Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrow Never Dies

Default Tomorrow Never Dies

What do you think of Tomorrow Never Dies? I didn't like this movie because of Michelle Yeoh she was too ugly to be a Bond girl...I mean even Grace Jones was a better looking Bond girl than Michelle Yeoh.

Ciddieless since 2004

You didn't like the film because you thought an actress was ugly?
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

i liked this movie

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

Quote Originally Posted by Odaisé Gaelach View Post
    You didn't like the film because you thought an actress was ugly?
    Yeah so? A lot of people didn't like the 1990 Dick Tracy film because Madonna was in it.

Ciddieless since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by John_912 View Post
    Yeah so? A lot of people didn't like the 1990 Dick Tracy film because Madonna was in it.
    If her acting was bad, or if she was badly cast, then that's a good reason. But if it was just because she was Madonna, that's not a good reason. Not liking a film just because one of the actresses was ugly - never mind how good of an actress she was, or how the rest of the film was - is unfair.

Plus I thought she was pretty hot.

I liked it. Elliot Carver was a bit weak as the main villian, but the action scenes were very good - especially the motorcycle chase. And Mr. Stamper.

Quote Originally Posted by Odaisé Gaelach View Post
    If her acting was bad, or if she was badly cast, then that's a good reason. But if it was just because she was Madonna, that's not a good reason. Not liking a film just because one of the actresses was ugly - never mind how good of an actress she was, or how the rest of the film was - is unfair.

Plus I thought she was pretty hot.

I liked it. Elliot Carver was a bit weak as the main villian, but the action scenes were very good - especially the motorcycle chase. And Mr. Stamper.
    Okay how about this reason? Tomorrow Never Dies would've been a better film if Martin Campbell directed it because GoldenEye was a good movie. Tomorrow Never Dies was boring in my opinion. *Yawn*

Ciddieless since 2004

Okay how about this reason? Tomorrow Never Dies would've been a better film if Martin Campbell directed it because GoldenEye was a good movie. Tomorrow Never Dies was boring in my opinion. *Yawn*
    That's better!

Michelle Yeoh is definitely not ugly - and if my memory serves me right she used to be Miss Malaysia or something back in the day.

Anyway, Miss Yeoh is such a badass when it comes to martial arts. She's up there with Jackie Chan and Jet Li.

As for the movie I thought it was so-so. Actually, Michelle Yeoh was the only really enjoyable thing about it in my opinion.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

I agree with John in saying that it was pretty boring. it wasnt as enticing as the other movies...and not many interesting gadgets
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Very paltry film overall, little more than a collection of Bond/action cliches in my opinion.
    The idea of manipulating the world via manufactured news was done well, though.

Michelle Yeoh's performance was one of the highlights, for me. Energetic performer, and possessing a strong beauty and maturity, in contrast to the wallflower types who so often end up cast opposite Bond.

Still, a highly forgettable movie in nearly every respect.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The lack of gadgets was made up for with a really awesome car.
    I liked the film, but it wasn't as good as Goldeneye, which I consider to be the best Bond film featuring Brosnan.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    The lack of gadgets was made up for with a really awesome car.
    I liked the film, but it wasn't as good as Goldeneye, which I consider to be the best Bond film featuring Brosnan.
    Congratulations on a safe journey!

And yeah, GoldenEye's my favourite Bond movie altogether.

This is a Bond movie which is quite average on many levels after the interesting GoldenEye, but it certainly has charm of its own.

First of all, I can't stress this one enough: the music in TND is a million times better than that trash of a score in GoldenEye. Eric Serra's synthetic approach wasn't suitable for a Bond film in the first place, and GoldenEye should've deserved a score which TND eventually got. David Arnold's score combines orchestra, synths, choir and even some ethnic instruments in a highly enjoyable score which modernized Bond scores and also retained the classic Barry roots which Serra's abysmal score failed to do. There are some great action cues, a notable example being "Station Break" which foreshadows the darker aspects of the "Paris and Bond" love theme while having a relentless rhythm as action takes place on screen.

Not only does David Arnold quote the Bond theme (e.g. in the thrilling "Backseat Driver" and the elegant "Company Car") but he also works two other significant themes into the mix as well as various motifs. The "Paris and Bond" love theme is very tragic and touching and evolves throughout the film. The "Surrender" theme works its way into the underscore and has an awesome ethnic performance in "Kowloon Bay". "Surrender" is performed as an end credits song by k.d. lang, and Arnold had a hand in writing it in a traditional Bond song style (gotta love the sultry vocals and the overall feel of the song). Originally it was meant to be the theme song for TND but thanks to some lame studio executives Sheryl Crow's awful song replaced it. Still, both "Surrender" and Arnold's score are reminiscent of some of Barry's best Bond scores and songs. TND is the best Bond score David Arnold has written so far.

Michelle Yeoh and Jonathan Pryce were spot-on in their roles, and Teri Hatcher's Paris was one of the most memorable Bond girls, although I guess the tragic storyline for her character was the thing that really made me care for her. Still, that particular tragic aspect gave more depth to the story and also showed more of Brosnan's Bond than we saw in GoldenEye. Some of the action scenes were quite nice, e.g. the bike/helicopter chase and the sinking of the Devonshire. The way the two villains died in the end was kind of anticlimactic in many ways, but then again we had some great scenes with Dr. Kaufman who was a wonderful despite not being a major character. The media angle in the story was rather interesting as well, and some of the location shots were simply breathtaking. And that car was just great.

All in all, Tomorrow Never Dies was satisfying on some levels but still somewhat disappointing in others. It kind of had a no-win situation because it came after the successful GoldenEye and had a hard time living up to it. Still, TND isn't a bad Bond film but certainly not the greatest either. To summarize, it's an average Bond film with some notable moments and a great score and song.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

My favourite James Bond film.

Average Bond film...no where near the likes of The Living Daylights or Goldeneye.