Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NFL Fantasy Football 2007

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I dunno about Palmer, but Rudi definitely and Chad will go by mid-second.

But yeah, your point stands. All those players will be gone round 4 or 5, and the Bears will have one person go by then.

Articles

In my opinion, Palmer is second only to Peyton Manning among fantasy football QBs. If Manning can be considered a top-10 pick, I'd consider taking Palmer in the second round, preferably with a late 2nd pick if I had it.

But it doesn't really matter, I've already pegged my breakout fantasy quarterback this year. I was right about Palmer in 2005 and Philip Rivers in 2006 and I've got a good feeling about my hunch again.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    In my opinion, Palmer is second only to Peyton Manning among fantasy football QBs. If Manning can be considered a top-10 pick, I'd consider taking Palmer in the second round, preferably with a late 2nd pick if I had it.

But it doesn't really matter, I've already pegged my breakout fantasy quarterback this year. I was right about Palmer in 2005 and Philip Rivers in 2006 and I've got a good feeling about my hunch again.
    I have a feeling McNabb will bounce back, but don't worry I'm not going for him.

Also I completely agree with you in the first part.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

When it comes to quarterbacks I don't really have a clue, so I'll probably be the one taking Palmer if I get the right pick for it. Or just take Alex Smith before Fresno does.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'm thinking Vick'll be a good choice this year.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Articles

What, no Eli Manning this year, Del?

I'd be really really weary about taking any QB other than Manning before establishing two solid runners or one elite WR.

There's just so many QB's who will give solid enough numbers. Though since there's so many of us in the league I guess it might change the outlook somewhat.

I'll probably be a homer and take a risk starting Cutler or something.
    What I've been listening to:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm starting to think that RB are too overvalued. Proto won last year and I can't ever remember any of his RB. Willy Parker was one of them I think. Also, despite no championship, Romeo was clearly the top team almost all season long and he played two RB from the same team, one of which he picked up mid season.

I've done well in the past starting guys like Moe Williams and TJ Duckett at RB. Of course, that year I won I had Edge and Tiki Barber, and you can't really argue that they made that season for me, but last year I went with RB in the first and second and didn't make the playoffs (though that may have been because I just plain suck).

Eli is still a Manning and I wouldn't mind having him as my backup QB.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Also, despite no championship, Romeo was clearly the top team almost all season long and he played two RB from the same team, one of which he picked up mid season.
    And both of those RBs usually did better than my RB1.

Jones-Drew and Taylor was a pretty damn good pair of RBs for the second half of the season. While going RB/RB in the first two rounds might be overvalued, I don't know if you can say RBs themselves are overvalued, especially with spuuky's team as evidence. My team struggled last year, and my RBs were definitely the main reason, as I had the best QBs in the league (though I could've played matchups better) and a good group of WRs. Hopefully I will get a higher pick than 9 this year and maybe finally get an elite RB1. (now watch me take Manning with the 4th pick and screw myself over)

With the popularity of RB tandems in the NFL right now, having two RB's from the same team isn't as much of a stretch.

I'd be fine having Bush/McAllister or Peterson/Taylor on my team.

Articles

I'd say it depends more on where you end up in the draft order. If you can get one of the top 3-5 elite running backs you obviously should go for it. There are players that will be drafted in the top ten that will score more points than a lot of running backs though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Not saying that teams don't have two roster-worthy RBs, but having both on your team could lead to severe inconsistencies.

When I say RBs are overvalued I mean I see all the time fantasy 'experts' advising you to pick two RB in the first two rounds, or RB-WR-RB. Obviously 10 of the first 12 picks should be RB, or something similar to that. RB is the most important position in football, but it is not as hard a position to fill as the season progresses. Why take a risky player like Dillon (which I did) over a more stable WR? There will be another Jones-drew this year, and if you have the need at the position you are more likely to sniff him out. This year I'm going to try for stability in my players rather than the flashy risk-for-reward guys.

If I have a middle of the pack pick, I know I'll be hard pressed between my second running back and an elite WR.

If you have a lower pick, you'd be pretty good picking two backs. Especially picking at the turn. Those back to back picks would be a really good time to make a secure backfield.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Depends on who's available. If 13 running backs are picked and it's my turn, why the hell would I pick the 14th best player at a position over the dynamic duo of Manning/Harrison? Though I fully expect Manning to go at pick 7 or 8. Toss another WR in there and say 11 RBs were taken. I could take the 12th and 13th best player at one position, or get a RB and a top 3 player at another position. I'm not saying don't pick a RB in the first two rounds, you are a fool not to, but to completely lock down a position that early in the draft limits your options not only in the draft, but as the season progresses. Let's say you see a breakout performance by a RB in week 1, or you notice a key injury to a top RB on a run heavy team in week 7. You could pick up that player and use him as a backup/trade bait, but football trades are hard to lock down. Rather than focus on one position early on, I think you would be wiser to spread out your talent to allow for mid season adjustments.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Why take a risky player like Dillon (which I did) over a more stable WR?
    I agree with that. I basically did the same, taking Carnell Williams with my 11th pick after 9 RBs had gone. In hindsight I could've gone WR-RB or even WR-WR and been better off.