Thread: Why doesn't Tidus' feelings towards his father develop?

Banned

Default Why doesn't Tidus' feelings towards his father develop?

(SPOILER)Tidus obviously despises his father during the game, simply because he thought Jecht treated him in a very bad way.
    However, I actually think Tidus should grow some understanding for his father during the plot.
    At one point in the game, Auron explains to Tidus that Jecht did love him and didn't know how to express it, and Tidus thanks Auron for telling him.
    He also sees this Sphere recording where Jecht tells Tidus how he believes in him, and there's also the scene when he asks Auron to look after his son.
    In spite of this, Tidus keeps hating him, and I actually think he should develop some kind of understanding after all those events.

I understand that these things are hard to get over, but still...

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

He does. Sometime during Operation Mi'ihen (after Sinspawn Gui), there is a cutscene from Tidus' point of view. It explains that he tried to swim out after Sin during the encounter, and at that moment he is determined to help his father; it is more highly developed later on. Whether or not he had this drive the entire game is for discussion. When you are beached on Bikanel, Tidus begins to show an aura of gratitude for Sin keeping him alive, and then at Zanaraknd, it is as though he has made a solemn, unspoken promise to help Jecht. During the final encounter itself, he proposes a challenge, asking Jecht to give it his all; one of the Talk commands is "I won't lose," and after seventeen years of Jecht's parenting, that's quite the challenge to his Alpha-male-ness.

Also, consider that your father tormented you for seventeen years, without a reason of which you can obseve. I'm fairly sure that you would not drop your feelings for him in a matter of months. He does technically love his father, but he also hates him. The two emotions are not opposites, and may easily co-exist.

Seventeen years versus... a month? Yeah, I would give him some more slack, since this is what would be reflected in real life.
    Last edited by Tavrobel; 06-17-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    He does. Sometime during Operation Mi'ihen (after Sinspawn Gui), there is a cutscene from Tidus' point of view. It explains that he tried to swim out after Sin during the encounter, and at that moment he is determined to help his father; it is more highly developed later on. Whether or not he had this drive the entire game is for discussion. When you are beached on Bikanel, Tidus begins to show an aura of gratitude for Sin keeping him alive, and then at Zanaraknd, it is as though he has made a solemn, unspoken promise to help Jecht. During the final encounter itself, he proposes a challenge, asking Jecht to give it his all; one of the Talk commands is "I won't lose," and after seventeen years of Jecht's parenting, that's quite the challenge to his Alpha-male-ness.

Also, consider that your father tormented you for seventeen years, without a reason of which you can obseve. I'm fairly sure that you would not drop your feelings for him in a matter of months. He does technically love his father, but he also hates him. The two emotions are not opposites, and may easily co-exist.

Seventeen years versus... a month? Yeah, I would give him some more slack, since this is what would be reflected in real life.
    QFT

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Wow Tav, are you trying to lose your most evil Ciddie contest ? That post was actually nice!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Evil isn't just aboutalways being mean. Sometimes being nice is just what you need to be even more evil.

Plus, everyone already voted. I predict Xmas will win.

i thought he did change his feelings at the end? after all he tried to stop jecht falling into the sea of fire and into his death and in the final FMV he greats jecht with a smile and gives him a high 5! yes he does say "i hate you!" at the end but i think he just needed to get it off his chest

Why do you imprison your saviour?

Jecht parented Tidus for 17 yrs? Last I knew he disappeared when Tidus was a kid

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Actions in motion will stay in motion until an opposite equal reaction is met.

Tidus lost his father at a young age (about 7 years old). So he never really had the chance to discuss his feelings in a more mature way. His father for the most part was emotionally abusive and his mother was distant. She passed away shortly after his father, and from Tidus' perspective held a deeper grudge against his father for her death.

Ten years later these feelings have had time to fester, and would not have healed any knowing your father is responsible for the deaths of thousands.

His journey, however, makes him examine his anger and his hatred towards his father. This is important. At the beginning of the game he resents his father in a very childish way. By Bikanel he begins to pity his father. When they finally face Sin, his last out burst of "I hate you," was almost half affectionate.

Yeah, the way he says, "I'm coming for you, dad!" before attacking Sin could also be affectionate, as well as a challenge.

Remember also (I think it was) the scene under Macalania Lake, when he talks to Jecht about his desire to go home (but he can't because he's Sin). Then it sounds like he is trying to comfort his father in some way.

(SPOILER)He must also, by the end of the game, understand the reasons his father became Sin, and that he was trying to do what he thought was best at the time.

I think in the end if he does not completely forgive him he at least understands what he was about (through looking at the spheres and so on).

Not to mention the fact that he cried freely at Jecht's death, completely aware that he would be tormented about it, goes to show that he did have some affectionate/mutual feelings for his father.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

He says "I hate you" because he loves his father :kaobeg2:

Tidus' feelings developed a little differently when he went on the Farplane than you might expect.
    Signature removed for exceeding the 250 pixel height limit.

~Void

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So that he wouldn't feel bad murdering his old man at the end.

I always ensure Tidus gives Jecht a few 99999 damage for proper closure.