9 10.23%
  • loved all of them

7 7.95%
  • Don't Know

7 7.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most hated Final Fantasy Villian

I think Sephiroth deserves a lot more appreciation, and a lot less hate. He was a great villain who will always be teh bEsT.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Banned

I say Necron from FF9; where the HELL did he come from?

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Seymour was a clever one, normally they made the villains "cool" but Seymour, it was actually possible to dislike him, which is good of square enix.

So Seymour gets my vote. Sephiroth, Kefka, Vayne and Ka'mlanaut where all coool...

AND WHY DONT PEOPLE EVER PUT THE FFXI PARTS IN?!?!?!?! *angry*
    jkhkjg

For me, the FF villains are a mixed bag. You've got Kefka, Sephiroth, X-Death, Kuja, and Seymour who all interact with the characters through the course of the game, and Chaos, Zeromus, Dark Cloud, and Ultimecia whom you only get to confront at the end of the game. And then there's the Emperor who gets whacked by two swipes from a Blood Sword and sucks despite having "created" a (potentially?) interesting setting.

I generally prefer the type of villains that would fit in the former group, though that doesn't mean I necessarily like or dislike individuals from either group (I dislike Kuja for example, and like Ultimecia).

The worst for me is Dark Cloud. And I would group Necron along with her. Both are sort of embodiments of existential concepts rather than having true personal motivations. Both are just sort of *there* at the end and you have to beat them--Dark Cloud was hinted I suppose as the power that "controls" Zande (who himself is a woefully underdeveloped villain), and stopping the merger/takeover with the Dark World was the point of the game, but the actually character/entity *Dark Cloud* had zero development storywise. I like my final bosses to be someone I hate, or love to hate. Just being *there* before the final movie/credits is not good enough for me.

Mind you, I haven't played the DS remake of FFIII, just the "original."

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The worst for me is Dark Cloud. And I would group Necron along with her. Both are sort of embodiments of existential concepts rather than having true personal motivations. Both are just sort of *there* at the end and you have to beat them--Dark Cloud was hinted I suppose as the power that "controls" Zande (who himself is a woefully underdeveloped villain), and stopping the merger/takeover with the Dark World was the point of the game, but the actually character/entity *Dark Cloud* had zero development storywise. I like my final bosses to be someone I hate, or love to hate. Just being *there* before the final movie/credits is not good enough for me.

Mind you, I haven't played the DS remake of FFIII, just the "original."
    It was not just 'hinted', Cloud of Darkness WAS the force that controlled Zande and tried to erase everything with the Void. Hey, Golbez and Zemus had to get it from somewhere...

And Zande was, in my eyes, the first developped FF villain. At least he had a motive and a bit of backgroundstory, compared to Garland and Emperor. Or even Golbez. >_>

Playing the DS remake is not a bad idea, since the better translation and new way of how the events are portrayed do help the story quite a bit, at least in my eyes.

Oh well... I'm probably the only one who has Cloud of Darkness, NeoExDeath and Necron as my favourite villains...

As for my most hated villain... probably Emperor because of his Final Battle (almost imossible without bloodsword and a joke with it, please...) or Sephiroth, because with everybody screaming how awesome he is, he was an incredible disappointment and the average insane FF villain at best.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I found Kefka and Kuja the least impressive out of all the FF villains I've encountered. They're certainly similar in verbosity and flamboyance, which makes them interesting characters. However, their hatred - their reasons for wanting to destroy all creation - are so flimsy and arbitrary that they just aren't as compelling as other villains. I prefer it when the antagonist is driven by some powerful cause, because it makes them more convincing and more frightening - insofar as a make-believe nemesis can be convincing and frightening. Sephiroth, Vayne and Zemus (among others) are all motivated by profound and world-shaking causes, whereas Kefka and Kuja basically just say, "well, I've got all this power and life isn't really meaningful, so I might as well destroy everything."

I'm not saying they totally fail as characters. Kefka provides great commentary on the pointlessness of futile struggle and useless power, while Kuja's got a lot to say about mortality and finding meaning in life. But as villains, their desire for destruction is just so aimless and shallow compared to some of their counterparts. They have fairly common anxieties, which are turned into universally destructive potential when the plot imbues them with god-like power. The other villains aren't that simple...

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    For me, the FF villains are a mixed bag. You've got Kefka, Sephiroth, X-Death, Kuja, and Seymour who all interact with the characters through the course of the game, and Chaos, Zeromus, Dark Cloud, and Ultimecia whom you only get to confront at the end of the game. And then there's the Emperor who gets whacked by two swipes from a Blood Sword and sucks despite having "created" a (potentially?) interesting setting.

I generally prefer the type of villains that would fit in the former group, though that doesn't mean I necessarily like or dislike individuals from either group (I dislike Kuja for example, and like Ultimecia).
    Ultimecia fit in the former group actually. She interact with the characters through the course of the game. You just don't know is her, because she is inside the body of other person(Edea).

I guess Ultimecia really. I never thought she was a particularly good villain and the reason she wanted compress time was never really explained enough for me. She wasn't particularly menacing in her slutty dead wings outfit. They could have developed further backstory.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu
    Ultimecia. She had absolutely no backstory like most villains did and she was only there because the game needed a villain. We found out that she's a sorceress trying to compress time; so what?
    Agreed. It's bad enough that she's totally uninteresting, but the lack of a consistant villian throughout the rest of the game makes it even harder to stomach her appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar
    Chaos, because he IS the least explained out of the ones up there.
    Looking at him in the context of when the game came out though, I find it easy to forgive how shallow he and the other villians in that game are. Shallow, nonsensical plots and characters were common at the time, and videogame storytelling still had a long way to go. The existence of characters so lacking in depth in a game like FFVIII is pretty unforgiveable though.

Seymour. What a ty name for a villian. What a ty villian.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I’ve clocked FFIV thousands of times, and I still have no smurfing idea who Zeromus is.

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Puppet View Post
    I’ve clocked FFIV thousands of times, and I still have no smurfing idea who Zeromus is.
    That guy who just randomly appears at the end?
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Seymour is both my favorite and least favorite at the same time.

Favorite because of his depth. He wasn't a 2D baddie who just wanted to destroy the world for hell of it, or become God to rule the universe. Unlike most of the villains who knew well that they were committing acts of evil, Seymour actually believed what he was doing was right. He had a savior complex. "I'm going to destroy Spira so that no one will ever have to suffer again."

Least favorite because he was a pedophile. And most of all the Seymour Flux form!
    Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2712300/1/

Big Brother's Xenogears novelization

My least favourite bad guy would have to be Seymour. I'm pretty sure I hated- or at least intensely disliked- that guy. I suppose that makes him a well-developed enemy, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Dark Cloud. Evil in a bag. Lame. Uninspired. Only uses one attack.

I'm surprised Ultimecia is only third though :P