Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate the game, in comparison to FFVI. Really.

The last time I got them both as ROMs, I beat VI and fell asleep on my desk playing V, so I guess that means VI > V for me. :rock:

Or maybe it's cos you'd just played through VI in one sitting

Either way. V is one of my favs. Play it, then play it again.

My first playthrough was in Japanese - I loved it so much I played it in English again.
    FFs completed: IV,V,VI,VII,VIII,XII
    Currently playing: III

Articles
    Blog Entries

Comparing it to VI, I would say the main difference is that V is more adventure-based whereas VI is driven by its story.

I wouldn't say the characters are any more shallow than VI's. If you consider having 1-2 sidequests character development (as in VI) then the characters are developed here.

Story-wise VI has it beat, although V takes a different approach, it's all fantasy.

Gameplay-wise I wouldn't compare them, V stands over VI with a somewhat flexible job system.

Music is great in this game, definately rivaling VI, i think this is where Uematsu started getting really good, Clash on the Big Bridge, Reminiscence, songs like those'll stay with you.

Personally I rate this game higher than VI, as I lean more towards the adventure-based FF's, but if you're just looking for a really good SNES RPG this may be for you.

Blog Entries

= Better =Worse

Story:
    V: VI:
    Characters:
    V: VI: (Means the same)
    Plot:
    Enemies:
    Uniqeness:
    Overall:

But FFV is still a great game.

I love both games pretty equally. When I get bored with the endless text in FFVI, it's fun to switch over to V and mix and match jobs and skills. Then, after playing Job Class God for a while, it's fun to switch back to the awesome plotliness on VI. The games actually compliment each other pretty decently.

I love both but I love FFV just that little bit more. I had such a great time playing that game *cue flashback*
    Definatly worth your time

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I'm actually one of the few people who prefer FFV to FFVI. My opinion is somewhat biased, though, since I think FFV is greatly underrated while FFVI is overrated (IMHO). So how does Final Fantasy V do in comparison to FFVI? In terms of storyline, FFVI is better. However, FFV's story is by no means bad. The game actually has a pretty good storyline, and I noticed on my 2nd time through the game how detailed the storyline actually is, and it also has some depth.

FFVI also has more characters and character development, though this doesn't mean FFV's characters are bad. I still managed to grow attached to FFV's characters, and the side characters (Cid, Mid, King Tycoon, Zeza, Kelga etc) are all enjoyable. Gilgamesh is probably my favorite side villain in the FF series (and his theme song is great!). (SPOILER)Exdeath is quite a cliched villain with lines such as "Fools! Fwahahaha!", but at least you can consider him a villain that you can hate. I could never take Kefka seriously. "Wop wop wop wop wop wop wop." Stoopid clown.

FFV's music is great. It isn't as amazing as FFVI's, but it's very beautiful, and the songs work very well in the scenes where they are played. "Nostalgia" (the theme for death scenes) is a really heartbreaking song. But I saved the best for last: IMHO, FFV has the most addictive gameplay and one of the best battle systems in the series, if not the best. The Job/Ability system is just so much fun, and it's great to combine different classes and abilities and create a party of your choice. I think the battle system was something where FFVI failed to impress me, but I thought FFV's was really awesome.

As for other things, FFV has the most advanced "Light Warriors trying to save the crystals" story. This game is also the last FF for a while to take place in a medieval fantasy world (FFVI-VIII worlds had more technology, and we had to wait until FFIX to see a medieval fantasy world again). It's definitely an old-school FF. If you're playing the GBA version, it supposedly has a great script with loads of funny moments, not to mention there's a bonus dungeon and some new classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Compared to VI? I'd rate V higher. A LOT higher. The story is great and underrated. Yes, you can't play with many characters. Like that's a problem. Character development may not be that great, but is that needed when each of the playable characters has a strong character of itself straight from the beginning? Is character develoment really needed when every character in this game is just himself? The story has touching scenes, epic scenes just like the rest of the series. Very underrated, I find it.

But the gameplay of V is great of course, and it has briliant (and underrated) music as well.

Well... For me V will always remain the best of the first 6 FF games. It has the best "Lightwarriors chosen by the Crystals" story, the best death-scene in the entire series, great gameplay and great music as well. How could one possibly not like such a game, that combines everything that makes FF great?
    Thank you. This actually sums up my point pretty well.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

FFVI is by far my favourite, and always will be. But yeah, V is a pretty fun game. I like the characters, none of them are annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD View Post
    (SPOILER)Exdeath is quite a cliched villain with lines such as "Fools! Fwahahaha!", but at least you can consider him a villain that you can hate. I could never take Kefka seriously. "Wop wop wop wop wop wop wop." Stoopid clown.
    i nearly CHOKED i laughed so hard

wopwopwopwopwopwop

FFV has a superior battle system than FFIV and VI, IMO. It's like VI, only faster. So instead of waiting for that blasted bar to fill up forever, it happens and it's done. No second bar to fill up like FFIV either, so it's boom, boom, done. Then there's the job system, of course.

Also, despite what people say, FFV does have some really good characters. Granted, FFVI may have some great character development (which is one thing I love about the game), but FFV doesn't need it. As mentioned before, the characters already have personalities, so there is nothing to develop. Besides... in the whole game you never go over four members in your party (because of the job system), so they get plenty of attention, unlike certain characters in FFVI.

Quote Originally Posted by One Winged God View Post
    = Better =Worse

Story:
    Characters:
    V: VI: (Means the same)
    Plot:
    Enemies:
    Uniqeness:
    Overall:

But FFV is still a great game.
    I feel the same way

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

It's the lesser of the SNES Final Fantasy's, but more for it's comparison to Four than to Six. Four was well ahead of it's time and Five felt like a small step back.

The Job System however, is always win.

ffv =best sidekick for last boss(gilgamesh) best song(clash on the big bridge best battle system(job system) besdt doomsday villain(ne exdeath /enuo)
    <a href="http://ff-fan.com"

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFV I enjoyed more. FFVI has a better story, but story really isn't that important to me in games. It's a nice bonus, though.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It's much harder to compare the two games than you'd think. I've generally been under the impression that people quite substantially preferred VI to V, but I've never been quite able to make my mind up, though I tended to lean towards V.

In terms of story and character development, I'm going to go with the consensus and say that VI is a pretty obvious winner. That's not to say that V's plot was particularly bad just it doesn't stand out as much and isn't as good as that of VI. The characters in VI don't all get a bucketload of development, but those that do (Locke, Celes, etc) really make the game more interesting. The music in both are rather excellent. I don't think I could pick between the two in terms of music, actually. They've both some really excellent pieces such as Clash on the Big Bridge from V and Dancing Mad from VI.

Hard to pick, but I'd say V just edges it for me because, as has been said, it's more fun to play. Love the class system.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Final Fantasy V is a fantastic game, but it just can't hold a candle to Final Fantasy VI in any way.

Not many games can.