Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Download Speed

I have the best ISP and the most expensive ISP available.*shrug* Even more so, it is intentional as it's is a selectable option in the router config. I can turn it of, if I like, but as I said before, this can very well be the reason for the author's disconnects.

Sorry, i don't understand a lot of what has been said. I use a DSL modem, and i don't know what all this ISP stuff means.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just live with it then, it's easier You're only paying for <b>up to</b> 8mbps, and not 8mbps
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Quote Originally Posted by Necron View Post
    Sorry, i don't understand a lot of what has been said. I use a DSL modem, and i don't know what all this ISP stuff means.
    As I said, get a download manager. This one is the best I've seen in ages.

Free Download Manager - absolutely free download accelerator and manager

I don't know how to optimise my settings. There's the automatic optimiser thing, but i don't know my connection type. I have a speedtouch DSL modem. Called speedtouch 330 (well that's what it says on the back). What connection type do i choose?

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

I don't know how to optimise my settings. There's the automatic optimiser thing, but i don't know my connection type. I have a speedtouch DSL modem. Called speedtouch 330 (well that's what it says on the back). What connection type do i choose?
    The Speedtouch is a DSL modem, so your connection type is ADSL, DSL or xDSL. Other types could be T3 fibre optics or cable, for example.

What do you mean what connection type? You just need to install the program and download your stuff with it.

Well, on the optimisation master, there's 256K DSL/Cable, 300K DSL/Cable, or 512K DSL/Cable, and i dunno which one am mean't to choose.

Oh, and my downloads seem to be getting slower every day. Now, downloads are only about 25 to 40kbps! I have no clue as to what is happening. I also forgot to mention that i have changed from AOL (1mb broadband) to Pipex (7mb broadband). I am not happy with Pipex at all (presuming it is down to them, as i had no trouble at all with AOL).

The speed was as it should be when i first connected to Pipex the day i got it, and from then, it has just gotten slower and slower.

Either you're mistaken or they've got a very cool marketing policy.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Sounds like traffic shaping to me. I suggest you get on the phone to them and ask why they're kneecapping your connection.

Also, the optimization setting you should choose is "512K DSL/Cable". Your connection is theoretically 7Mbps so regardless of whether or not the first post was in kilobytes or kilobits you're over 512kbps.