killer, but the way something looks is an important part of what it is. Actually, charisma in the way you come across to other people is probably more important than what you actually look like, but I'm staring to ramble now, so I'll shut up.

Like music, graphics are important, even if they don't make a good game.

Edit: I also like looking at character artses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Graphics equals fail. If I wanted to not use my imagination and have other people think for me, I would start wrapping my Christmas presents with shiny paper, and give people air in a box. More packaging does not mean better.
    How are graphics supposed to equal fail. As far as I know the games are put more effort in their graphics engine to be better than a lot of those that don't for example plenty of licensed games. Example of games that do well with hi quality level of graphics, FF games, DQVIII, RE4, Gears of War, Halo 3 certainly will do well along with GTAIV, and Resistance Fall of Man. it seems to me that when developers put forth more into the graphics of a game, most ultimately the rest of the game will be quite as good also.

Yellow Winged Angel

Graphics are a very important aspect in game development,as is everything else in a game.A good game is a well ballanced one.
    So yes,i like my games looking good (but what looks good is totally subjective...)
    Out of those art categories you mention,in-game art is the most important to me.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Schovitz View Post
    How are graphics supposed to equal fail.
    Graphics should never be used as the selling point of games. Just because you can animate something doesn't always mean that the game is good. It's like wrapping a present in a big box and with shiny wrapping paper. Okay, so there's Carbon Monoxide in the box and not anything else, but the wrapper looks so cool! Smart call, Einstein.

As far as I know the games are put more effort in their graphics engine to be better than a lot of those that don't for example plenty of licensed games.
    That's only as far as you know.

Example of games that do well with hi quality level of graphics, FF
    Now I know I can't listen to you. I, II, IIIj, IV, V, VI. You could throw in FFVII in there, simply because it was revolutionary, but walking blocks of pixelated, uncoordinated, chicken nuggets is not my idea of good graphics. You could technically throw out FFVI, because compared to the SNES times, it was what one could consider ahead of the others. The older generation is overall better than the newer generation.

... Gears of War, Halo 3, GTAIV, and Resistance: Fall of Man.
    First person shooters don't count. It's all they've got. I appreciate the blood splattering, but it doesn't add anything to the game.

it seems to me that when developers put forth more into the graphics of a game, most ultimately the rest of the game will be quite as good also.
    Not always true. There are a number of good games that don't have high quality graphics (Eg: Starcraft), and a number of poor games where the emphasis on graphics is held to be of high accord (Eg: FFXII). The effort and time to generate an image is entirely different from the effort needed to create a working game that has entertainment value.

I would've guessed that you would have caught on by now that graphics don't make the game. It's nice to see "LOL YOUR HEAD GOES BOOM" in a dramatic and bright fashion, but if that's all the game is, what's the point? Makes it no different from an interactive movie. The more a person can get involved in a game, the better. God forbid that I might want to use my own imagination for something. Because, Ohh Em Ef Gee, that would be a crime, because thinking for yourself is a crime.

For me, gaming is likedating. I want to be with someone good looking, also a good personality, which is = to Good graphics and gameplay quality.
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

How are graphics supposed to equal fail.
    Graphics should never be used as the selling point of games. Just because you can animate something doesn't always mean that the game is good. It's like wrapping a present in a big box and with shiny wrapping paper. Okay, so there's Carbon Monoxide in the box and not anything else, but the wrapper looks so cool! Smart call, Einstein.

As far as I know the games are put more effort in their graphics engine to be better than a lot of those that don't for example plenty of licensed games.
    That's only as far as you know.

Example of games that do well with hi quality level of graphics, FF
    Now I know I can't listen to you. I, II, IIIj, IV, V, VI. You could throw in FFVII in there, simply because it was revolutionary, but walking blocks of pixelated, uncoordinated, chicken nuggets is not my idea of good graphics. You could technically throw out FFVI, because compared to the SNES times, it was what one could consider ahead of the others. The older generation is overall better than the newer generation.

... Gears of War, Halo 3, GTAIV, and Resistance: Fall of Man.
    First person shooters don't count. It's all they've got. I appreciate the blood splattering, but it doesn't add anything to the game.

it seems to me that when developers put forth more into the graphics of a game, most ultimately the rest of the game will be quite as good also.
    Not always true. There are a number of good games that don't have high quality graphics (Eg: Starcraft), and a number of poor games where the emphasis on graphics is held to be of high accord (Eg: FFXII). The effort and time to generate an image is entirely different from the effort needed to create a working game that has entertainment value.

I would've guessed that you would have caught on by now that graphics don't make the game. It's nice to see "LOL YOUR HEAD GOES BOOM" in a dramatic and bright fashion, but if that's all the game is, what's the point? Makes it no different from an interactive movie. The more a person can get involved in a game, the better. God forbid that I might want to use my own imagination for something. Because, Ohh Em Ef Gee, that would be a crime, because thinking for yourself is a crime.
    Did I say that graphics make the game? No,but they implement and further engage the experience and at the time FFFVII did have some good graphics. I was showing examples of how the ones that put more effort in graphics are good if I said it was true of those that dopn't have good graphics I would've made examples. You're saying that if a game has good graphics it makes it bad, which is complete nonsense.

Yellow Winged Angel

That's a hugely stupid, blanket opinion. If you really care that much about using you animation, then playing any video game of any kind is "having other people think for [you]". Also, horrible obnoxious internet grammar.

Games with amazing artwork can create a stunning visual experience, with amazing games like Shadow of the Colossus and Odin Sphere in which would not work nearly as well without the amazing art supporting it.

Shadow of the Colossus in particular. The game was designed by an illustrator and as a result it's pretty much an illustration in video game form, and all the better for it.

To say that something that looks nice is "having other people think for [you]", is to over hundreds of years of artistic achievment.

EDIT: Word filter, doy.
    Word/s.

I like games with good graphics, but I could play a game with bad graphics too, like with lego characters in FF7, but I think there are many who love graphics more than the game itself so they want remakes...not that all the remakes are bad and there are good games with good graphics too!!!
    EDIT: ...and I don't care about box arts, covers...I download my games anyway!:bgl:

I don't care if the graphics are the best of it's generation, or technology better.
    I just want the developers do something original and unique (Killer7 or Okami for example) I'm tired of the same old graphics.

Unless the graphics make the game difficult to play, than I really don't give a damn.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

I totally play games based on their box art because it's not like I'm gonna play the game I'm just gonna stare at the box.

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

I like something pretty to look at, take FF10 for example when i first bought that i thought it was the most beautiful piece of software i'd ever laid eyes on. For a while this engaged me to a point, when a year later i saw through the beauty and saw what a soulless crappy game it was. My point is that graphics tug you in and engage you whilst gameplay keeps you engaged forever. Afterall FF10-2 is also a prime example of prettyness/sex appeal and game play soul crushing.