Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The worst Anime cliches.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The worst Anime cliches.

What are the worst anime cliches?
    Ive got a whole list of my personal favourite:

Opponents trash talk a billion times more than they actually fight.

Someone dies, then comes up a couple of seconds later after some flashbacks, twice as strong. He cuts the other guy down. He has some flashbacks, comes back twice as strong. One or both of them may make a speech about how their childhood was so difficult, coming to a conclusion of why they cannot lose, or something like that, subsequently unleashing an enormous attack (they have to say them out loud in order to warn their opponent and also to looks retarted) with flashes and buildings crashing down and the like.

This is something my little cousin once surprisingly asked me "Those guys were like 10 feet away from each other, how come he's still running at him? He's been running at him for like 2 episodes!" Telling him that anime pwns gravity wasnt enough for him, I think.

The creators were probably told this by the publishers: Use the same animation over and over again and have close ups of faces only, to save money. This will also insure that you dont actually see ANYTHING from the battle, because that would suck now wouldnt it. Then if they actually come to any combat at some point, make it last like 10 seconds and then go back to trash talking!

Anime is sooooooo funny isnt it? They all have comedy! It usually involves normal characters suddenly having cutsie faces, background blurred out while someone gets punched in the face for saying something perverted, leading to an extreme nose bleed and a fist, angrily being shaken back. Meanwhile some spectators are leaking big sweat drops.

So what are your personal favourite (or most irritating) anime cliches?

The romance is always VERY cliche, and you know what I mean...

Eye beams.
    Kudos to starseeker for the sig \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    What are the worst anime cliches?
    Ive got a whole list of my personal favourite:

Opponents trash talk a billion times more than they actually fight.

Someone dies, then comes up a couple of seconds later after some flashbacks, twice as strong. He cuts the other guy down. He has some flashbacks, comes back twice as strong. One or both of them may make a speech about how their childhood was so difficult, coming to a conclusion of why they cannot lose, or something like that, subsequently unleashing an enormous attack (they have to say them out loud in order to warn their opponent and also to looks retarted) with flashes and buildings crashing down and the like.

This is something my little cousin once surprisingly asked me "Those guys were like 10 feet away from each other, how come he's still running at him? He's been running at him for like 2 episodes!" Telling him that anime pwns gravity wasnt enough for him, I think.

The creators were probably told this by the publishers: Use the same animation over and over again and have close ups of faces only, to save money. This will also insure that you dont actually see ANYTHING from the battle, because that would suck now wouldnt it. Then if they actually come to any combat at some point, make it last like 10 seconds and then go back to trash talking!

Anime is sooooooo funny isnt it? They all have comedy! It usually involves normal characters suddenly having cutsie faces, background blurred out while someone gets punched in the face for saying something perverted, leading to an extreme nose bleed and a fist, angrily being shaken back. Meanwhile some spectators are leaking big sweat drops.

So what are your personal favourite (or most irritating) anime cliches?
    sounds more like you watched DBZ and thought it was the only anime.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexicon View Post
    Ive watched many more, so theres no need for that typical "someone who has no clue of anime has just insulted it" type of conversation, please.
    This is for talking about all the cliches you find funny or irritating in anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexicon View Post
    Ive watched many more, so theres no need for that typical "someone who has no clue of anime has just insulted it" type of conversation, please.
    This is for talking about all the cliches you find funny or irritating in anime.
    that's not what it was.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

You just edited your whole post...

This thread is a failure already. :rolleyes2 Thats a record for me I think!
    :sweatdrop

don' be sad dude!

here

i also think that the multitude of weird hair colours is funny, and somewhat annoying...sure it helps you differentiate the characters...but should it really be that hard?

the japanese V for Victory that looks like a peace sign and doesn't make sense unless you find out what it means to them....

uhmm...japanese food in the anime that makes people who watch it think japanese food is far superior to our own

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
    I never really thought of the sweat drops as cliches. However, I certainly don't mind it at all.

Lets see... the face drop is interesting and doesn't both most of the time. But it can easily be over used.

I don't see too much of the opponent trash talking rather than actually fighting. I think DBZ is one the few that I have seen that actually does that.

Slayers was fun to watch at least partially how it did the cliches.
    </span>

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Blog Entries

Huge hair
    Being 7ft tall is commonplace
    Normal coloured hair is against the rules
    Protagonist's family must be dead
    Protagonist always wants revenge because his family is dead
    Protagonist is always a guy
    With stupid hair
    Guns aren't allowed, swords only
    Must feature a character who doesn't talk, and when he does it has deep meaning
    Flashbacks are essential, preferably 2-3 per episode
    A friend must be featured for comic relief
    Comic relief is usually not very comic
    TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN
    Only one set of clothes please
    Battle scenes must have short parts where they stare at each other and an unseen wind blows at their unpractical clothes and hair
    The bad guy is like some sort of God, but goes down easily when his weak point is discovered
    It must end on a cliffhanger
    Preferably the whole series is a flashback

there was a picture here

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

What he said.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

If everyone was a special snowflake then we wouldn't know when to appreciate something creatively spectacular.

-shrug- I don't mind cliche happenings in anime.
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I everyone falls over for no real reason.

(Actually - I love it when they do that, but I mentioned it because it puts the "over" in "Overdone")

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Complete and random fluctuations in power. Best example is DBZ - Vegeta can blow up a planet using a move he doesn't have to charge up when he has a power level of what was it, 6000? Something like that at least (Less than NINE THOUSAND for sure).

Skip ahead a long ways, and you've got people with power levels in the billions, who charge up moves for five minutes/thirteen episodes, and don't even blow up an island.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Complete and random fluctuations in power. Best example is DBZ - Vegeta can blow up a planet using a move he doesn't have to charge up when he has a power level of what was it, 6000? Something like that at least (Less than NINE THOUSAND for sure).

Skip ahead a long ways, and you've got people with power levels in the billions, who charge up moves for five minutes/thirteen episodes, and don't even blow up an island.
    Too true! Or like in Bleach when Ichigo beats Kenpachi (who is continously said to the strongest captain of the death gods) but then he has to be saved from the fight again Byakuya, who is supposed to be like 2nd or 3rd strongest...