Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The worst Anime cliches.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Oh look he's running! Oh no wait those are just the pencil lines running past him!

So, how about the illogical size of anime women's breasts? Some are large enough to have their own gravity. 4srly noj/k guyz.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 06-17-2007 at 10:49 PM.

This might have been said before (I didn't read all of this), but they are not cliches. They're conventions. Now, we have those everywhere. Worst example is the Stormtrooper effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in Rambo.

I can't really give any conventions for the anime genre as the whole. You obviously can't compare things like DBZ with Chobits or Elfen Lied. The only thing that sticks out are the huge eyes and very strong romance between the protagonists. But let's be fair, would we watch them if they resembled real life?

I liked this one though.

Schoolgirls who can destroy fully armed military batallions/tanks/helicopters

They never seem to realize that by doing this they can make an enemy pass out with one blow and kill them while they're down.

Quote Originally Posted by Værn View Post
    They never seem to realize that by doing this they can make an enemy pass out with one blow and kill them while they're down.
    Well that's the pussy way to do it. How can the animators drag that out for an entire saga?
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
    @Discord
    Seeing as how Cliche is defined as "A trite or overused expression or idea" most conventions could be cliches. Though most of which has been listed are definately conventions. I just wanted to point out that that doesn't exclude them from being cliches as well. Though they do likely fit more perfectly as a convention... but both are accurate enough.

Anyways, I think I'll just make a list of those mentioned thus far.

• Hammerspace
    • Face Vault
    • Nosebleed
    • Overdeveloped Females......
    • Flashbacks
    • Sweat Drops
    • Power fluctuations(does that even count?)
    • Talking way too much during what is supposed to be a fight
    • Distances are expanded during dramatic scenes

</span>

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

"Go die in a hole."- Kat

I definitely think it's hilarious when one (usually captured and female) member thinks and tells the other characters to rescue him/her. This is mostly funny because it's not like the characters have telepathic abilities and their thoughts can be heard by their friends, so crying out to them to save you isn't going to do anything.

Case in point:

"Inuyasha! It's a trap! You have to recognize it!" -Kagome (thinking) (from "Inuyasha")
    "Ichigo! Please hurry and rescue me!"- Rukia (thinking) (from "Bleach")

You don't really realize that their thoughts can't be heard by other characters, but it gets annoying after this character gets captured so many times and yells at the characters to save him/her through his/her futile thoughts.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Complete and random fluctuations in power. Best example is DBZ - Vegeta can blow up a planet using a move he doesn't have to charge up when he has a power level of what was it, 6000? Something like that at least (Less than NINE THOUSAND for sure).

Skip ahead a long ways, and you've got people with power levels in the billions, who charge up moves for five minutes/thirteen episodes, and don't even blow up an island.
    Too true! Or like in Bleach when Ichigo beats Kenpachi (who is continously said to the strongest captain of the death gods) but then he has to be saved from the fight again Byakuya, who is supposed to be like 2nd or 3rd strongest...
    [nitpick]Kenpachi isn't the strongest captain, that's reserved for Yamamoto Genryusei Shigekuni (Or Aizen Sousuke). Kenpachi is mid-level at best, because he doesn't have bankai. He's just a monster in combat.[/nitpick]

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post

So, how about the illogical size of anime women's breasts? Some are large enough to have their own gravity. 4srly noj/k guyz.
    Dear god I thought I'd seen the last of that series after we finished it in anime club. Why must you torment me so!?

*ahem*

Having been a fan of various anime series for quite some time, I've come to derive amusement from a great many cliches, especially when the series does something amusing with them.

Sweatdrops, chibi and falling, for example, are used fairly often. They're just the style, something you eventually come to accept about anime in general. Learning to chuckle at it helps you enjoy the series as a whole, especially since such things are so minor they really shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

As far as the cliche I see (and can get annoyed by most often), it's definitely the shounen male hero with the "I must become stronger!" complex. After hearing someone repeat that phrase several times, it begins to become somewhat tedious.

No matter how many times they are smashed into the ground by hammers/cars/*insert object of choice here*, they are fine within seconds.

Like Hayate no Gotoku! ('cept he's just invincible. Srsly)

EDIT:

2. The main character has something special about him, be it his inability to die, or some other random superpower.

3. Hmm, who should I marry, my childhood friend or that super hot chick that just transferred in?

4. Ohnoes, I'm losing! Time to learn a brand new SUPER AWESOME 1337 H4XX0R SKILL!!1!ONE!21!
    Last edited by StarlightAngel; 06-21-2007 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Most every anime villain/hero it seems
    "Now I will show you my true power!"
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rase View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Most every anime villain/hero it seems
    "Now I will show you my true power!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The other guy
    "HA! I was only testing you! Now I will show you my true power!"
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void View Post
    [nitpick]Kenpachi isn't the strongest captain, that's reserved for Yamamoto Genryusei Shigekuni (Or Aizen Sousuke). Kenpachi is mid-level at best, because he doesn't have bankai. He's just a monster in combat.[/nitpick]
    Yeah but thats exactly my point. He ISNT the strongest even though it was said at least twice in the anime that he IS the strongest. Yamamoto aside of course.
    Last edited by Croyles; 06-21-2007 at 01:04 PM.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

You people seem to be stuck in the rut of Shounen shows--shows made for the entertainment of young boys. The cliche concepts (chibi modes, sweat drops, falling people, winning-through-determination-and-last-minute-BS) are easy and effective for young folks to grasp. Older people like us would get tired of it, because it is in fact juvenile.

This is how I view Shounen shows. I know they're made for people 1/2 my age, so I don't let silly things and predictability get in the way of my enjoyment. I kind of roll back my critical thinking to that of a pre-adolescent.

Comedy shows don't count. They may be Shounen shows at the same time, but you can do anything in a comedy and it doesn't have to adhere to any kinds of rules. Like indestructible ninja butlers.

You folks need to watch some shows that are more on your intellectual level (and are generally just damn good). Watch Eureka 7, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, or RahXephon. After you see them (and their general lack of cliche) you'll have different standards. You people that think anime is stupid should at least watch Gankutsuou.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

None of us ever said we thought anime was stupid, we're just expressing our amusement of some of the cliches, and SOME of them get tiresome after a while. Doesnt mean that we dont like it though.

I found another one. Blaming a loved ones death on yourself through the most illogical ways ever, like 'If only I hadnt hammerspaced him all these years!'

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    There is a certain cliche involving every anime, and that cliche is that they are terrible.
    There's at least one post like that in just about every anime thread that comes up. My comment was directed at people who don't like anime because they think all anime is bad.