Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't you think Yuna should be considered the "main character" in this game?

Banned

Default Don't you think Yuna should be considered the "main character" in this game?

I always hear that Tidus is the main character, but I actually think Yuna is.
    Everything revolves around her, she's got her guardians, she's got the important task, she's constantly in the "limelight" whenever something happens.
    And so on.

i don't think there is one definitive main character, as the role jumps between the characters at different points in the plot. tidus and yuna's seems plots seem to be continuous throughout the game so i can understand why you think yuna might be the main character, but i'm still gonna give it to tidus as he is the one telling the story.

Why do you imprison your saviour?

Hmmmm, Good theard

I think tidus and yuna were the main characters, Tidus was one of the main character for obvious reasons (ex: YOU PLAY AS HIM DUH!)

Yuna is a mian character as well because Tidus and her and little love for each other. Also she has the most in common with Tidus like Ject was her dads gaurdion and Ject is Tidus' dad.

~Very Warm Regards...
    Hell_Razer
    Signature removed for exceeding the 250 pixel height limit.

~Void

I think Tidus is and should be considered the main character in the game but Yuna's character is so well-written and so well-developed that i can really understand it if someone considers her as the main lead.
    Tidus is the first character that you get to control and you do so for most of the game.There's a rule in movies (as well as games) that you have to show your main character (protagonist) as soon as possible.The developers also try to make this clear by having him say a couple of times "this is my story" (however egoistic this may sound).
    Yuna is one of the best secondary characters i've ever seen in a game...She helps the hero to discover and develop himself as well as to push the story beyond.She is the main reason that drives Tidus even more than his confrontation with his father.
    I believe that those who like Tidus as a character they do so because of Yuna.She really helps to make him look good.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

In RPGs, the main character is the one whom you are introduced to first (if not first, then it's because the first one you get to meet will soon die or be captured by the enemy), and serves as the impetus of beginning the journey. In FFX, Yuna serves neither of these, as she would have gone on with her journey no matter what happened.

This is true in Besaid, and is re-confirmed on the Thunder Plains. Though she is a primary, and very important character (if not more so than Tidus), she is not the main character, nor protagonist.

I always thought that Yuna should have been the main character, however the way the story is presented in FFX you cannot say that she IS the main character. She should have been, but she isn't. We see the story through Tidus' perspective, observing Yuna and getting used to the world around us as Tidus does. Tidus' fate is dragged along Yuna's path, but the game is still all about HIS fate and how he exists.

Ciddieless since 2004

I always thought Tidus was the main character becuase, well, you play as him.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Odaisé Gaelach View Post
    I always thought Tidus was the main character becuase, well, you play as him.
    Yeah, but the story focuses just as much, if not even more, on Yuna.

I consider Yuna to be the main heroine, but not the main character. I give that honor to Tidus, because as Sword already mentioned, the story is being told by his perspective.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Yuna is the main character until the party reaches Zanarkand, in my opinion, then it shifts to Tidus.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, actually.

The story is pretty much focused on yuna, it's just told through Tidus's POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades View Post
    I consider Yuna to be the main heroine, but not the main character. I give that honor to Tidus, because as Sword already mentioned, the story is being told by his perspective.

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

"Listen to my story."

'nuff sed.

If you are talking about who is the most significant character in the story, then its certainly NOT Yuna. Without Tidus, and more particularly Auron, Yuna would either have repeated the usual summoners' quest of defeating Sin with the Final Aeon or she would have given up.

As the plan to kill Yunalesca was Auron's and the motivation to change things was Tidus', either could be the main character. Basically though, I agree as you actually play Tidus, its him.

Nah, I think Tidus is the main character. It's "his" story. And it's played from his perspective. cally777 put it good. Without Tidus, Yuna would have repeated the summoners path and nothing would have changed.